• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Charity cup chats

Interesting interview with Kevin Bond, thought he came over much better than in anything I heard from him when he was manager. He mentioned having to play a system to suit the players you have available, for me that was he didn't do and why it all went so wrong. I look forward to listening to the other interviews, definitely worth a listen.

Why would he fear the reaction, I saw him score a hat trick against Witham! As much as I wasn’t overly impressed with his tenure at the club joining SUEPA shows he cares about the club. Because he did get some abuse as a player as have others who have also joined. If he was to be introduced to the crowd at a game as a SUEPA guest I’d give him a good reception even though I didn’t rate him as a player with us. He pulled on the Southend United shirt and played his heart out for the club it just didn’t work out for him here.

That’s not enough for some posters, Matt is my friends Son in Law and is a terrific guy, mental health is a terrible thing and footballers are no different

Yeh I like this kid , he’s still young and building his craft but he got potential. Good luck to him. Going to binge watch them all later just finished Matt Harold as I always see him in the gym.

maybe a little merge with custard splat could be sexual.
Haha thank you!!

That’s not enough for some posters, Matt is my friends Son in Law and is a terrific guy, mental health is a terrible thing and footballers are no different

Would be quite sad if anyone still bears any kind of ill-feeling towards Matt Harrold. No, it didn't work out for him at Southend and he's gone on to have a good career elsewhere, but he always put a shift in and he might have got a bit of stick when he came back to Roots Hall but I am sure for most people it was never intended in a nasty way.

Sad that he feels he can't join SUEPA, I am sure he would be welcomed with open arms. Most of our supporters I am sure respect him for the career he went on to have, I know I used to dread his name on the opposition team sheet.

Nice interview by the way, Kevin comes across well and he makes a good point that managers before him and after him have not been able to turn it round but ultimately the manager carries the can.

I think he talks very well, I just wonder whether that team at that time could have done with someone perhaps with the kind of infectious enthusiasm that can instil a bit of belief in the camp. Kevin seems like a good man and he's clearly a renowned coach, but probably not the sort of personality we may have needed at that time. You could probably say the same about Waddock and Campbell. Fagan and Currie both seem brighter, bubblier personalities and perhaps might just have more joy getting the players over these confidence issues.

Another interesting element was the fitness issue. It seems it wasn't necessarily that the players were doing poor training regimes, more that so many of them were unable to train full time (we know Kiernan and Demetriou and presumably the likes of Hyam fell into that bracket) that it affected the ability of the whole squad to cope with the demands of L1 football.

Hopefully if we have now rid ourselves of a lot of the 'sicknotes' then that might change.

Just finished listening to the Bond interview. Was a really good insight into his view of what went wrong and why he did certain things. He seems like a genuine bloke who is gutted it didn't work out for him in the way he wished it would had.

I do wonder if we had got in a different manager last summer how different the previous season would have gone? The signings would have been different but were the players already lost before it had started?

The story about JD going into the office to tell him to let them boot it long really sums us up!

Just finished listening to the Bond interview. Was a really good insight into his view of what went wrong and why he did certain things. He seems like a genuine bloke who is gutted it didn't work out for him in the way he wished it would had.

I do wonder if we had got in a different manager last summer how different the previous season would have gone? The signings would have been different but were the players already lost before it had started?

The story about JD going into the office to tell him to let them boot it long really sums us up!

Yeah that bit stuck out for me too. To be honest I thought it at the time bit this sort of confirmed it. I think he was trying to get us to play football our players just weren't good enough to do!

Only seen the Bond one so far but well done Rylee for clearly making him feel at ease and subsequently getting a really good interview, which was honest , clear and without the normal cliches.
I know this is an obvious thing to point out , but making a good start is so important next season.
As Bond said , having just missed out on relegation and then starting slowly again , makes it hard to change the mindset

Only seen the Bond one so far but well done Rylee for clearly making him feel at ease and subsequently getting a really good interview, which was honest , clear and without the normal cliches.
I know this is an obvious thing to point out , but making a good start is so important next season.
As Bond said , having just missed out on relegation and then starting slowly again , makes it hard to change the mindset
Thank you!

Back