• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Charlton Athletic 1-1 Southend United

Love the fact that their "legend" Chris Powell's team ****ed all over their parade!

Well what a thoroughly enjoyable away day that was.

I headed to the game with a group of friends that all supported other teams so I was hopeful that we might actually put in a performance. For once my beloved Blues didn’t disappoint.

We started the game brightly, had large spells of possession whilst at the other end Charlton weren’t really hurting us and we were fairly comfortable. Blues hadn’t really created too much though until Stephen Humphrys hits a cracker from long range. I thought at the time it took a significant deflection as the flight of the ball seemed quite unnatural to me. I’ve watched it back a couple of times and I still can’t tell to be honest ?!

Unfortunately after that positive opening spell, we got the kick in the teeth that we really didn’t need. This was always going to be a tough fixture, away to a team in the playoffs and then it’s made that much more difficult by being reduced to 10 men.

Dru Yearwood has not been the same player for us this season as he was last but he is young and still developing his game. One aspect of his play he really needs to work on is trying to control his tackling. He seems to pick up a lot of bookings for what I perceive as reckless challenges. This red card has been coming. At the time yesterday I thought it was a definite yellow card but I felt a red was a bit harsh.
The referee had already had a word with him for a previous challenge and it’s at that point Dru should have had a word with himself and reigned it in a bit.

I would need to see the challenge back though to see if the referee made the right call. I do have my doubts though as the “**** with the whistle” made a horrendous call later in the game to book Michael Kightly for winning the ball with a great challenge so forgive me for not having much faith in his decision making. I also felt the home side got countless very soft free kicks but maybe it just felt like that coz we were defending for such long spells.

As others have said, losing Dru did seem to galvanise the team and inspired us to the first display I’ve seen this season where we really battled for a result. Too many times this year we’ve keeled over at the first signs of adversity and that is sadly why we are where we are in the league. If we’d put in the sort of performance the players gave yesterday in a handful of other games this year we’d be chasing a playoff spot which would have been the optimistic aim in August.

Chris Powell has had a torrid time with injuries to key players throughout the entire season but fighting for points like we did yesterday is surely your best tactic at times like this. Let’s hope this game is a turning point and we can now go on a decent run to secure a comfortable finish away from the danger zone.

Can anyone who was there comment on the reported incident when Humphrys appeared to pull up when going for goal upon, apparently, hearing a whistle. One report said the whistle was from our end.

Think we all heard the whistle sounded like it came from way down on the Charlton side oppersite the dug outs that is where our players all looked to. Heard it again in the 2 nd half when we were attacking.

Amongst the more balanced views on the Charlton forum, acknowledgment that they would done the same as us and, in one case, that the red card was harsh.

frame by frame of video does show Dru losing his standing leg and basically going up in the air into Williams - a collision not a tackle -

looks awful - but more of a freak thing .... definitely not a two footed leg breaker lunge

My step dad( charlton fan) was at game yesterday and said he thought it was a fair point and thought we battled extremely well to keep it 1-1 with 10 men for 60 mins.
Although he did say they have a terrible attack at the moment having sold there best striker and Taylor out suspended and they are having trouble scoring in general.
He was most impressed with Bishop, thought he was immense and couldn’t believe he was only 18.

Well what a thoroughly enjoyable away day that was.

I headed to the game with a group of friends that all supported other teams so I was hopeful that we might actually put in a performance. For once my beloved Blues didn’t disappoint.

We started the game brightly, had large spells of possession whilst at the other end Charlton weren’t really hurting us and we were fairly comfortable. Blues hadn’t really created too much though until Stephen Humphrys hits a cracker from long range. I thought at the time it took a significant deflection as the flight of the ball seemed quite unnatural to me. I’ve watched it back a couple of times and I still can’t tell to be honest ?!

Unfortunately after that positive opening spell, we got the kick in the teeth that we really didn’t need. This was always going to be a tough fixture, away to a team in the playoffs and then it’s made that much more difficult by being reduced to 10 men.

Dru Yearwood has not been the same player for us this season as he was last but he is young and still developing his game. One aspect of his play he really needs to work on is trying to control his tackling. He seems to pick up a lot of bookings for what I perceive as reckless challenges. This red card has been coming. At the time yesterday I thought it was a definite yellow card but I felt a red was a bit harsh.
The referee had already had a word with him for a previous challenge and it’s at that point Dru should have had a word with himself and reigned it in a bit.

I would need to see the challenge back though to see if the referee made the right call. I do have my doubts though as the “**** with the whistle” made a horrendous call later in the game to book Michael Kightly for winning the ball with a great challenge so forgive me for not having much faith in his decision making. I also felt the home side got countless very soft free kicks but maybe it just felt like that coz we were defending for such long spells.

As others have said, losing Dru did seem to galvanise the team and inspired us to the first display I’ve seen this season where we really battled for a result. Too many times this year we’ve keeled over at the first signs of adversity and that is sadly why we are where we are in the league. If we’d put in the sort of performance the players gave yesterday in a handful of other games this year we’d be chasing a playoff spot which would have been the optimistic aim in August.

Chris Powell has had a torrid time with injuries to key players throughout the entire season but fighting for points like we did yesterday is surely your best tactic at times like this. Let’s hope this game is a turning point and we can now go on a decent run to secure a comfortable finish away from the danger zone.
Have seen the Dru challenge in real time and slow motion.
It's not so much the slip but the intent. Why does he slip?
Because he's sticking out a big right leg that takes away his left on the greasy surface.
Had he stayed on his feet, the tackle might still have caught a shin. He's on the halfway line for God's sake, and didn't need to make that sort of tackle there and that time in the game.
In three weeks he's picked up two yellows and a red in three games.
How old do you have to be to smell the coffee?

frame by frame of video does show Dru losing his standing leg and basically going up in the air into Williams - a collision not a tackle -

looks awful - but more of a freak thing
.... definitely not a two footed leg breaker lunge

When I heard about the tackle on the radio I shouted out loud ''YOU EFFING IDIOT'' in frustration. Why would he do that when we are 1-0 up and have the advantage? But now having watched the replay many times, and in slow motion, he clearly slips on his standing leg that propels him into their player. It looked bad, but he really didn't mean it. He even explained and pointed out the skid mark(excuse my French) to the referee.

It’s all good and well saying he slipped and it wasn’t intentional. The referee only gets one opportunity to see it and when I first saw it I thought it’s deserved. He doesn’t have the chance to watch it in super slow mo frame by frame. He made the right decision on the first viewing and unfortunately Dru went.

We may get it overturned if we appeal it.

If we had put that much effort into home games we would be pushing the top 2.

Yeah crowd was great today and we really helped the team but even if we were that good at home I don't think the team would be top 2.

That's a game where the red card actually helped us.

We were 1-0 up and they weren't threatening us.

It’s all good and well saying he slipped and it wasn’t intentional. The referee only gets one opportunity to see it and when I first saw it I thought it’s deserved. He doesn’t have the chance to watch it in super slow mo frame by frame. He made the right decision on the first viewing and unfortunately Dru went.

We may get it overturned if we appeal it.

My complaint is that if that was a red how come late tackles from behind on Kightly and Dieng weren't also red cards?

Yeah crowd was great today and we really helped the team but even if we were that good at home I don't think the team would be top 2.

We were 1-0 up and they weren't threatening us.

My complaint is that if that was a red how come late tackles from behind on Kightly and Dieng weren't also red cards?

Didn’t see those so cannot comment.

Pride restored at the Valley, polar opposite to last week’s performance. Dru’s red probably justified but otherwise felt the officials were very poor. The 10 men and the subs all performed brilliantly but Bishop and the hard working Coxy deserve special praise.

More...

STEPHEN Humphrys made sure of a point for Southend United at Charlton Athletic with a goal he initially did not realise had gone in.

More...

Great battling point for us yesterday with a man down for over a hour.Keep at that level of performance and we will be fine this season.Great following from the Southend fans who gave very vocal support all afternoon

The Charlton chaps are up to page 6 on their post match thread and they're still banging on about time wasting etc. This one is a complete doozey:

'I’d actually like to referee a game in league one. Yesterday would have been abandoned by half time as I’d have sent off about six of their players and one of ours.What annoyed me was the refs tolerance of the blatant time wasting. Several times he pointed to his watch but then allowed the keeper to carry on wasting time. He also indicated to several “injured” players that he felt they were feigning it but then failed to book them. I reckon the ball was actually in play for about 20 mins in the second half.'

We really have ****ed them off by having the temarity to take a point, you'd have thought we had won.

Back