• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Charlton Athletic 1-1 Southend United

Not seen the red, so can't completely judge. What I heard though was the commentary, with Glenn Pennyfather and Nick Alliker both saying, at the same time, that Dru was in trouble. He had clattered the same player a few moments earlier, and the ref had words... whether it warranted a straight red I can't say, but even SCP said it looked bad in the post match interview. As I said, I haven't seen it yet, very happy to be put straight if I am wrong.

Thought I was going to miss the first half - on the way to the station I saw a car pull out in front of a speeding cyclist who smashed into side of the car - glass everywhere. A few of us performing various tasks whilst waiting 20 mins for an ambulance while the guy lay in the road unable to move and difficulty breathing. I'll spare the details but it was pretty shocking and I made a diversion to the off license once the ambulance had left so I could even out.
Got very lucky on the trains and only missed a couple of minutes.

I'm a fan of The Valley. A bit corrugated but it's fairly compact for a fairly big ground and it holds the sound in and has good viewing everywhere.

20 mins of them looking ok, us looking ok, nothing to get excited about - then Humphrys picked up a loose ball and scored with an absolute screamer just out of reach to the right of the keeper.
5 minutes later Yearwood was off after a bad two footed high tackle right in the middle of the pitch in a no danger zone. Definitely a card, red maybe harsh but probably not. Another decent chance from a free kick just outside the area then I skipped a bit of the game in favour of alcohol after the earlier drama.

2nd half was Dunkirk. 9 fishing dinghies and Bishop as a great big trawler saving the day. Their goal was a great hit but a touch of fortune as it went in off the post - nothing a keeper could do about that. They looked more likely to win but we battled on and could even have snatched a win as sub Klass had a couple of chances that he could have made more of.

Great point, great turn out, great atmosphere.

Well done to the boys and to all the Shrimpers faithful who made the journey.

Excellent performance, grit and determination, why can’t we play like that at home!

Thought Dru’s was a definite red, but Kightlys challenge on the other hand, won the ball cleanly and gets a booking. Shocking decision, the ref could not keep up with play!

Thought Cox was immmense today, so clever with every touch and some fantastic saves from Bishop, but overall a great team performance. Klass impressed me when he came on as well.

We need more positivity from the team and fans at home games....both need to get each other going!!!

Could be a vital point

Just got back after watching a spirited performance which we deserved a point.Everyone played for the shirt 10 out 10 except Bishop 11 for me what a prospect he is.Referee poor excellent tackle by Kightly gives a free kick against us plus a booking.
Just read Charlton fans zone fans are not a happy bunch, thought we were a bunch timewasting thugs and wish us to be relegated.

What a difference from last week onwards to Donny and at least a point

Most of the stuff I was going to say has already happened on here. However for what it's worth Dru's dismissal was a definite red from where I was sitting, Kightly's booking was pathetic following a perfectly legal challenge, Humphry's goal was so sweet to watch go in and Bishop and Cox were awesome with Cox being a bit more awesome. He was everywhere today.

All in all a cracking day out with 1,463 Shrimpers and one blue smoke bomb giving their all in support of the team. And finally a special mention for Travel Zone who once again provided their high level of service at an incredibly decent price. I cannot speak highly enough about the serivce they provide. I recommend you try them if you are following the club away and haven't used them yet. I'm sure @The Watermill Wino will give you a big cuddle and a warm welcome if you do.

charlton.jpg

Last edited:
Just read Charlton fans zone fans are not a happy bunch, thought we were a bunch timewasting thugs and wish us to be relegated.

Sour grapes or what?. Harsh facts are a team down to 10 men with 2/3rds of the game still to go, aren't going to take the game to the other side, by playing attacking football?.
The impetus is on the home side, with a man advantage to make that count.
As they failed to capitalise on that, can understand their fans frustrations. Too bad eh?.

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell felt Dru Yearwood slipped before making the challenge which saw him red carded at Charlton Athletic this afternoon.

More...

Sour grapes or what?. Harsh facts are a team down to 10 men with 2/3rds of the game still to go, aren't going to take the game to the other side, by playing attacking football?.
The impetus is on the home side, with a man advantage to make that count.
As they failed to capitalise on that, can understand their fans frustrations. Too bad eh?.
Let's be honest if the roles were reversed we'd be moaning too, time wasting is a legitimate tactic which fans are going to applaud but the opposition will hate.

Let's be honest if the roles were reversed we'd be moaning too, time wasting is a legitimate tactic which fans are going to applaud but the opposition will hate.

In agreement, we've witnessed this at The Hall ourselves on more than one occasion in the last couple of seasons.

This is why they need to start looking at stopping the clock whilst the ball is not in play (with maybe 35 minutes each way). This will stop time wasting and not having to worry about how much should get added on at the end.

I'm sure there was a game earlier in the season where there were about 47 minutes of play time; that is shocking for the price it cost to watch football.

Wasn't it their time wasting at The Hall that ignited things earlier in the season?

We don’t need to reduce the match time and stop the clock.....it’s simple....it’s a multi ball system so just deploy a 4 second restart rule like they do in Futsal.....once the ball is in the players hands he has a set time to restart he game or it’s awarded the other way....or goal kick turns into a corner....

Wasn't it their time wasting at The Hall that ignited things earlier in the season?
The thing is we ****ed on their play-off parade today by taking a point, so they were bound to be a bit arsey about it all. I tend to take arsey comments about our performance as a compliment if we have brassed them off enough that they spend time on us rather than their own shortcomings.

Great away day and a deserved point
Fans absolutely brilliant throughout
Humphrey's with another brilliant goal
Cox mom for me, ran his bollocks off
Bishop, nailed on our number one keeper, two brilliant saves
Red card, at the time looked bad, but seeing the highlights it's clear he slippped and then twice second half Charlton players with similar tackles only got a yellow
Ref, dreadful, gave everything their way and fell for their constant cheating.
All in all a good day out and a great TEAM effort on and off the pitch.
Worried for Tuesday as some players are clearly knackered and carrying knocks.

The thing is we ****ed on their play-off parade today by taking a point, so they were bound to be a bit arsey about it all. .
Totally, with Luton and Barnsley storming away Charlton are staring at the playoffs again. A defeat and a draw against ten men not great for them.

Back