• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Champions League

When Allesandro Costacurta came on for Milan in their CL game against Lyon last night, Jon Champion said he was the 4th oldest player to have appeared in the competition a few days shy of his 40th birthday.

Anybody know who the older 3 are? It never got picked up on commentary as Beglin (by the way, how awful was his analysis, almost made Ronnie Whelan sound knowledgable - OK, sorry I've now gone too far
tounge.gif
) started rambling on about something completely different.

I've always found Beglin to be a far better analyst than most of the others, it's the commentators that really get to me. comments like "do my eyes deceive me or have an italian team just conceded a goal?". they were hugely patronising towards benfica, who did superbly and almost managed to nick a draw to knock out barca, and even when arsenal played at real madrid. "how dare arsenal come to the bernabeu and score". well what the f%&k else do you expect them to try and do?! i bloody hope most games in the WC are on the Beeb, cant stand motty but he's better than anyone at ITV (except peter brackley)

anyway, rant over. oldest players in the Champions league are...

1. Dany Verlinden. 40years, 3months and 24 days. Club Bruges, dec 2003.
2. Tasos Mitropoulos. 40 years, 3 months, 17 days. Olimpiacos, Dec 1997.
3. Donato. 40 years, 1 month, 20 days. Deportivo la Corunha, Feb 2003.

then in 5th place now, is, quite surprisingly, John Lukic! 39years, 9months and 11 days when he played for arsenal at lazio in 2002. just behind him is david seaman

although funnily enough that didn't come right off the top of the head...had a bit of help from a little friend called google!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FeedTheGoat @ April 06 2006,12:47)]although funnily enough that didn't come right off the top of the head...had a bit of help from a little friend called google!
As if. You are a legend. Who is the oldest player ever in world football. Still playing I might add??

This is correct from 2003 so i'm not sure that he's still playing or even alive...the holder of that title was 79 year old Enrique Alcocer from Mexico for the Reforma Atheltic Club in Mexico City. He made his school debut in 1936 and his professional debut in 1944. The best thing is...and how's this for loyalty, he joined hi current club in 1952!!! that's 54 years!! he must have had 5 testimonials!! what a superstar!!!
(again, from google)

Back