• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Former BluesinBC

I am not sure if this belongs in this forum, but thought it might amuse a few of you. I am still playing a game of CM (01/02 version) that I started about four years ago. I haven't looked at it for a while, as it was just getting too easy.

Starting with the actual Blues team of 2001 (one of the worst teams in the game according to the software writers), we reached the Premiership in four seasons. (Two seasons in the Championship). We won our first Championship three years later and have retained it 18 times. We have won 10 Champions' League titles and 8 FA Cups. Using a strategy of picking up former megastars in the twilight of their careers and giving them opportunities on the coaching staff, the following players have pulled on the Blue shirt:

David Beckham
Raul
Walter Samuel
Alessandro del Piero
Wayne Rooney
Roberto Carlos
Jose Antonio Reyes (last real life player still in the team)

The leading Blues scorer (overtaking the great Roy Hollis) is now Jonny Allan, who scored over 400 goals. I believe he is actually turning out for Northwich Victoria these days. Tilly, go and have a look at him.

Great post
smile.gif

I'm playing fifa 07 at the moment and im still in the championship ( first season ) but i have got all the best players in world including sir kev, freddy, flavs and barrett

Probably in the wrong forum but I too had a game where Johnny Allan scored for fun. Him and Jamie McGowan (formerly of third Plymouth) set all manner of records for England with nationalised Brazillian Fabio Henrique Moedim.

Good times. Shame my comp doesn't run any of the newer ones!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Former BluesinBC @ Oct. 14 2006,22:19)]I am not sure if this belongs in this forum, but thought it might amuse a few of you. I am still playing a game of CM (01/02 version) that I started about four years ago. I haven't looked at it for a while, as it was just getting too easy.

Starting with the actual Blues team of 2001 (one of the worst teams in the game according to the software writers), we reached the Premiership in four seasons. (Two seasons in the Championship). We won our first Championship three years later and have retained it 18 times. We have won 10 Champions' League titles and 8 FA Cups. Using a strategy of picking up former megastars in the twilight of their careers and giving them opportunities on the coaching staff, the following players have pulled on the Blue shirt:

David Beckham
Raul
Walter Samuel
Alessandro del Piero
Wayne Rooney
Roberto Carlos
Jose Antonio Reyes (last real life player still in the team)

The leading Blues scorer (overtaking the great Roy Hollis) is now Jonny Allan, who scored over 400 goals. I believe he is actually turning out for Northwich Victoria these days. Tilly, go and have a look at him.
That is actually quite scary you know. Head over to the Pub for the official FM/CM thread, and you'll see the similarities between your tenure and mine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jcrcr @ Oct. 14 2006,22:22)]I'm playing fifa 07 at the moment and im still in the championship ( first season ) but i have got all the best players in world including sir kev, freddy, flavs and barrett
Got fifa 07 as well and am currantly topping the championship table with a side containing Ricketts, Barrett with a mop of curly hair, a bald Maher and a white Jay Smith!
tounge.gif

Just got Southend relegated from the Championship in FM 2007, Eastwood finished as top scorer but that wasnt enough to save me
sad.gif

CM01/02 is the best that the series ever got.

FM2007 is great, but it just takes too long. I'm halfway through the season with Southend, but it's taken me about 20 hours of play!

CM01/02 is clear, concise and bug-free.

CM01/02 was a great game at that time, but as we have moved on it wouldnt stand up now. I played it again a while back and it doesnt feel half as good now as it did back then.

I cant see how you could play a management game now without the 2D. It would be like Tilson managing SUFC using Bluesworld commentary!

Agree with that completely. There is nothing better than seeing your pacy striker outpace 4 defenders and chip it over the keeper for a last minute winner. 01-02 was by far the best 1 until the 2D Pitch came into play.

You know what I'd like on future FM games? Proper commentary instead of that poxy text one. Imagine Motty commentating on a Freddy run from inside his own half...

"And Eastwood picks it up, he's gone round one... two... three... He's getting close to the edge of the box... HE SHOOTS! HE SCORES!"

So much better. Although I do have a bone to pick with the 2D pitch, I loved it when I took over my next match opponment and fecked up their formation so they had no-one down the centre and a forward in goal. My boys used to chip it in from the halfway line all game, leaving me to imagine a sublime goal. The 2D pitch comes along, and Neil Jenkins just about manages to bounce it over the keeper's head. Took the fun out of it for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Oct. 17 2006,14:10)]You know what I'd like on future FM games? Proper commentary instead of that poxy text one. Imagine Motty commentating on a Freddy run from inside his own half...

"And Eastwood picks it up, he's gone round one... two... three... He's getting close to the edge of the box... HE SHOOTS! HE SCORES!"

So much better. Although I do have a bone to pick with the 2D pitch, I loved it when I took over my next match opponment and fecked up their formation so they had no-one down the centre and a forward in goal. My boys used to chip it in from the halfway line all game, leaving me to imagine a sublime goal. The 2D pitch comes along, and Neil Jenkins just about manages to bounce it over the keeper's head. Took the fun out of it for me.
You big cheat you!

We have all done it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Oct. 17 2006,14:10)]You know what I'd like on future FM games? Proper commentary instead of that poxy text one. Imagine Motty commentating on a Freddy run from inside his own half...

They did that with CM2, probably before your time. It was truly awful.

Clive Tydlesley droning out, "It's a corner! For. SOUTHEND. It's swung in! By. SOUTHEND."

It really didn't work!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Oct. 17 2006,14:49)]They did that with CM2, probably before your time. It was truly awful.

Clive Tydlesley droning out, "It's a corner! For. SOUTHEND. It's swung in! By. SOUTHEND."

It really didn't work!
I can vouch for that. I ended up turning Tyldesley off.

Ahh, CM2. *gets all nostalgic*

CM2 had a great "cheat": buy Danny Murphy. This was when Southend were still in Div 1, and Murphy was still with Crewe. I bought him for about £350K with the transfer tribunal setting the fee.

Murphy responded by setting up 19 assists, firing us to the Division 1 title and getting us to the FA Cup final, beating Arsenal in the semi and losing 2-1 to double-winners Liverpool in the final because I bottled it and played defensively.

Still, it was enough to get me into the Cup Winners' Cup, beating Skonto Riga and Olympiakos before losing out to a Graeme Le Saux inspired (!) Werder Bremen. I finished 12th in the Premiership as well.

Ahh, how's that for a parallel universe, eh?!

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 17 2006,15:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Oct. 17 2006,14:49)]They did that with CM2, probably before your time. It was truly awful.

It really didn't work!
I can vouch for that.  I ended up turning Tyldesley off.

Ahh, CM2.  *gets all nostalgic*

CM2 had a great "cheat": buy Danny Murphy.  This was when Southend were still in Div 1, and Murphy was still with Crewe.  I bought him for about £350K with the transfer tribunal setting the fee.

Murphy responded by setting up 19 assists, firing us to the Division 1 title and getting us to the FA Cup final, beating Arsenal in the semi and losing 2-1 to double-winners Liverpool in the final because I bottled it and played defensively.

Still, it was enough to get me into the Cup Winners' Cup, beating Skonto Riga and Olympiakos before losing out to a Graeme Le Saux inspired (!) Werder Bremen.  I finished 12th in the Premiership as well.

Ahh, how's that for a parallel universe, eh?!

laugh.gif
Wow, what a game!

Not getting Southend to the prem and all that stuff, but being able to shut Clive Tydseley up. It was certainly ahead of its time.

I remember on one of my CMs (I got the lot from 01/02 up to CM4, rather difficult to place them), but probably CM4, I won the League Cup with Southend, I think, or did I lose to Man City in the final? Yes that was it! I lost to City in the final, they were gunning for a Champions League place, and I was praying they'd get it so I could take their spot in the UEFA cup. They did, and I got slaughtered by Feyenoord twice in the first round (this was back in the straight 2-legs a round system, not the group system we've got today).

CM2 is superb. Still need to get a windows 98 harddrive so I can play it again. It was the first ever game I got addicted to. Neil Lennon from Crewe for 200K was a great buy as well.

The commentary
laugh.gif
Gotta love the pause for "....Southend...." that was in the same tone of voice every time. Anybody else remember the commentary line "it hits the stanchion, and comes out" bit Spinner-esque from Friday night, that one. The amount of times I had Keith Dublin own goals from backpasses though
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

Back