• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Champions Trophy 2017

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Just saw a post by Ricky Otto in the England thread, but figured this tournament deserved its own one.

Can England finally win a major 50 over tournament? Hearts says yes, head refuses to shake off all those years of hurt. And I'm still resentful about my Mum making me to go to school half way through the Pakistan innings in the 1992 World Cup Final...

Just saw a post by Ricky Otto in the England thread, but figured this tournament deserved its own one.

Can England finally win a major 50 over tournament? Hearts says yes, head refuses to shake off all those years of hurt. And I'm still resentful about my Mum making me to go to school half way through the Pakistan innings in the 1992 World Cup Final...

I think we'll win this, then mess up the world cup next year. On paper I think we are the best team in it in and on home soil I can see why we are favourites with the bookies.

I agree Leo, it deserves it's own thread. Bring on Bangladesh tomorrow!

I think we'll win this, then mess up the world cup next year. On paper I think we are the best team in it in and on home soil I can see why we are favourites with the bookies.

I agree Leo, it deserves it's own thread. Bring on Bangladesh tomorrow!

Yes, deserved favourites although a little short (5/2) for my tastes. [aftertime klaxon] I remember backing Australia at that price for the 2007 World Cup and it seemed a steal but this doesn't feel like a bet to me.

Anyone going to any games? I'm off to Sri Lanka v South Africa on Saturday. Cheering on the Lankans, but not hopeful.

I have a friend who has done the same, 9/1 is good odds but think they will struggle to get top 2 in a group with us and Australia.

If honest and I hope I am wrong, I think we will struggle to get out of the Group, not inspired by Morgan as a leader

If honest and I hope I am wrong, I think we will struggle to get out of the Group, not inspired by Morgan as a leader

I was not a fan of Morgan either but you can't argue with his record since the world cup, We have evolved into an exciting modern ODI side under his stewardship. I don't really count the last game as we were missing a couple of players and the series was won, but the other 2 games against a good SA side we beat them without Roy "coming off". When he does, and he will, we are going rack up some big scores! The great thing is we still regrouped and got 300+ scores without things going to plan in the 1st 10 overs (powerplay)

Anyone going to any games? I'm off to Sri Lanka v South Africa on Saturday. Cheering on the Lankans, but not hopeful.

Nope unfortunately. The other half did get my hints but not knowing her cricket got tickets for the WI tour in September.

Nope unfortunately. The other half did get my hints but not knowing her cricket got tickets for the WI tour in September.

Still more than acceptable! This will be the first summer in a while that I've not gone to a Test match, but a couple of ODIs, some county T20s and a visit to Sir Paul Getty's ground at Wormsley help make up for it.

Yes, deserved favourites although a little short (5/2) for my tastes. [aftertime klaxon] I remember backing Australia at that price for the 2007 World Cup and it seemed a steal but this doesn't feel like a bet to me.

Can you do a cut and paste of the odds - betting sites are blocked.

For the first time in many years, rather than being a dark horse, New Zealand look a weak 5th favourite to me. Batting looks very flakey if Guptill and Williamson fail. Pakistan look a far better outsider. Similar batting weakness, better bowling attack.

I'm on England at 4s from months ago, but I don't particularly fancy it. At the prices now, I agree with India being the bet, they have a seam attack as useful as any other too this year. It's hard to split the top 4 in the betting really. Should be a good tournament.

For the first time in many years, rather than being a dark horse, New Zealand look a weak 5th favourite to me. Batting looks very flakey if Guptill and Williamson fail. Pakistan look a far better outsider. Similar batting weakness, better bowling attack.

I'm on England at 4s from months ago, but I don't particularly fancy it. At the prices now, I agree with India being the bet, they have a seam attack as useful as any other too this year. It's hard to split the top 4 in the betting really. Should be a good tournament.

Even if Williamson fires it's not going to hurt teams (cue him scoring 120 v England and England getting bowled out). The likes of Guptill and Corey Anderson can hurt.

Pakistan could be interesting if Faheem Ashraf is the real deal, but they've been terrible - worse than England with Ian Bell in the ODI side terrible - for a while now in ODIs.

The Champions Trophy is such a short tournament though that you only need a few good performances to win it - one player catching fire might be sufficient. And arguably the best limited overs team in the world isn't there in West Indies.

Think tomorrow will be very important for us. The openers haven't really caught fire yet (Roy especially) so if they can get a good score tomorrow it should set us up nicely for the tournament. Bangladesh got hammered the other day, will be interesting too see how they react!

Think tomorrow will be very important for us. The openers haven't really caught fire yet (Roy especially) so if they can get a good score tomorrow it should set us up nicely for the tournament. Bangladesh got hammered the other day, will be interesting too see how they react!

Yep 100% agree. Roy is given a remit to try and hurt teams in the powerplay and it didn't come off against SA. We have seen how devastating that can be when it does come off though and some of the scores we have racked up are phenomenal

This was an interesting comment on cricinfo this morning:
"Roy is a flat-track bully, most of the pitches will be flat, but the weather has given the seamers something early in the 3 game series. If Morgan had won all 3 tosses and chased, Roy could well have been the man in form going into Champions Trophy."

Last edited:
Looking like it's going to a 300 chase, could have been much much worse had Plunkett not struck in consective balls. Over to Roy and Hales to get us off to a good start!

Back