• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cav Miley

What's the difference between the 1st and 3rd lines on that graphic? They seem the same to me.

Also, can anyone interpret what they mean by a defensive action and a half ball recovery? People say stats don't lie, but it seems you can make statistics up to suit your aims.

I've never read it, but my dad used to bang on about a book called "How to Lie with Statistics". I might get round to reading it one day.

That's not to say Cav isn't brilliant because I think he is, and find it incredible he's never played league football, but those stats are a pile of crap.

Last edited:
Gone in the new year
Not sure about that, but any fifth tier team with genuinely good players will lose them to a club higher up at some point. With our current management team that doesn't scare me though - for once our scouting is good, and I think we'd replace them (assuming we're allowed to sign players).

The players are out there, as they always have been. The amazing thing is that very few managers seem able to scout them.

That's amazing baring in mind he has stated that CDM is not his preferred role.

He has been so good this season. Unsung hero and then some. He won't get the plaudits in most matches but he does all of the unseen stuff incredibly well. Best in that position since Lenny in my opinion.

What's the difference between the 1st and 3rd lines on that graphic? They seem the same to me.

Also, can anyone interpret what they mean by a defensive action and a half ball recovery? People say stats don't lie, but it seems you can make statistics up to suit you aims.

I've never read it, but my dad used to bang on about a book called "How to Lie with Statistics". I might get round to reading it one day.

That's not to say Cav isn't brilliant because I think he is, and find it incredible he's never played league football, but those stats are a pile of crap.
Everyone needs to read that book about stats , Cav is effective however I sometimes feel like Neal he's left to do to much, and needs a similar player alongside him ! Cave and Neal together would be very useful imo.

He has been so good this season. Unsung hero and then some. He won't get the plaudits in most matches but he does all of the unseen stuff incredibly well. Best in that position since Lenny in my opinion.
Not sure he’s unsung to be honest. He’s voted as being MOM by most match going posters nearly every game. But yeah defo Player Of The Year contender.

Really? Which position does he prefer then? Assume as an "8"?

He looks to the manor born as a "6" IMHO.

Stats should never be the basis of an opinion, they are there to back it up. The best example of that in our squad at the moment is Cav Miley. We have seen with our own eyes a ball lost near the edge of the box and he wins it back 40yds away close to the benches. You say to yourself how did he cover that much ground in just a few seconds

Stats can't measure how difficult the task was to start with. Same with shots on target and pass completion. A wide player who fires a cross in nice and early and forces a desperate defender to put it in his own goal hasn't completed a pass. Josh Wright was the master of pass completion without ever hurting a single team in any game he played.

People say stats don't lie, but it seems you can make statistics up to suit your aims.
There's a quote that says "figures don't lie but liars will figure", I think that's more accurate. Statistics can't lie, they're just numbers, but if you give them to someone that doesn't know what they're doing (or worse someone that does know what they're doing but is happy to misrepresent the findings for their agenda) then they'll probably draw the wrong conclusions.

He is an absolute joy to watch, the guy is everywhere and just doesn’t stop. A real engine and it really is unreal that he has never played in the football league.

Back