• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cavaghn Miley Signs

Think he’s more of a Harrison Neal/Luke Hyam/Gary Deegan/Jean-Paul Kalala
style player who’ll sit in front of the defence and tackle anything that moves rather than a box to box player.

The type of goals he’ll stop are that Dan Mooney goal at Altrincham someone linked to on other thread where Ralph shielded him inside and the central midfielder supposed to be covering that space was walking about aimlessly and then just stopped instead of staying on his toes and goal side.

If he can stop that type of goal whilst also being tidy in possession he’ll be a big upgrade over what we had before January.
I was with you until you said Luke Hyam.

Which means six teams will have better holding midfielders than us this season, so we're seventh before you even consider other positions

Who knew Dagenham fans had such a sense of humour?

For those not following at home he was ranked 6th so there aren’t six above him. Of the 5 above him one has just been promoted out of the division, one moved in January to the football league. This leaves him 4th. That is liable to change depending on the outcome of the play-offs and the summer’s transfer activity.

Also worth noting, if you had the 4th best player in each position in your squad, you'd overall very likely have the 1st/2nd best team, due to other teams having a really good DMC (so above Miley), but nothing else that competes.

Naturally, you don't need to have the best player in every position to be the best team.

Who knew Dagenham fans had such a sense of humour?

For those not following at home he was ranked 6th so there aren’t six above him. Of the 5 above him one has just been promoted out of the division, one moved in January to the football league. This leaves him 4th. That is liable to change depending on the outcome of the play-offs and the summer’s transfer activity.
What do Dagenham have to do with it? I'd expect better from a moderator than to constantly peddle this accusation. I don't have to prove my support for this club but surely how long I've been a member of this forum is a strong indicator

I'm also a lot happier with the fourth best holding midfielder though by similar logic he could be displaced by incoming transfers into this division

Which means six teams will have better holding midfielders than us this season, so we're seventh before you even consider other positions
Its very interesting... but not very relevant I suspect. We play a 2 man CM and it's not a diamond either- so we don't really play with a holding midfielder as such. We need two in there with great engines who do both sides of the game (with or without the ball). Not someone sat in front of the back three, getting in the way of the spare CB, with slippers on and cigar lit :-)

We seem to have finally realised that the side needs balance! Next season we might actually line up with left-footers on the left and right-footers on the right rather than square pegs in round holes. Not rocket science, is it?

We seem to have finally realised that the side needs balance! Next season we might actually line up with left-footers on the left and right-footers on the right rather than square pegs in round holes. Not rocket science, is it?

You say that, but that is what PB was looking for, hence him moving Ralph to the left sided centre half position, and the amount of times he mentioned he was looking for a left footed centre half.

Also, Mooney, although left footed, lined up on the right for Altrinham a lot and used to cut in, and we used Bridge, who is right footed on the left so he could cut in. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us have that as an option this season.

This could be an astute signing.

With Atkinson, Ogogo & Dunne all leaving, along with Neal’s loan deal finishing, we have no one in there.

Cav is a workhorse, who wins the ball, and gives it to those that can express themselves on it, very mould in the mould of Neal. He is a tidy user of the ball, but not really a “string puller” if you like.

Turned down another NL club to sign for us, and wasn’t released by Eastleigh, they wanted to keep him, but Cav wanted to try his luck elsewhere so he let his deal run down.

Another bit of good business, not quite the standout in the way that Mooney is, but another important part of the jigsaw.
Agree, an important player that’ll need be get through a lot of good unseen work for the team and the more rudimentary parts of the game. Defensive midfielders or even deep lying central playmakers are rarely perceived as exciting wow signings but can be crucial, look at the praise a Kante, Thiago or Rice receive from their Prem managers this season. Every bit as important as their more attacking team mates when you build from the back and transition forward and also in breaking up play before the opponents create threats in our defensive third

What do Dagenham have to do with it? I'd expect better from a moderator than to constantly peddle this accusation. I don't have to prove my support for this club but surely how long I've been a member of this forum is a strong indicator

I'm also a lot happier with the fourth best holding midfielder though by similar logic he could be displaced by incoming transfers into this division
It’s a strong indicator of your dedication to trolling.

Well this is awkward as he’s going to play on the right.

Back