• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Charlie Mulgrew

shrimperian

Coach
Q uite a few people have quite rightly posted comments on here regarding Franck Moussa's performance over the last two games. I am one of those who felt that Franck was rather lightweight and could not see much future with him. I stand corrected, as in the centre of midfield he was simply stupendous last night. However, I would also mention that, for me, the most improved player over the last month is Charlie Mulgrew. After his first couple of games there were murmours that he was poor and not even as good Hunt. However, I have noticed his steady improvement and this culminated in a great display last night. In the first half, he constantly thwarted the Forest right winger and played some grwat balls both out of defence and across the Forest box. I believe this is why Forest targeted the left wing in the second half. I think it speaks volumes for the player who has shrugged off those indifferent early performances.

i wouldn't say over the passed the month as at cheltenham he didn't have a great game and was at fault for their goal. that being said from the first game he played against orient i thought he was a very good young player. he was very unlucky and had a few dodgy patches and was to blame for a couple of goals. he's on loan for a reason as he is very young and is here to build experience and get first team football. he did really well last night and was one of his better performances.

I've liked Mulgrew from the off, and he's growing in confidence and stature each game. He is now, for me, our best free kick taker by a country mile, and also best throw in taker. That added to the fact we saw some lovely skills last night all bodes well for the future if we can hold on to him.

Mulgrew

i wouldn't say over the passed the month as at cheltenham he didn't have a great game and was at fault for their goal. that being said from the first game he played against orient i thought he was a very good young player. he was very unlucky and had a few dodgy patches and was to blame for a couple of goals. he's on loan for a reason as he is very young and is here to build experience and get first team football. he did really well last night and was one of his better performances.

Left defenders a very difficult to find, since most teams right wingers are their strength, due to being more natural right footed players than left.

Mulgrew is not a defender, but developing there. He is a holding overlapping midfield player who wants to get involved. He has good handling ball skills and set pieces is good. Scored two direct free kicks for Dundee United in same game opposite postage stamps. He plays midfield for Scotland under 21s and has scored two goals in three games.
So after all is said and done he will do a job for us, we havn't see the best of this kid yet. When a defender makes a mistake or misjudgment he is singled out, not so for other positions.
Watch this kids progress in the coming weeks

Q uite a few people have quite rightly posted comments on here regarding Franck Moussa's performance over the last two games. I am one of those who felt that Franck was rather lightweight and could not see much future with him. I stand corrected, as in the centre of midfield he was simply stupendous last night. However, I would also mention that, for me, the most improved player over the last month is Charlie Mulgrew. After his first couple of games there were murmours that he was poor and not even as good Hunt. However, I have noticed his steady improvement and this culminated in a great display last night. In the first half, he constantly thwarted the Forest right winger and played some grwat balls both out of defence and across the Forest box. I believe this is why Forest targeted the left wing in the second half. I think it speaks volumes for the player who has shrugged off those indifferent early performances.

Yep ... Have to agree with all of that .

One thing id like to see him do is take the corners as Gowers delivery is woeful, barely getting past the first man on most occasions.

I've been much more impressed with Mulgrew in the last couple of games, he's starting to look a good find. We need a left back come summer and think we should twist Wolves arm to sign him.

He should definatley be taking more of our set pieces though, his delivery is better than Gower's is at the moment.

Left defenders a very difficult to find, since most teams right wingers are their strength, due to being more natural right footed players than left.

Mulgrew is not a defender, but developing there. He is a holding overlapping midfield player who wants to get involved. He has good handling ball skills and set pieces is good. Scored two direct free kicks for Dundee United in same game opposite postage stamps. He plays midfield for Scotland under 21s and has scored two goals in three games.
So after all is said and done he will do a job for us, we havn't see the best of this kid yet. When a defender makes a mistake or misjudgment he is singled out, not so for other positions.
Watch this kids progress in the coming weeks

Are you Charlie Mulgrew's dad?

One thing id like to see him do is take the corners as Gowers delivery is woeful, barely getting past the first man on most occasions.

agree with you there, gowers corners and set-pieces 9/10 times are crap, then then might put 1 ball in which is decent and everyone seems to use this as an excuse for him. mulgrews free-kicks and corners are so much better.

I'm sure it's not just me, but Charlie Mulgrew is pretty rubbish. A menacing left foot, a right foot he can only stand on, and positional sense of a donkey. He likes to switch off at least once a game too.

fredheim_holm said:
I'm sure it's not just me, but Charlie Mulgrew is pretty rubbish. A menacing left foot, a right foot he can only stand on.
But most right footers only have a left foot for standing, and you don't criticise them.

But most right footers only have a left foot for standing, and you don't criticise them.

agreed... left footed players always look more one footed (giggs, hammell etc etc), it's just the way it looks, not the way it actually is!

I'm sure it's not just me, but Charlie Mulgrew is pretty rubbish. A menacing left foot, a right foot he can only stand on, and positional sense of a donkey. He likes to switch off at least once a game too.
Listening on blues world is no clue to a players class,but when i have gone on line, all i hear is Mulgrew gives it away,and that he leaves gaps behide him undefended. True or not.

i wouldn't say over the passed the month as at cheltenham he didn't have a great game and was at fault for their goal. QUOTE]

Would have to take issue with you slightly over the fault of the Cheltenham goal. Four Southend players, including the uncriticisable Adam Barrett had the opportunity to stop their winger. However, he got to the bye line and crossed tamely across the front of our goal. Flahaven stood rooted to his front post and Mulgrew managed to get back to cut the ball out but in trying to prevent putting the ball into his own net, he missed the ball completely (not great I will admit) and Brooker couldnt miss from 6 inches!

Blaming Mulgrew for that goal is like blaming the keeper for not saving a penalty!

i wouldn't say over the passed the month as at cheltenham he didn't have a great game and was at fault for their goal. QUOTE]

Would have to take issue with you slightly over the fault of the Cheltenham goal. Four Southend players, including the uncriticisable Adam Barrett had the opportunity to stop their winger. However, he got to the bye line and crossed tamely across the front of our goal. Flahaven stood rooted to his front post and Mulgrew managed to get back to cut the ball out but in trying to prevent putting the ball into his own net, he missed the ball completely (not great I will admit) and Brooker couldnt miss from 6 inches!

Blaming Mulgrew for that goal is like blaming the keeper for not saving a penalty!

Agreed with that the ball should never have to get Mulgrew, I felt a bit sorry for him actually cos he was obviously trying not to score an own goal and ended up just missing the ball.

I only have a right foot for standing, but I'm not a seasoned pro who should practice with his right foot every day.

His right foot is appauling, it's almost as bad as his ability to stay awake.

I only have a right foot for standing, but I'm not a seasoned pro who should practice with his right foot every day.

His right foot is appauling, it's almost as bad as his ability to stay awake.

Hammell had no right foot either....

Back