• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Charlton Athletic 1-1 Southend United

The Charlton chaps are up to page 6 on their post match thread and they're still banging on about time wasting etc. This one is a complete doozey:

'I’d actually like to referee a game in league one. Yesterday would have been abandoned by half time as I’d have sent off about six of their players and one of ours.What annoyed me was the refs tolerance of the blatant time wasting. Several times he pointed to his watch but then allowed the keeper to carry on wasting time. He also indicated to several “injured” players that he felt they were feigning it but then failed to book them. I reckon the ball was actually in play for about 20 mins in the second half.'

We really have ****ed them off by having the temarity to take a point, you'd have thought we had won.
They seem very angry! We did waste a bit of time but in our position anyone would have done the same plus ref added about 6/7 minutes on at the end and we went for it at the end and created a few good chances.

Trouble is they cant admit they were unable to break a magnificent rear guard action.They would have done the same.What I will agree that the referee was poor.

There were no weak links on Saturday. It was almost the polar opposite performance to the week before.

Simon Cox was awesome. He gets far too much stick on here from people who haven't a clue what he does or how his intelligence benefits the team. He would probably look better at a higher level with better players around him.

Elvis probably played his best game ever and Hart looked decent too. I'm sure he will be fine for Tuesday.

Moore and White looked solid and Turner's late cameo was decent. To be fair to him, it'll probably be all he can manage in the final months of the season. They all did well to protect Bishop, who made two superb saves when called upon.

Great strike from Humphrys and he held the ball up well. After a shaky start, Dieng really performed, Mantom looked tidy and Kightly had the best 45 minutes I can recall. He is still too easily beaten though and the defensive side of his game is appalling.He should never have been booked though as he raced back to challenge and played the ball.

The only blot on the copybook was Dru's red card. I said at the time it would be red as it looked bad. The TV shows a slip but to be honest he didn't need to make that sort of challenge. He's probably trying too hard. He doesn't seem to have recovered from his injuries in the summer properly.

Klass looked good when he came on and should just slot in for him over the next 3 games. Macca also put a shift in and we could have easily nicked that in the last few minutes. Turner I think was closest although Klass hit the post from an impossible angle.

Ratings -

Dru 5

Cox 9.5 MOM

Bishop 8.5

Kightly, Macca and Turner 7

Everyone else 8

Last edited:
Charlton fan here, thought that your boys definitely deserved a point, you could have had all three with the couple of attacks in the last 10 minutes you had. Your goalkeeper made a couple of good saves but other than that we really didn't pressure you with an extra man (thought straight red was a bit harsh). The time wasting tactics is what all clubs do especially if you're a man down, i know for a fact we've done it enough times when we've been winning. Anyway good luck for the rest of the season and look after scp.

Last edited:
SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell has revealed a rogue whistle stopped the Shrimpers in their tracks at Charlton Athletic on Saturday.

More...

CHARLTON Athletic boss Lee Bowyer felt his side’s 1-1 draw against Southend United was ‘tough to take’ at the Valley.

More...

I’m not sure our goal was against the run of play. I’m happy to admit Charlton battered us once we went down to ten men and we dug in and did whatever we could to get a result. But 11 against 11 I thought it was fairly even and they weren’t really threatening us.

Just listening on the radio they lacked creativity. Second half especially they saw a lot of the ball but didn't appear to be doing a lot with it

Just listening on the radio they lacked creativity. Second half especially they saw a lot of the ball but didn't appear to be doing a lot with it
Spoke to a Charlton fan at work and apparently we played them at the right time because their 14 goal striker was sold to Huddersfield a day before deadline day and their 15 goal striker was suspended, and those two are the main threats for them.

Back