• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
Absolute joke.

They lose 6-1 on aggregate and their opponents field an ineligible player for 2 minutes of the second leg and so Celtic are given a '3-0 walkover' after losing the actual game 2-0. This allows Celtic through on away goals!

There was a precedent set for this which is a very similar parallel (taken from the BBC website): However, in 2010, Uefa fined Debrecen £15,000 but rejected a protest from opponents Litex Lovech, who wanted the Hungarian side kicked out of the tournament for fielding an ineligible player.

Debrecen argued that they fielded Peter Mate in good faith as a substitute in Bulgaria when they were leading 4-1 on aggregate.

Uefa ruled that Debrecen had "no interest in fielding this player for the three last minutes of additional time, when the score was so clearly in its favour".

What are your thoughts on this? I am outraged!

I like Celtic so I'm not gutted it has happened, but it is (a) embarrassing that Celtic get through having got humped 6-1 and (b) pretty daft that a team can get reprieved on a technicality such as this.

Rules are rules are I suppose, but this is just silly.

I don't really get it, it's a major game and the squads are known in advance and the teams list hours in advance. How can an ineligible player get onto the pitch?! I'm not sure how this mistake can be made.

Oh well, when Southend are in the Champions League in a few years time we'll have to be extra careful...

Lol, what a stupid rule. Lose 6-1 and still go through. :hilarious:

Why is it a stupid rule? It stops teams fielding ineligible players.

Is the punishment harsh - not sure. However it has precedence so they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Common sense, Pubey. The bloke played for 2 minutes in the second leg! It looks dodgy to me...

The impact of 2 minutes in the 2nd leg is unlikely to be 5+ goals... but I suppose you never know... :winking:

Why is it a stupid rule? It stops teams fielding ineligible players.

Is the punishment harsh - not sure. However it has precedence so they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

As S4E said, he played 2 mins - it's not as though he had any bearing on the outcome of the match. Celtic were well and truly shafted, to reinstate them is a mockery.

Common sense, Pubey. The bloke played for 2 minutes in the second leg! It looks dodgy to me...

It's crazy but if the rule doesn't allow for common sense, then the teams need to be more careful. The only common sense legislated for is the sense in not fielding an ineligible player. I'm more intrigued by the precedent you mentioned from 2010 which potentially means we've not heard the last of this.

As S4E said, he played 2 mins - it's not as though he had any bearing on the outcome of the match. Celtic were well and truly shafted, to reinstate them is a mockery.

If the punishment is anything other than extremely harsh then it leaves itself open for abuse.

It's crazy but if the rule doesn't allow for common sense, then the teams need to be more careful. The only common sense legislated for is the sense in not fielding an ineligible player. I'm more intrigued by the precedent you mentioned from 2010 which potentially means we've not heard the last of this.

Well that's the main issue for me to be honest. There have been enough ineligible players over the years but this has many similar parallels to the one mentioned but the punishment was a fine. Not the rep this governing body wants at the moment!

If the punishment is anything other than extremely harsh then it leaves itself open for abuse.

Precedent already set 2010.

On 26 August 2010, Máté came on as a last-minute substitute in the 2:1 away win against Bulgarian side Litex Lovech in a UEFA Europa League game. Subsequently, the team from Lovech launched an official complaint, demanding a 3:0 win by default, as Máté had not been entered on the official squad list of the Hungarian team prior to the game. However, UEFA decided against changing the result of the match, settling for a fine of 15,000 euros to be paid by the Hungarians.

Back