• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Leeboy

Original and possibly best
Staff member
RADIOHEAD - OK Computer
U2 - The Joshua Tree
NIRVANA - Nevermind
MICHAEL JACKSON - Thriller
PINK FLOYD - Dark Side of the Moon
OASIS - Definitely Maybe
THE BEATLES - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
MADONNA - Like a Prayer
GUNS N' ROSES - Appetite For Destruction
THE BEATLES - Revolver
R.E.M. -Automatic for the People
THE BEATLES - The White Album
QUEEN - A Night at the Opera
COLDPLAY - Parachutes
OASIS - (What's the Story) Morning Glory
ALANIS MORISSETTE - Jagged Little Pill
LED ZEPPELIN ? Led Zeppelin IV
THE VERVE - Urban Hymns
JIMI HENDRIX - Are you Experienced
THE SMITHS - The Queen Is Dead
JOHN LENNON - Imagine
RADIOHEAD - The Bends
BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS - Exodus
THE STONE ROSES -The Stone Roses
SIMON AND GARFUNKEL - Bridge Over Troubled Water
BJORK - Debut
THE DOORS -The Doors
ABBA - Arrival
MICHAEL JACKSON - Off the Wall
DURAN DURAN - Rio
SEX PISTOLS - Never Mind the b******s Here's the Sex Pistols
DAVID BOWIE -The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
THE BEACH BOYS - Pet Sounds
JOY DIVISION - Closer
THE ROLLING STONES - Let It Bleed
BLUR - Parklife
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Born to Run
BILLIE HOLIDAY - Lady Sings the Blues
THE WHITE STRIPES - Elephant
BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid
THE SPECIALS - Specials
THE ROLLING STONES - Exile on Main Street
FRANK SINATRA - Songs for Swingin' Lovers!
THE CLASH - London Calling
THE PRODIGY - The Fat of the Land
THE VELVET UNDERGROUND - The Velvet Underground and Nico
DIRE STRAITS - Brothers in Arms
PIXIES - Doolittle
ARETHA FRANKLIN - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
THE LIBERTINES - The Libertines
HAPPY MONDAYS - Pills 'N' Thrills and Bellyaches
PATTI SMITH - Horses
THE WHO - Tommy
LOU REED - Transformer
BOB DYLAN - Blood on the Tracks
PRINCE - Sign 'o' the Times
DIDO - No Angel
AIR - Moon Safari
ELTON JOHN - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
THE JAM - All Mod Cons
JEFF BUCKLEY - Grace
FLEETWOOD MAC - Rumours
MOBY - Play
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
THE POLICE - Synchronicity
JONI MITCHELL - Blue
CURTIS MAYFIELD - Superfly
ELVIS PRESLEY - The Sun Sessions
OUTKAST - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
PULP - Different Class
KRAFTWERK - Trans-Europe Express
MASSIVE ATTACK - Blue Lines
BECK - Odelay
STEVIE WONDER - Songs in the Key of Life
KATE BUSH - Hounds of Love
TALKING HEADS - Fear of Music
EMINEM - The Marshall Mathers LP
MARVIN GAYE - What's Going On
GEORGE MICHAEL - Faith
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER - The Original Movie Soundtrack
PRIMAL SCREAM - Screamadelica
JOHN COLTRANE - A Love Supreme
LOVE - Forever Changes
PAUL SIMON - Graceland
NICK DRAKE -Five Leaves Left
MEAT LOAF - Bat Out of Hell
DUSTY SPRINGFIELD - Dusty in Memphis
DE LA SOUL - 3 Feet High and Rising
THE STROKES - Is this It
MADNESS - One Step Beyond...
ROBBIE WILLIAMS - I've Been Expecting You
NEIL YOUNG - After the Gold Rush
PUBLIC ENEMY - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
BLONDIE - Parallel Lines
THE EAGLES - Hotel California
JAMES BROWN - Sex Machine
THE STREETS - A Grand Don't Come for Free
DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
ROD STEWART - Every Picture Tells a Story
The HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare!

Opinions?

Same old story then in terms of the top 3 if not the top 10. The missus said to me we should watch it & I said "Nah, you can guess what they will all be!"

Also, personally, His N Hers is a far better Pulp album than Different Class. Glad to see the works of JC aren't forgotten though!

Oh & how can Jagged Little Pill rank higher than Urban Hymns, The Queen is Dead, The Bends, Never Mind the B******s & Closer?
rock.gif
mad.gif
Isn't THAT Ironic?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ April 18 2005,09:19)]DIDO - No Angel
WTF?

suspect.gif
oops.gif

Shurrrley shum mishtake...? I'm gobsmacked. Musical wallpaper at its very worst. How on earth can that make the top 100, whilst there isn't a single fcuking Cure album there (I'd pick Head on the Door, personally)...

Gutted... disbelieving, really.

sad.gif
down.gif

Fcuking Dido, fer feck's sake.

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ April 18 2005,11:09)]Likewise Matt - no New Order or Manic St. Preachers...............
suspect.gif
The Holy Bible IMHO has to be one of the seminal albums of the past 25 years. I neglected to notice it wasn't on there on my 1st look at the overall 100. Also, surely the 1st New Order album should have at least make the chart.

Out of interest, was this a usual Channel4 website/phone vote? They're always skewed!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ April 18 2005,11:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ April 18 2005,11:09)]Likewise Matt - no New Order or Manic St. Preachers...............
suspect.gif
The Holy Bible IMHO has to be one of the seminal albums of the past 25 years.  I neglected to notice it wasn't on there on my 1st look at the overall 100.  Also, surely the 1st New Order album should have at least make the chart.

Out of interest, was this a usual Channel4 website/phone vote?  They're always skewed!
totally agree with you mate.

yeah, it was a 'public' vote

There's some great albums there. Good to see De La Soul's seminal album is there and John Coltrane.

Good to see not too many twee indie albums either.

I am suprised that Chicken Rhythms by Northside, PigeonHole by the New Fast Automatic Daffodils or Sundew by the Paris Angels haven't made the top 100.

Would have liked to see 'Doolittle' 'Parallel Lines' and 'Songs in the Key of Life' all come in much higher.

Also, I've never really 'got' 'OK Computer'. Had it for years, listened to it many times, but have never thought it to be that great. As this is the second such poll it has topped (Q Magazine in 1998 being the other), I keep wondering what I'm missing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ April 18 2005,11:49)]Also, I've never really 'got' 'OK Computer'. Had it for years, listened to it many times, but have never thought it to be that great. As this is the second such poll it has topped (Q Magazine in 1998 being the other), I keep wondering what I'm missing.
I hear something different in that album, everytime I listen to it. The production on it is totally amazing, so much so that the times I bought a new stereo I've taken it (along with His N Hers) to the shop to test out what I'm going to buy.

Also, seeing them live helped me hear stuff on there that I'd never heard before, the little Jonny Greenwood riff at the climax of Paranoid Android springs to mind. Still, I am a bit Radiohead obsessed & probably the only person I know who can see positives in (& still listens to) Kid A, Amnesiac & Hail To The Thief

[b said:
suspect.gif
Ridiculous not to have any of the three bands you and I mention - three of the best British bands of the last 25 years - but to have Dido there. I'm still gobsmacked.

wow.gif

OK, time to start a list of albums we'd rather see in the top 100 instead of bloody Dido.  I'll open the bidding with any of the following:

The Cure - Head on the Door
Roni Size & Reprazent - New Forms
Faithless - Reverence
U2 - Achtung Baby
Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
Sting - The Soul Cages
Crowded House - Woodface
Portishead - Dummy
Everything But The Girl - Walking Wounded
AC/DC - Back in Black

Yours, still in complete disbelief that Dido made the Top 100 whilst none of the above albums did,

Matt

Born to Run is way too low. I mean, behind Abba and Queen - you have got to be joking!

MtS: Possibly U2 are not represented quite as well as they should be, but I don't think many would agree with you that The Unforgettable Fire is the album that's missing from the 100. Too many duff tracks. Achtung Baby! would get my vote. Now there's an experiment that U2 got right.

These six for starters:

Massive Attack - Protection
Faith No More - Angel Dust
The Smiths - The Smiths
British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power
Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists
Pixies - Bossa Nova

Incidentally, of the 100 listed, I own 36. There are some in the list I have no intention of buying, but the show did remind me of some of the gaps in my collection I've been intending to fill...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gremlin @ April 18 2005,12:54)]MtS: Possibly U2 are not represented quite as well as they should be, but I don't think many would agree with you that The Unforgettable Fire is the album that's missing from the 100.  Too many duff tracks.  Achtung Baby! would get my vote.  Now there's an experiment that U2 got right.
Fair enough... for me, it was a call between TUF and Achtung Baby - I'd be happy to substitute it...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 18 2005,12:58)]Sting?!?!?!?!
laugh.gif

I knew someone would have a go at me for that - I was expecting it to be Mad Cyril. OK, so I'm an unabashed Sting fan - so can understand if people disagree with my choice. It is, I should point out, only my choice.

In any event, even if you're not a Sting fan, I would still heartily recommend The Soul Cages to you. It is musically more diverse and adventurous, and lyrically a far more moving, personal account of Sting coming to terms with his father's death than anything that Dido has ever done - which is (so far as I can make out) a muzak-inspired "uhh, here are some songs I wouldn't mind listening to in the car" (reportedly what she said when asked about her "musical inspiration" for the album).

Oh, I've just realised I've left another off my top 10... Crowded House's Woodface. Time for some tinkering.

Matt

Suprised, but pleased, that The Strokes made it in at number 81.

Dido is only in there because all the middle aged women would have voted for it. I don't think i know a single woman who doesn't like her
down.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ April 18 2005,12:55)]but the show did remind me of some of the gaps in my collection I've been intending to fill...
Same here, next pay day should bring a trip to the record shops
biggrin.gif

Back