• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Chris Phillips tweeted we're interested.
Holding central midfielder/centre back, 26, at Gillingham.
Was transfer listed at the end of May according to BBC Sport.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Lee
Gills fan on 606 said:
Lee is without doubt on his day more than capable on being a regular starter in the current side, and that seemed to be a recurring sentiment shared across my Twitter feed, 'on his day'. Sadly whiles I agree that 'on his day' he was a driving force in the side, catalysing attacking moves almost at will while offering a reliable and steady support for the imperious back four, it's unfortunate that we didn't get a chance to see 'his day' regularly enough due to him being frustratingly having to watch from the sidelines.

Gillingham's twitter feed:
@TheGillsFC: Martin: "Charlie Lee in talks with Southend so we need to see what happens with that in the next few days." #gills

Last edited:
Well he has been given permission to talk to us which is hopefully at least given he has a year to run on his comtract

so a midfield of hurst, lee, atkinson and hines then, with payne, timlin and laird as subs...... big wow :smile::smile:

I am not sure Charlie Lee adds additional quality to the squad. Having seen him play against us and for Gillingham. Another honest journeyman and likeable character, but certainly surprised by any mention of a fee. ?Better players around for £20k , which in any case I don't think we have. Could show energy in trial or half a season, then....? With the loss of 4 good players in Clohessy, Tomlin, Assombalonga and Reeves, I see no marquee signing, or any improvement signings so far, Would imagine Cressy is now pining like a dog for anywhere north of Watford, still early days!

I am not sure Charlie Lee adds additional quality to the squad. Having seen him play against us and for Gillingham. Another honest journeyman and likeable character, but certainly surprised by any mention of a fee. ?Better players around for £20k , which in any case I don't think we have. Could show energy in trial or half a season, then....? With the loss of 4 good players in Clohessy, Tomlin, Assombalonga and Reeves, I see no marquee signing, or any improvement signings so far, Would imagine Cressy is now pining like a dog for anywhere north of Watford, still early days!

Seriously? Lee is generally rated quite highly, especially at this level. I've got a mate who supports Posh and he waxes lyrical about Lee and he was brilliant for them. 20k is a snip too be honest and given our current midfield options, I dont think we can be fussy and Lee would be a great addition to the squad.

You need to take a step back and review your expectations.

We wont be signing any major stars, we dont pay enough.

Look at the players you mention, who when we signed them would have classed any of them as marquee signings? Most of the players we sign will be unknown to us, thats the nature of lower league football.

All we can do is just put faith in the judgement of the management team and judge them when they arrive.

The only real measure of how good a player is will be the reaction of the other clubs fans, if they rave about him then thats a good sign (although still not a guarantee he will be any good, wasnt Gilbert and Straker highly regarded at previous clubs?)

:net:.....................

"Marquee signing"

Shows a complete lack of understanding of the situation SUFC are in. I'd argue Will Atkinson is a marquee signing and Charlie Lee would be even more so. I remain impressed at our ability to pull off deals like this whilst at the same time we don't pay our players on time. Whilst I'm no Ron fan, there's an argument our club punches above it's weight given the mess we're clearly in.

I'd be delighted if we got Charlie Lee. Top end League Two, average League One midfielder for me. Definitely the sort of player we should be looking at.

we haven't got him yet . I am sure other clubs maybe looking at him if he is a good midfield player .

I'd be delighted if we got Charlie Lee. Top end League Two, average League One midfielder for me. Definitely the sort of player we should be looking at if the manager was looking to engineer some sympathy when things don't work out later in the season and he points at the chairman and says I wanted to get Charlie Lee and Nicky Bailey in but the chairman wouldn't back me finanically.

Can't disagree with that.

An earlier BBC article today said that Paul Scully offered him the chance to cancel his contract but it would cost him. Apparently he turned it down. Perhaps he doesn't want to come here but fight for his place at the Gills? Interestingly that page has now been removed by BBC, or the link is broken, or the comments weren't true, or were an embarrassment to Gillingham and the player, or something completely different from any of the above..... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/gillingham

so according to the Gills , Lee will be their player this season . we have no money to back us up and do the talking so it looks like game over if you ask me

so according to the Gills , Lee will be their player this season . we have no money to back us up and do the talking so it looks like game over if you ask me

I'm afraid I moved on from that yesterday.....................although on to what, I'm not quite sure? It's rather like being a kid in a sweetshop, with no money to spend. Even if you could find some money, you've been told that you're banned from purchasing anyway. :sad:

Back