• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Absolute Rubbish if any other teams are spying on here .

But between us lot ,we have got to sign this guy on a long contract .

He started slowly and looked like he couldn't actually defend the first few games he played for us ,but boy ,has he improved .
Great going forward ,brilliant left foot ,great at free kicks ,good in a tight spot with the ball ,and is now a solid defender that adds much needed height to the defence .He also looks a fine athlete ,as with all that's been going on with him regarding his new baby and the Scottish under 21's this week ,he was as fit in the 93rd minute as he was in the first .

He looks like he's got a great future in the game ,hopefully with us .

Agree in part mate, but to be fair, he hardly had a full run out at Pittodrie did he??

Must just be me then!!

I thought the primary job of a full back was to defend. Francis and Mulgrew are excellent going forward, and provide even more outlets for us to score goals, as demonstrated at Swindon on Monday, and almost again today, but for a wonder save.

The problem I have is that neither are very good at defending. Franno is getting better, much to my surprise. I was his biggest critic last season, but he is starting to persaude me he is worth his place at full back - but errors like the one today which could have cost us need to be eradicated.

Mulgrew is not a good defender IMO. He has all the attributes you need to be one, but he doesn't put them into practice. His set piece delivery is top notch, he is comfortable on the ball, and is always willing to get involved going forward, but he is weak when it comes to out and out defending. I was listening to one of the Millwall game on the radio and the stand out comment for me was by Paul Clark - 'You may as well stick him up front, because he can't defend for toffee'!!

Perhaps thats a bit strong, but if he was in the Championship, I fear he would get ripped to pieces by any half decent winger - much like Butler did to him for Swansea last week.

For what it's worth, I actually think he is an improvement on Hammell, who also wasn't a very good defender, but Mulgrew is far better going forward IMO.

I should probably don my tin hat now and wait for the barrage of criticism coming my way, but just my opinion.

Must just be me then!!

I thought the primary job of a full back was to defend. Francis and Mulgrew are excellent going forward, and provide even more outlets for us to score goals, as demonstrated at Swindon on Monday, and almost again today, but for a wonder save.

The problem I have is that neither are very good at defending. Franno is getting better, much to my surprise. I was his biggest critic last season, but he is starting to persaude me he is worth his place at full back - but errors like the one today which could have cost us need to be eradicated.

Mulgrew is not a good defender IMO. He has all the attributes you need to be one, but he doesn't put them into practice. His set piece delivery is top notch, he is comfortable on the ball, and is always willing to get involved going forward, but he is weak when it comes to out and out defending. I was listening to one of the Millwall game on the radio and the stand out comment for me was by Paul Clark - 'You may as well stick him up front, because he can't defend for toffee'!!

Perhaps thats a bit strong, but if he was in the Championship, I fear he would get ripped to pieces by any half decent winger - much like Butler did to him for Swansea last week.

For what it's worth, I actually think he is an improvement on Hammell, who also wasn't a very good defender, but Mulgrew is far better going forward IMO.

I should probably don my tin hat now and wait for the barrage of criticism coming my way, but just my opinion.

Totally agree with everything RC has said.

In fact,the back FIVE as a unit fail to pick up opposing players in our box just before the ball is delivered,prefering instead to attack the ball and leave the man.Otherwise known as ball-watching.
Thankfully our full-backs are quicker and taller and less ball gets played into our box,whilst Barrett in particular is winning more aerial battles down the middle.

No way is he better than Stevie Hammell!! He has alot of potential but is still prone to making massive **** up's. He seems to have improved massivley since we first aquired him but no where near Hammell standards!!

Mwhahahahaha.

Keep up the good work Ricey, we need a laugh on here now and again.

The key to Mulgrwe's perofrmance was confiendence. With confirdence running through the team we are a far better sdie. But Mulgrew is a big upgrade over Hammell anyway.

Mwhahahahaha.

Keep up the good work Ricey, we need a laugh on here now and again.

The key to Mulgrwe's perofrmance was confiendence. With confirdence running through the team we are a far better sdie. But Mulgrew is a big upgrade over Hammell anyway.

YB - are the typos due to the lateness of the hour (or earliness!) or the effect of large quantities of alcohol?!
:)

Agree with sentiments though, as Charlie's confidence has improved (and it needed to after the disgraceful way he was treated in the first game or two when loads of people were on his back because he'd "replaced" Hammell) so has his command and use of the ball. Really pleased to see him settling in and hope we manage to sign him permanently in the summer. Yes, there are little areas of weakness, but a proper contract and a pre-season will I hope, see this all sorted for next season. Meanwhile, he's improving all the time.

YB - are the typos due to the lateness of the hour (or earliness!) or the effect of large quantities of alcohol?!
:)

Agree with sentiments though, as Charlie's confidence has improved (and it needed to after the disgraceful way he was treated in the first game or two when loads of people were on his back because he'd "replaced" Hammell) so has his command and use of the ball. Really pleased to see him settling in and hope we manage to sign him permanently in the summer. Yes, there are little areas of weakness, but a proper contract and a pre-season will I hope, see this all sorted for next season. Meanwhile, he's improving all the time.

I think he was definitely under the affluence of incohol.;)

How much do you reckon he could cost?

I would pay 1/2 mil if we went up to keep him?

Baring in mind our budget in the Championship last season turned out to be less than a mill and also considering our record ever signing is £500,000 for a proven class act with prem experience I cant see us paying anywhere near that.

I think anything up to £200,000 is fair really.

Hammell was a class act but personally I think Mulgrew is better.

I hope we get him on permenant or Tilly need to be seriously looking round for a new left-back, especially if we go up next season.

I hope we get him on permenant or Tilly need to be seriously looking round for a new left-back, especially if we go up next season.

If we go up, and it's looking a hell of a lot better than it did on New Year's Day, we would need a left-back, a centre back, a goalkeeper and another striker...

I think Tilly and Brush know that as well...

yeh definately agree. depends how much they want though.it might matter on if we go up or not, because mulgrew is looking like one of those who wants to be in higherleague as possible and many other teams are supposedly interested

Was very impressed with Mulgrew yesterday, seems to be growing in confidence, just like a lot of the team.

Still needs to work on a couple of things, but looks very comfortable on the ball, decent going forward, and provides a wicked set piece delivery.

It's nice to have 2 full-backs that can defend, attack and put in a decent delivery.

Not sure we can rave about Franics' defending just yet! Getting there though.....

No way is he better than Stevie Hammell!! He has alot of potential but is still prone to making massive **** up's. He seems to have improved massivley since we first aquired him but no where near Hammell standards!!

Would have to disagree. Much happier with Mulgrew in that position.

Thought Charlie had his best game for us so far, yesterday he was excellent as was the rest of the side, not sure what game the News of The World reporter watched, almost all got 5's ridiculous!!!!!!!!

Do you think Tilly has made his enquiry about the prospect of signing Mulgrew? Also, do we know of any other teams snooping around for him?
What is he worth for us to sign him? Maybe Tilly needs to see more games before speaking to Wolves.

Thought Charlie had his best game for us so far, yesterday he was excellent as was the rest of the side, not sure what game the News of The World reporter watched, almost all got 5's ridiculous!!!!!!!!

Don't care where he plays but if he does moreof what he did yesterday we need to pay whatever Wolves want.

He did have a great game against walsall, however they didnt attack so he could play to his strengths.

I think he is a decent player but talk of paying 500k or whatever Wolves want is very over the top.

He has looked very suspect from a defensive point of view.

Back