• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seeing as the club do now tend to notice (mostly) when the fans come up with some good ideas, what kind of merchandise would you hope would be available to celebrate our impending centenary season?

I personally would really like a coffee-mug (not one of those horrible oversize latte things either) that featured say 4 or 5 of SUFC's all-time heroes (I nicked this idea from the Reading feature on Football Focus last Sat) & it got me thinking to perhaps post this thread. Suggested heroes for the mug could include Stanley, Freddy, Tilly, Chrissie Powell, Webby/Dave Smith, Richard Cadette etc etc etc.

I'd also like to see: -

A T-shirt detailing all our old badges.

A really good lapel badge.

Maybe a model of Roots Hall (possibly save this for our final season at our spiritual home)

Continuation of having smart playing/replica kit (lets not go back to the nasty shiny shirt days to maximise profits, especially if we're in the Championship & will be subject to far greater national exposure)

Retro reissue of the 80/81 Div4 winning shirt (or the shirt we wore at Anfield in 79).

Would also love to see the 2006/07 team do a photo-shoot in 1906/07 style team kit & clobber as Arsenal did for Nike when the launched the Highbury farewell shirt last summer.

Any other ideas/thoughts? I'm sure a lot of people on here can get creative as well as serious!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Mar. 29 2006,23:31)]Seeing as the club do now tend to notice (mostly) when the fans come up with some good ideas, what kind of merchandise would you hope would be available to celebrate our impending centenary season?

I personally would really like a coffee-mug (not one of those horrible oversize latte things either) that featured say 4 or 5 of SUFC's all-time heroes (I nicked this idea from the Reading feature on Football Focus last Sat) & it got me thinking to perhaps post this thread.  Suggested heroes for the mug could include Stanley, Freddy, Tilly, Chrissie Powell, Webby/Dave Smith, Richard Cadette etc etc etc.

I'd also like to see: -

A T-shirt detailing all our old badges.

A really good lapel badge.

Maybe a model of Roots Hall (possibly save this for our final season at our spiritual home)

Continuation of having smart playing/replica kit (lets not go back to the nasty shiny shirt days to maximise profits, especially if we're in the Championship & will be subject to far greater national exposure)

Retro reissue of the 80/81 Div4 winning shirt (or the shirt we wore at Anfield in 79).

Would also love to see the 2006/07 team do a photo-shoot in 1906/07 style team kit & clobber as Arsenal did for Nike when the launched the Highbury farewell shirt last summer.

Any other ideas/thoughts?  I'm sure a lot of people on here can get creative as well as serious!
Good ideas there. Especially the retro photo-shoot.

To be honest I'm not holding out much hope for any decent stuff. I would have hoped that they had sorted a few things out already, they have had 100 years warning after all
laugh.gif

A really decent home shirt is a must.
Something like Arsenal's Highbury kit this season (except in navy). Really distinctive, people know it's a special kit.
A simple but striking design - like Oldham, Ipswich or Reading (without the hoops)
As good as Nike are, it's time to ditch them - no more mass-manufactured, generic Teamwear kits - something that is custom-made for SUFC, even if that means a lesser known brand - some really good manufacturers like Lonsdale make good, club-specific kits.

Reproduction programme from as long ago as possible.

Centenary edition of Peter Mason's and Dave Goody's History of the Blues

A pamphlet listing famous/popular former players, with a "where are they now" section.

I'm passing on ideas for Merchandise soon, so i'll suggest them for you. Due to contractal reason though i will not be able to discuss whats happening. But i'm sure everyone will be happy.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Mar. 29 2006,23:31)]Would also love to see the 2006/07 team do a photo-shoot in 1906/07 style team kit & clobber as Arsenal did for Nike when the launched the Highbury farewell shirt last summer
good idea, but its a copyright issue there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Mar. 29 2006,23:52)]Reproduction programme from as long ago as possible.

Centenary edition of Peter Mason's and Dave Goody's History of the Blues

A pamphlet listing famous/popular former players, with a "where are they now" section.
Dave Goody has been working on a new updated History of Southend United Book for some time now. It was meant to be out in time for the centenary, anyone else have any info on this?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve_Clubshop @ Mar. 30 2006,00:03)]i was talking about centenary merchandise
Sorry, my post came in just after yours.
What I meant was, please pass on my idea about the new home shirt (presumably, a special centenary one)
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve_Clubshop @ Mar. 29 2006,23:55)]I'm passing on ideas for Merchandise soon, so i'll suggest them for you. Due to contractal reason though i will not be able to discuss whats happening. But i'm sure everyone will be happy.  
smile.gif
Ah. As I thought you are still at the idea stage. Best get some ideas 'passed on' soon, don't want to be caught out by a centenary suddenly coming from nowhere
biggrin.gif

Oldham's shirt this season is very nice -destinctive, bold, and also doubles as a special '100 years at boundary park'. It's also custom made (i believe) for them from a reasonably good (not cheap looking) manufacturer. Something to aim for next season?

0506Homejn_B.jpg

I like the ides of a reproduction programme of the first ever match. I know there wasn't one but surely some genius could put one together based on historical fact?

I think that Oldham shirt looks like the kind of kit teams may where on a sunday morning over Jones's memorial ground....

I have to say, the nike kits we have had have been amonsgt the best in recent times and I would be more then happy to stick with it. Id also hazard a guess that having Nike on other merchandise like T-Shirts and tracksuits probably helps the sales as well compared to if it was Carlollti or Lonsdale or Crevette...

Would definately like to see some more retro shirts....though it actually struck me that the Terry Gray (?) shirt that was recently on sale on ebay was similar to the current away shirt....eg, white with blue sleeves...so a little tweaking here and there and there could be a selection of retro shirts, or perhaps the design of an old shirt could be slightly modernised and used as our kit, a la Arsenal (as suggested earlier),

Would anybody go with what Charlton did with 1906 - 2006 in one big stripe down the front and if so would you have it as a one off kit or use the whole season?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dave Goody has been working on a new updated History of Southend United Book for some time now. It was meant to be out in time for the centenary, anyone else have any info on this?

Its would be better to wait until we are confirmed as League One Champion so its look nice on the new history book!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reading Shrimper @ Mar. 29 2006,23:47)]A really decent home shirt is a must.
Something like Arsenal's Highbury kit this season (except in navy). Really distinctive, people know it's a special kit.
A simple but striking design - like Oldham, Ipswich or Reading (without the hoops)
As good as Nike are, it's time to ditch them - no more mass-manufactured, generic Teamwear kits - something that is custom-made for SUFC, even if that means a lesser known brand - some really good manufacturers like Lonsdale make good, club-specific kits.
Lonsdale?.........................Are you mad?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?

Good idea, lets ditch the biggest name in sport!

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve_Clubshop @ Mar. 29 2006,23:55)]I'm passing on ideas for Merchandise soon, so i'll suggest them for you. Due to contractal reason though i will not be able to discuss whats happening. But i'm sure everyone will be happy.  
smile.gif
MUG!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A simple but striking design - like Oldham, Ipswich or Reading (without the hoops)

Yep me too, I reckon its mad to ditch one of the most sucessful kit maker in our history - 2 cup final, play-off final winner & on verge of another promotion wearing a Nike kit. Reading use Puma as kit maker, I never like Lonsdale kit & kits maker from Ipswich & Oldham, its not trendy innt?. Nike kits sell better than any another kits with maker which we never heard of it.

Back