• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

nicko1710

With the players we currently have who would you like to see as first choice centre half pairing ?
... for me it would be Barrett, for passion, leadership, commitment but does lack pace of course and Prosser, brave, committed and can play a bit too .... Bolger is too up and down for me and gives the ball away too much, Thompson would be my third choice just lacks a little bit of experience maybe

Yoda and the young Jedi aka Barrett and Bolger

That gives us good balance too with a right footer and a left footer.

I would say Barrett and Bolger too but totally agree with what has been said about Bolger keep giving the ball away. Some one needs to sit him down and tell him to stop trying this diagonal long ball that he always tries and literally never comes off.

Agreed that of the current selection I'd pick Barrett and Bolger, but that would probably be my second priority behind strikers to bring in new players. Don't think Prosser is up to League 1 standard as a first choice option, and although Thompson has come on leaps and bounds I don't think he's there yet either, and with Bolger prone to spells of poor form and Barrett close to retirement I'd want to add another player in that position who has experience in League 1.

Agreed that of the current selection I'd pick Barrett and Bolger, but that would probably be my second priority behind strikers to bring in new players. Don't think Prosser is up to League 1 standard as a first choice option, and although Thompson has come on leaps and bounds I don't think he's there yet either, and with Bolger prone to spells of poor form and Barrett close to retirement I'd want to add another player in that position who has experience in League 1.

This could be something we dip into the loan market for if we suffer injuries.

Our defence was the foundation for our promotion therefore each of the existing set of 4 CBs has earned a chance to play at a higher level. They all played their part as various points of the season and I think it would be extremely harsh for them to not be given a fair crack of the whip if the first choice pairing suffer from poor form or injury.

I would Barrett and Bolger will start but if Thommo stays and is fully fit would not be surprised to see him and Barrett as first choice. TBH I can also see all the 4 CBs in contention getting their chances through injury, form & resting players. Also dependent on who we are playing- Bolger is superior in the air and negating the arial attack, Thommo better on the deck where teams want to play thru us.

Barratt for me is first choice not just based on performance end of last year but for organization and experience- if he doesn't play Prosser does and funny enough for organizing and being vocal he is next best.

2 right footers, 2 left (so normally one from each) and plenty of competition. I think the CB position is potentially better than for a long time.

I would say Barrett and Bolger too but totally agree with what has been said about Bolger keep giving the ball away. Some one needs to sit him down and tell him to stop trying this diagonal long ball that he always tries and literally never comes off.

I'm sure the reason he tries the diagonal long ball is because someone has sat him down and told him to try it.

Start as we left off, Barrett and Bolger
This. However I would be intrigued to see if Bolger & Thompson can play alongside each other as I think technically they're our two best centre backs from what I've seen, but Barrett's leadership & organisational abilities makes him in to start with. Not sure he'll be up to League One football though, we'll see.

I'm sure the reason he tries the diagonal long ball is because someone has sat him down and told him to try it.

One thing is certain,if Bolger could execute that pass then he would be playing higher.Easy football is the best football.

Prosser and Barrett for me. Barrett - nuf said. Prosser - a good player, if not very good even. Don't see what people have got against him, has developed well after his first season

Bolger and Barrett to start and let it take its course from there.
Bolger to be instructed never to take the ball down and play it.

Well then that person needs to be sat told and given a stern talking too. He's not the best with the ball at his feet anyway let alone trying a 50 yard pass.

I don't disagree with your point, but for me it's more a tactical issue than a criticism of Bolger issue...

also it does work sometimes....what I will say though is that it's success depends a lot on who is playing on the left wing. There was one game towards the end of last season where Worrall was out there and it was a success Bolger picked him out 4 or 5 times and Worrall either controlled it or won it in the air. But Worrall is exceptionally good in the air for his size...when Bolger played those diagonal balls with Weston, McLaughlin or Atkinson out there then it is always going to be pretty unsuccessful....as I say, it's a tactical issue.

Full backs concede possession with plenty of long balls down the line - centre backs concede possession with diagonal balls...it's the tactic we use when under pressure, if there isn't a pass on. FWIW I agree with that tactic. As defenders you need to play the percentage game.

and finally whilst I'm being picky....if as you say Bolger isn't the best with the ball at his feet, wouldn't you rather he misplaced a 50 yard pass than misplaced a 10 yard pass?

Bolger and Barrett to start and let it take its course from there.
Bolger to be instructed never to take the ball down and play it.

Fearful of becoming Cian Bolger's one man defence committee, what exactly do people expect from him??

He shouldn't be playing long balls?
He shouldn't be taking the ball down and playing it?

WTF is he supposed to do with the ball then?

Fearful of becoming Cian Bolger's one man defence committee, what exactly do people expect from him??

He shouldn't be playing long balls?
He shouldn't be taking the ball down and playing it?

WTF is he supposed to do with the ball then?

Peter Clarke it out the ground.

Back