• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Change of club's name?

I remember being too late to secure my seat in the Upper South when we played Hull City in the FA Cup a few years ago and got a ticket to the Lower South instead. I was amazed to see Sir David Amess sitting in front of me at the game in these not very good seats when surely he could have been accommodated in the directors box had he wanted to be.

He and I never shared each other’s politics but his death has really moved me and is tragic beyond words. Was great to see the minutes silence so perfectly observed today.

RIP Sir David ?

It's always irked me that Chelmsford is our county town (although a city)
And Southend a larger town 312,000 (urban) apposed to Chelmsford 168,000 (urban) is not a city and county town .

Peterborough is a city, yet the 'Posh' are still called Peterborough United

And Southend a larger town 312,000 (urban) apposed to Chelmsford 168,000 (urban) is not a city and county town .

4 biggest things that majorly of supporters would be against are name, colours, badge and ground. The golden vote for supporters trust should be something that Ron could give to members of the trust that would completely solidify us!

Don’t forget Southend (like Peterborough) is a unitary authority so we run our affairs separate from Essex County Council as such technically we are not part of Essex. Bit like when you go down the a13 from London you get to Thurrock and the grays area the signs are welcome to Thurrock then just before you get to the 5 bells round about it’s welcome to Essex

Don’t forget Southend (like Peterborough) is a unitary authority so we run our affairs separate from Essex County Council as such technically we are not part of Essex. Bit like when you go down the a13 from London you get to Thurrock and the grays area the signs are welcome to Thurrock then just before you get to the 5 bells round about it’s welcome to Essex

That's so true.

I was in a conversation with a friend a few months ago and we got on the topic of council tax. I told him I pay my council tax to Southend council AND I also pay towards Leigh on Sea council (being a resident of Leigh). Needless to say he didn't believe me (being an Essex guy himself) and he got a bit narked with me. The next morning I showed him my council tax letter with the breakdown..... It's just what it is, London is a big example of differences.

My old man is getting on a bit and he didn't believe me when I said I pay towards Leigh on sea council (though he's always been a know it all). He lives in Thorpe Bay.

Do You know, I've never thought of that.
Been trying to think of Cities that don't call their football clubs 'City'

Brighton, Wolverhampton, Carlisle. Derby, Hereford Leeds, Liverpool, Newport,
Sunderland, Southampton, Sheffield, Nottingham, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Preston.

are ones that I can think of, and these would be the main teams, i.e there might be a Nottingham City for all I know.

If we change our name it should be Olympic Southend to reflect the fact that Southend hosted the 2012 Olympics.

Back