• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
A new era for Arsenal will begin tonight when Cesc Fabregas makes his debut as the captain of Arsenal. A touchy and defensive Arsene Wenger made the announcement at a press conference before the vital Champions League clash with Dynamo Kiev. Wenger has come under sustained assault from the press and a section of the Arsenal fans in recent weeks, but he refused to admit that the elevation of William Gallas to club captain was a mistake.

"William is a player that I rate and a man that I rate," stressed Wenger. "I have big respect for him. It was working for him as captain, but he was under big pressure from the press and you do not want that pressure to affect him or the team"

So was it a mistake to make him captain last season?

"No." said Wenger emphatically.

The problem, according to the Arsenal manager, is the fickle nature of the press and their ever-changing response to performances.

"When you win and the other team hits the bar ten times, you are a hero. When you lose after hitting the bar ten times, you are useless. You know how the media works."

This, I'm afraid to say, is not quite the case. Granted, there has been the usual over-reaction from the lower order of the press-pack, but suggestions that Wenger's time at the club is up are either the ramblings of madmen or the cynical efforts of attention-seekers. When Arsenal have been derided in the press for being useless it's been because, well, they've been useless. The 2-1 win over Manchester United was held up as a heroic victory because it seemed like evidence of an under-performing club reminding everybody of just how good they really are. When you see something as impressive as that and you put it against a wimpish 2-0 reverse at Stoke or the toothless capitulation at home to Aston Villa, there's going to be a chasm of difference in the write-ups. The media are supposed to be objective, they are not supposed to be anyone's supporters.

The appointment of Fabregas is interesting though. He is Arsenal's future and a figurehead of the club and their belief in youth. A world class midfielder with a professional attitude, his promotion will herald a new dawn at the club. He could galvanise the young players, split the cliques that apparently exist in the dressing room and begin to turn a disappointing season around.

However, those expecting miracles should be cautious. Fabregas, more than anyone, has suffered from the departure of Mathieu Flamini. Without the Frenchman to tidy up behind him, he's been dragged deeper into the midfield and has not looked sharp all season. Will the added responsibility shape him into a better player, or will it suck him under the waterline as he unsuccessfully attempts to balance the roles?

His first challenge will be figuring out to deal with Gallas, who will return to the Arsenal team for tonight's game. It would have been interesting to hear a little more about the way that relationship will evolve, and whether or not the deposed skipper will aid him in his duties, but as Wenger so pointedly put it yesterday at the end of a run of Gallas-themed questions, "that subject is closed."

buggery, i was hoping Wenger would make my day and utter the cliché.. "I send 11 captains onto that field"..

Back