• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ....... Charlton (A)

Mick

Life President
We are way behind Charlton in head-to-head League matches having won only 10 to their 25, with 10 draws. Our only win there in the last 85 years came 23 years ago when goals from Dublin, Thomson and Tilson gave us a 3-0 win.

For tomorrow’s visit we have a Select Group referee – one who is allowed to referee Premier League matches, although they haven’t yet trusted him with one involving any top teams!

It will be Simon Hooper from Swindon refereeing Southend for the eighth time in his 11th season as a League referee. On Swindon’s books as a junior he was released at the age of 16 and turned his attentions towards refereeing. He also represented Wiltshire at tennis and athletics in his younger days.

Since the formation of Select Group 2 we have seen nothing of him since the Millwall home match in the Paint Trophy back in 2015/16. Fairly low key game but he did okay – a caution for Coker and one of theirs in our 0-2 defeat. That was his second visit to Roots Hall that season, having done the 2-1 home win over Peterborough when he started badly and improved slightly as the game went on. Again, one yellow apiece, ours to Leonard.

Before that he was, of course, the man who refereed the Play-Off Final at Wembley and who, in my opinion, did so rather badly. Someone must like him as his promotions seem to be despite rather than because of his performances.

Prior to that final, his most recent Southend match was the unfortunate game at Mansfield in 2013/14 when we lost 2-1 and had Clifford sent off along with yellows for Bentley, White and Barnard. Phil Brown went very public with his criticism of the referee on this occasion and it seemed from the Wembley performance that Hooper still bore a grudge!

Before that it was the early season home draw with Northampton in 2011/12 - yellows for Mohsni, Grant and Phillips and 2 yellows and a red for them. His previous visit to Roots Hall was the match against Brighton (0-1) which I believe sealed our relegation in 2009/10. Only a yellow apiece, ours went to Moussa.

The other match was a win at Hereford, as always, in 2008/9 with all four yellows going to the home team.

He was also 4th Official at the away leg of our Orient JPT triumph en route to another visit to Wembley.

His card count this season is a very average 63 yellows and 3 reds from 21 matches.

Assisting are Peter Kirkup, a regular Premier lino from Northampton and Londoner, Neil Davies who’s certainly not in football for the money; educated at Oxford University he is an Actuary in the City of London. Fourth Official is a "proper" referee, Lee Swabey from Plymouth, in his fourth season as a Football League referee. He refereed our curtain raiser against Blackburn last season.

The other match was a win at Hereford, as always, in 2008/9 with all four yellows going to the home team.

Where he gave us a ridiclous last minute penalty, I believe. Right in front of me. No contact. Not close. I'd have been steaming if I had been a Hereford fan.

But other than that, and even with my refs head, I am surprised he is that far up the system. He isn't very good.

A ref that plays / used to play tennis. I couldn't hate him more if I tried

Where he gave us a ridiclous last minute penalty, I believe. Right in front of me. No contact. Not close. I'd have been steaming if I had been a Hereford fan.

But other than that, and even with my refs head, I am surprised he is that far up the system. He isn't very good.

A penalty tucked away by none other than Theo.

Almost 10 years ago and League One contained Leicester, Huddersfield and Brighton as well as Stockport and Hereford. How fortunes can vary and we, of course, were mid-table in League One.

******* LATE CHANGE *****

Senior Lino, Peter Kirkup is off the match being replaced by the equally experienced Scott Ledger from Barnsley. A full-time professional Assistant Referee in his early 40s, he is an ex-soldier and an ex-postman.

Reading the post-match comments it appears Mr Hooper was up to his usual level of ineptitude

Back