• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cauley Wooodrow, Jacob Murphy and Sam McQueen

Cauley Woodrow and Sam McQueen were trashed, particularly Cauley Woodrow, by some of the 'experts' on this forum and/or misused or under-used by the manager when they were at Southend on loan. Okay, recent trainees like Coulthirst, Loza, Cassidy and (despite his Wembley goal) Pygott never really looked the part and have since ended up in the lower reaches of the football pyramid, but Woodrow and McQueen looked to me to have a lot more potential. Time will tell if I am right or wrong in the longer term.

I thought Woodrow showed real glimmers of class while with us. Think he can be Prem I'd he continues to develop.

Cauley Woodrow and Sam McQueen were trashed, particularly Cauley Woodrow, by some of the 'experts' on this forum and/or misused or under-used by the manager when they were at Southend on loan. Okay, recent trainees like Coulthurst, Loza, Cassidy and (despite his Wembley goal) Pigott never really looked the part and have since ended up in the lower reaches of the football pyramid, but Woodrow and McQueen looked to me to have a lot more potential. Time will tell if I am right or wrong in the longer term.

It's a bit of catch 22 situation .............. bring in a young loan player with potential and they aren't great because it takes time on the pitch to develop that talent (often against highly experienced professionals who know a thing about stopping their opponent from playing) ............ and during that time on the pitch we (Southend) are developing a player that another club will benefit from in the longer term.

2 other players to mention - Assombalonga who fits the profile above - got better and better with experience. And Hendrie - looked good from the start.

I really think the changes to the loan system this year has made many clubs and managers have to think very hard about who they have in their squad and how to have depth and experience.

It's a bit of catch 22 situation .............. bring in a young loan player with potential and they aren't great because it takes time on the pitch to develop that talent (often against highly experienced professionals who know a thing about stopping their opponent from playing) ............ and during that time on the pitch we (Southend) are developing a player that another club will benefit from in the longer term.

2 other players to mention - Assombalonga who fits the profile above - got better and better with experience. And Hendrie - looked good from the start.

I really think the changes to the loan system this year has made many clubs and managers have to think very hard about who they have in their squad and how to have depth and experience.

I can't disagree with much in your comment. I just wish that these young, inexperienced and talented loanees were cut a bit more slack if they don't make an instant impact in the way that Assombalonga and Hendrie did. I thought McQueen deserved more time on the pitch than he was given - he was, to my mind, not any worse than some of our own players who were selected ahead of him. Although every point is precious to us at the moment, it will be sad if young Amos is not given at least a 10-minute run-out as a substitute in games where a fresh pair of legs would help us over the line to a positive result that's already pretty much in the bag.

I can't disagree with much in your comment. I just wish that these young, inexperienced and talented loanees were cut a bit more slack if they don't make an instant impact in the way that Assombalonga and Hendrie did. I thought McQueen deserved more time on the pitch than he was given - he was, to my mind, not any worse than some of our own players who were selected ahead of him. Although every point is precious to us at the moment, it will be sad if young Amos is not given at least a 10-minute run-out as a substitute in games where a fresh pair of legs would help us over the line to a positive result that's already pretty much in the bag.

Innis being a good example. He was on the victim of a ridiculous red card but many fans have somehow blamed him. He ticks a lot of good boxes for me but right now I know not many will agree.

Innis being a good example. He was on the victim of a ridiculous red card but many fans have somehow blamed him. He ticks a lot of good boxes for me but right now I know not many will agree.

Inniss doesn't tick the box for me. He's a big lad which will help him whilst he's younger, but I don't see him as someone who will become anything more than a league 2 defender at best. That said, I didn't think Adam Thompson was worth taking when we signed him permanently after a loan. I was wrong then and I hope I am with Inniss.

What I do think is that Tilson AND Brown both get good loans into our club. There are so many premiership and championship loanees knocking around the lower leagues who never really make it in the game (Clifford and Sawyer are 2 examples). If you look at our track record, we don't do badly overall.

I saw him at Peterborough and thought he hardly put a foot wrong.

Back