• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Change of Commentary

McNasty

E-mail sent to those saddos at Essex Radio when the commentary stopped about 7 mins before the end of the match.

I am disgusted, as a Southend United fan, that our match commentary has stopped in favour of the last match at Layer Road. The sooner Essex Radio and their biased team realise that Col Ewe is a smaller club and have no right to a broadcast on the grounds that it's the final bit of the relegated team's match at the dump that is Layer Road. It's a shame there isn't an alternative to Essex Radio because the south of the county would listen to another station en masse.

Mcnasty

Essex radio ... That includes both clubs, and despite hating Colchester I think what they did wasnt unreasonable. Our automatic hopes had ended pretty much ..

Why the furore? Southend losing in a pretty meaningless match, so turn over for the last five minutes of a pretty historic game no matter how scummy the team may be.

Maybe, but surely both people who were interested in Colchester's game were at the ground?

I'm more annoyed that I couldn't get Blues World to work in the five minutes that I had left to try it.

This is my email.

What an absolute joke to change over to the Colchester game, from the Southend game, with 7 minutes to go. Absolute shambles. Im sorry but you have lost me as a listener.

Why the furore? Southend losing in a pretty meaningless match, so turn over for the last five minutes of a pretty historic game no matter how scummy the team may be.

Meaningless? wW would be 2 points from automatic promotion if we had off won I know at the time it seemed pretty unlikely but thats not really the point.

Not half as bad as the meaningless waffle that amounts to the commentary. Today's goal showed why I usually just have SKY 405 on. They were so tied up in their inane clueless drivel that they more or less missed the goal.

Meaningless? wW would be 2 points from automatic promotion if we had off won I know at the time it seemed pretty unlikely but thats not really the point.
Colchester's last game at their ground - more meaningful, has more emotion with it. Honestly, some of you need to stop thinking of everything as 'us versus them'. In a couple of years when it's the last game at Roots Hall, and Colchester are 1-0 down with no sign of an equaliser away from home, you'd want the station to change to Roots Hall. I just can't see why everyone is getting so uppity.

Colchester's last game at their ground - more meaningful, has more emotion with it. Honestly, some of you need to stop thinking of everything as 'us versus them'. In a couple of years when it's the last game at Roots Hall, and Colchester are 1-0 down with no sign of an equaliser away from home, you'd want the station to change to Roots Hall. I just can't see why everyone is getting so uppity.

You said our game was meaningless I was just pointing that it wasn't.

It was annoying when they switched but i'm really not that bothered about it.

Last edited:

Perhaps because they have a North and South Essex frequency - such an easy solution, everyone is happy.

Calm down dear , and its BBC Essex not Essex Radio ( no such thing !) . Surely they were entitled to switch for the last 7 minutes , cant see the problem , the commentary was still available online I beleive to subscribers of Blues World if anyone was that desparate to hear it ! . I think they do a pretty good job and I enjoy their coverage of all local football , which lets face it you aint gonna get nowhere else . The Clue is in their name BBC ESSEX .

Calm down dear , and its BBC Essex not Essex Radio ( no such thing !) . Surely they were entitled to switch for the last 7 minutes , cant see the problem , the commentary was still available online I beleive to subscribers of Blues World if anyone was that desparate to hear it ! . I think they do a pretty good job and I enjoy their coverage of all local football , which lets face it you aint gonna get nowhere else . The Clue is in their name BBC ESSEX .

Which shows how wound up I was.

You said our game was meaningless I was just pointing that it wasn't.

It was annoying when they switched but i'm really not that bothered about it.

Then stop belittling the point, you very well know what Bluetonic is saying, all you are doing is taking a swipe at him for the sake of it.

Perhaps because they have a North and South Essex frequency - such an easy solution, everyone is happy.

This is exactly the reason people were annoyed, why would people listening on the southern frequency to Southend's final away match of the season "proper" possibly want to listen to the end of Colchester's game instead of their own? The whole afternoon was one massive "celebration" of their time at Layer Road, which in my opinion, was perfectly welcome on the northern frequency but not on our southern frequency. It was also the fact that there was no warning it was going to be happening that was annoying.

This is exactly the reason people were annoyed, why would people listening on the southern frequency to Southend's final away match of the season "proper" possibly want to listen to the end of Colchester's game instead of their own? The whole afternoon was one massive "celebration" of their time at Layer Road, which in my opinion, was perfectly welcome on the northern frequency but not on our southern frequency. It was also the fact that there was no warning it was going to be happening that was annoying.

Loads of Irateness !

Idiots who run radio stations just haven't got a clue of how annoying their switching us to be complelled to listen to unscheduled broadcast of our fiercest rivals. How low can they go ?

Ken did the right thing by emailing them, and the more that do so, the greater the prospect they will get the message.

Back