• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Changes to refuse and recycling waste in Southend.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Not yet been approved, but it's looking very likely that residents in the Southend area will be provided with wheelie bins and black bags will be collected fortnightly, pink bags/blue boxes the interim week and food caddie collection to stay weekly.

Cue increased queues at the recycling centres I guess and selfish prats that can't be bothered putting their rubbish out every week.

Not yet been approved, but it's looking very likely that residents in the Southend area will be provided with wheelie bins and black bags will be collected fortnightly, pink bags/blue boxes the interim week and food caddie collection to stay weekly.

Cue increased queues at the recycling centres I guess and selfish prats that can't be bothered putting their rubbish out every week.
This is what we do in my town in Kent. No problem.

I can't believe it has taken Southend so long to come into line with the rest of the country. We've been doing that for years. They've also managed to save money by closing the recycling centres mid-week (Tues/Wed/Thurs) so there's no evidence that it has increased the queues, quite the opposite.

Apart from anything there's the added benefit that foxes don't rip open bags and throw rubbish all over the pavement.

W

We all ready do it in Leicester !????

I can't believe it has taken Southend so long to come into line with the rest of the country. We've been doing that for years. They've also managed to save money by closing the recycling centres mid-week (Tues/Wed/Thurs) so there's no evidence that it has increased the queues, quite the opposite.

Apart from anything there's the added benefit that foxes don't rip open bags and throw rubbish all over the pavement.
We have a fox who is capable of opening our food caddie when locked by its handle and with a house brick on top of it. He's struggling with two bricks I'm finding.

We have a fox who is capable of opening our food caddie when locked by its handle and with a house brick on top of it. He's struggling with two bricks I'm finding.
I’ll report u to the RSPCA !

Bins would be great.

I will be able to put all the stuff that they will not normally take at the bottom of the bin, and save me a trip down the recycling centre.

Weekly black bag collections are one of the few things Southend council do well ..
just because the rest of the country is happy with fly tipping and c..p being dumped everywhere there is no need to follow suit. The lorrys are out every day each week. How much of a saving can they make.. well other than firing some hard working staff who did the Covid stint without whining

That's interesting, I'm well over due some pink bags......

Keeping food waste weekly makes a lot of sense, imagine the smell if it was 2 weekly.

Bins would be great.

I will be able to put all the stuff that they will not normally take at the bottom of the bin, and save me a trip down the recycling centre.

Like grass cuttings ;) I always sneak a few in the black bags over a couple of weeks :)

How many wheelie bins would they plan on providing? Asking for the neighbours who regularly have 7 or 8 black bags out per week plus they don't recycle anything (food all goes in black bags as well so they get ripped to shreds by foxes and deposited all over the close most weeks) ?

Thurrock have got it right. 3 wheelie bins. Green for general waste, blue for recycling and Brown for food waste / garden waste.

Green and Blue bins are collected weekly and Brown is collected every 2 weeks

In Rochford we have black bins for recyclables and purple lidded bins for non-recyclables with bin collection alternating each week. Plus a green bin for food waste, foliage, grass, leaves etc which is emptied every week. Been one of the top councils in the UK for recycling for many years.

Do they wash out the dirty/smelly bins with detergent/disinfectant before putting back neatly in your front garden?

Reactions: RHB
Plans for wheelie bins and fortnightly rubbish collections thrown out, black/pink bin bags collections remain weekly. (For now)

Interesting that instead of this plan they intend to go out to tender again stressing the popularity of weekly collections amongst Southend residents.

I must admit that the wheelie bin debate is a bit irrelevant to me although I hate them. They are ugly and scar the environment. I remember being in Bristol at the beautiful Victorian square W G Grace lived in and it was cluttered with wheelie bins and looked awful. Anyway the issue for me is that a sizeable number of Southend residents don't recyle and have absolutely no intention of doing so. Everything gets chucked in a black sack. Foxes do not rip sacks unless they smell food. Everything will get chucked in the wheelie bins. This comparison with Rochford made me smile and unfortunately bought back a few memories of my job before retirement. A few stats. At one time child care services in Essex were organised on a group basis. Locally Southend was joined with Castle Point and Rochford borough council areas. Now on average there were 350 children in care. 250 were in Southend, about 60 in Castle Point and about 40 in Rochford. Southend has a very different social makeup.

Back