• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Charity Fundraiser

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Hi, anyone interested in raising some money for a pensioner who has fallen on hard times?

I heard a really moving story today about a 90-something year old who's married to an immigrant and was struggling to raise the necessary cash to do up her 8th home.

If each family gives about £300 that should cover it.

Apparently she's down to her last £300m and may have to dip into the family fortune.

Please give generously.

Of course it's not funny: the fact that this country wastes loads of money that could be better used elsewhere is a very serious matter.

£369 million to repair the Palace, I think that's good value after all its only one weeks EU money.

Children in Need tonight, but no lets throw £369M at an already phenomenally rich woman. Something wrong here.

Children in Need tonight, but no lets throw £369M at an already phenomenally rich woman. Something wrong here.

Its not going to her Majesty, its for the up keep of a building where she is just the caretaker.

Its not going to her Majesty, its for the up keep of a building where she is just the caretaker.

If she's just the caretaker, why doesn't she open it up to the public all year round?

It's currently open just 50 days a year. Open it 250 days (which leaves a more than generous 100+ days for State occasions) and those extra 200 days at £40 a pop will soon pay for the works, whilst also providing extra employment, all on a cost neutral basis. The renovation works could be done one wing at a time, leaving plenty of rooms for the paying public to visit.

The nation can even demonstrate their appreciation for her service by granting her a rent free period for the duration of the works.

Yeah, the hate filled **** from ****ing republicans everytime the Royal family are mentioned. Do you have even the remotest idea how much tourism is generated by the simple fact that we have a royal family.

Ah **** it, bulldose the place and build affordable housing. That'll bring the yanks, japanese and chinese flooding in.

Do you have even the remotest idea how much tourism is generated by the simple fact that we have a royal family.
To be honest, I don't no. Can you enlighten me? I'd really love to see some figures, because pro-monarchy people spout this crap all the time the Queen comes in for criticism, yet I never see any hard facts to back it up.

Yeah, the hate filled **** from ****ing republicans everytime the Royal family are mentioned. Do you have even the remotest idea how much tourism is generated by the simple fact that we have a royal family.

Ah **** it, bulldose the place and build affordable housing. That'll bring the yanks, japanese and chinese flooding in.

What a waste, we could put everyone of those 'jungle' residents in the palace. They would be more than happy with 60 year old plumbing.

To be honest, I don't no. Can you enlighten me? I'd really love to see some figures, because pro-monarchy people spout this crap all the time the Queen comes in for criticism, yet I never see any hard facts to back it up.

I'll do my best. A quick google search found this:

The British tourism agency has reported that the royal family generates close to 500 million pounds, or about $767 million, every year in tourism revenue, drawing visitors to historic royal sites like the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, and Buckingham Palace

I'm sure I'll find more, watch this space.

The British tourism agency has reported that the royal family generates close to 500 million pounds, or about $767 million, every year in tourism revenue, drawing visitors to historic royal sites like the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, and Buckingham Palace
Yep, fine. I accept that our historic sites are responsible for generating a lot of money. Those sites will still be there generating money once the old bag is dead and buried. How much money is generated purely by the fact that we have a monarchy at this present time, and not including tourism due to the history of our monarchy?

Yep, fine. I accept that our historic sites are responsible for generating a lot of money. Those sites will still be there generating money once the old bag is dead and buried. How much money is generated purely by the fact that we have a monarchy at this present time, and not including tourism due to the history of our monarchy?
You can't separate the two. To the Chinese, Japanese and Americans who flock to these shores in huge numbers, plus the Canadians and Australian who also come in large numbers, there is a fascination with not only the history of our Royal Family but also with our current Monarch. And I do think she deserves a huge amount of respect, our longest serving Monarch, one who did her bit during WW2.

I often wonder when I see a lack of respect to HM whether it is the same in other countries that have serving Monarchs. Admittedly I don't know if I would, but I've never seen criticism or protesting in the Scandinavian countries or in the Netherlands, for instance. I'm equally sure in some of the further flung places it'd still be practically treasonable to criticise in the way some do!

This link offers a bit more in terms of break down. The figures are for 2015 and the article is not, by any means, pro monarchy. Nevertheless, they create a fair chunk of money. The fact that we have a monarchy now rather than the history of it is a difficult issue to quantify. From purely a superficial observation, I would say that the longevity of the Queen, together with the vast popularity of her grand children has directly affected tourism. That's just my opinion, mind.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-q...-family-contribution-to-the-uk-economy-2015-9

Back