• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Changing careers

SUFC_Ross

Coach
I'm interested in changing career, would rather do something much more hands on either Sparky or a Plumber, has anyone made a drastic career change or anyone got any advice on how to go about doing it, I'm so bored doing what I do and even changed jobs in the same sector but am equally as bored now!

Lot of training to be an electrician - if you fancy it you'd have to go to college to get your 17th Edition Regs (BS7671). I changed roles some years back from the front line of maintenance, had to take a pay cut, but now I'm on more than I would be if I stayed in the role (or I'd be dead through boredom).

I went from being a sales manager to insurance in a technical capacity (ie no sales involved), so quite a change with just a few office skills transferrable. Mine was semi enforced as I was made redundant, I could have taken another sales job in another area at lower pay and start again establishing contacts etc. I decided to change career as I knew a few people involved in the Lloyds market and they were all doing very well for themselves. So I started from the bottom at 30 years old earning less than half my previous salary and nearly 5 years on it's going well. The first couple of years were a struggle but if you really want it you'll make it work and when you get back to a point where you can afford little luxuries again you appreciate them so much more. Go for it!

I went from being a sales manager to insurance in a technical capacity (ie no sales involved), so quite a change with just a few office skills transferrable. Mine was semi enforced as I was made redundant, I could have taken another sales job in another area at lower pay and start again establishing contacts etc. I decided to change career as I knew a few people involved in the Lloyds market and they were all doing very well for themselves. So I started from the bottom at 30 years old earning less than half my previous salary and nearly 5 years on it's going well. The first couple of years were a struggle but if you really want it you'll make it work and when you get back to a point where you can afford little luxuries again you appreciate them so much more. Go for it!

I'm in the Lloyds market now just lost all interest completely! but good for you glad you're smashing it!

Lot of training to be an electrician - if you fancy it you'd have to go to college to get your 17th Edition Regs (BS7671). I changed roles some years back from the front line of maintenance, had to take a pay cut, but now I'm on more than I would be if I stayed in the role (or I'd be dead through boredom).

My main concern is I have a young family who rely on me to put a roof over heads and food on the table, big part of me is telling me to put up and shut up, but I know this is what I want to do and like you I cant see myself in here in even 2 years time if I carry on like this, is it possible to do the 17th Edition Regs as an evening course do you know? or weekend courses?

My main concern is I have a young family who rely on me to put a roof over heads and food on the table, big part of me is telling me to put up and shut up, but I know this is what I want to do and like you I cant see myself in here in even 2 years time if I carry on like this, is it possible to do the 17th Edition Regs as an evening course do you know? or weekend courses?

I'd imagine that you can. Check out your local college.

However be warned - there's not much money in it. I had some colleagues leave comfy railway jobs to set up their own company - however they came back a few years later when it went under.

My advice is get your regs, go contracting on the Railway. Loads of electrification schemes starting up all over the country, not to mention the real chance of the whole of the Southern (DC) area to become Overhead Line in the near future.

I'm in the Lloyds market now just lost all interest completely! but good for you glad you're smashing it!

I wouldn't say I'm smashing it but I'm happy with the progression I've made. How long have you been doing it? Broker? Syndicate? Underwriting? Claims? Have you thought of something where some of you knowledge may be transferable? If you are fed up of office work maybe a field loss adjuster or something?

I don't know if it will of any use, but I use this site as a DIYer at times. There are multiple forums and you may be able to get some start up advice on one of the threads. Be warned, some of the posters make everyone on here look like pussycats, but if you are genuine, then the old stagers will always offer advice and help. Good luck in whatever career you choose.

As jobs go I've found that retirement offers some wonderful opportunities and you don't have to worry about Monday mornings anymore.:smiles:

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forum.php

And it seems that your current job keeps you very busy.

If you are ok at diy then become a builder,i am and im an idiot but between 12 and 3 im a waiter and im crap at that as well.
Set your partner up on the net doing dropshipping and get tax credits to top you up whilst you change.

I used to work in a sponge and J cloth factory and now I write software for an investment bank.

It wasn't a direct move to be fair.

I'm in the claims department at a Lloyds broker, yourself? I have thought about loss adjusting to be honest but like most things I'm not sure if its for me, I suppose you just have to keep trying until you find the right job for you.

Here's an interesting one. I got talking to the electrician that does all the work on our house and my wife's practice. (He's a really nice guy, and because he lives very close by on the same road he even did some emergency work for us about 7.30pm on New Year's eve a few years back, and didn't charge us.) It turns out he's a bit of a dark horse, and also owns a string of rental properties in NW London.

It turns out after a few years in the job he got to know a lot of people in various different trades, who he uses to do the work on his properties, and because he knows them all they don't rip him off, and he doesn't need a managing agent to maintain the properties.

If you have some money saved and can afford to, why not take a cut in pay, with a long term view? You never know, it could lead to two new careers.

When I worked for an Investment Bank in Canary Wharf I also worked with a guy who left to become a plumber. He was a public schoolboy who he actually boarded because his parents lived mostly in Spain. Without telling anyone at work he was taking evening classes in plumbing and left to join Pimlico Plumbers. He was even featured in a TV programme. His fiance (who worked in HR at the bank) and his family were fully supportive. Basically he did what you've done: he got bored and decided to do something more hands on. I know it's not the same since he wasn't married, and didn't have kids, but again, if you have money saved and can afford to forego some income at least in the medium term then I'd go for it if I was you.

Londonblue, after talking things over with the Mrs and a little bit of research, that is the plan, get some more money behind us over the next 12-18 months take a cut in pay and go for it!

Londonblue, after talking things over with the Mrs and a little bit of research, that is the plan, get some more money behind us over the next 12-18 months take a cut in pay and go for it!

Good man! And good luck. Even if you never earn the same again, if it makes you happier then it will be worth it for you and your family. Moreover, if you end up working for yourself, and can be more flexible with your working hours then your family will be the real winners.

Good luck to you! I would say re-training as a plumber, electrician or gas engineer are pretty sensible if you want to try something different. All are trades which have relevance still in this day and age and certainly can agree about sparkies and working on the railways - look into a company called Thales. Friend of ours is on permanent nights - works Mon - Thurs, goes in about 10 o'clock and is home and in bed again by 3 and earns a bloomin' fortune!

Of course, many women have to change careers - by virtue of becoming a mother! :winking: Many of us also then have to change again when we go back to work after - I've effectively had three "career" changes!

I use to be a deputy manager at Southend Hospital, made 1 minor error and I was out on the door. At the time of my dismissal I was uninterested in nursing as 90% of my time was paper work and staying late unpaid. Seven years later I'm driving my own taxi and loving the job (most of the time). The money is a lot better, I'm my own boss and life is great.

Back