• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Charlton Athletic 1-1 Southend United

Dru definitely slips before the foul, so I think it's a bit harsh the slating he got in the match thread.

Whether the ref should have taken that into account or not, is a difficult one.

I was ****ed off at the time, but having just seen the footage it does look like he slipped. He desperately points the pitch out to the ref but it’s a bit late at that point. An unfortunate one really, but guess it’s still a red.

Not sure it’s a red as it was a slip. I’m not sure on the law, whether it states something like deliberate or reckless. A slip is neither of those really

He doesn’t slip. Looks to me like he realises a bit too late what he’s about to do and tries to pull out. It’s untidy rather than reckless but he does go with 2 feet

I definitely think he slipped, I said this on the match thread and seeing it again I think my first opinion was correct. But seeing that Charlton got away with bookings for two tackles that were not a lot different to Dru's, then I think he was harshly treated. A great fighting performance from the blues though and a ****e performance from the homer ref, which was predicted before the match, he is a total *osser.

He doesn’t slip. Looks to me like he realises a bit too late what he’s about to do and tries to pull out. It’s untidy rather than reckless but he does go with 2 feet

That's how I saw it as well. Definitely a red card, we can have no complaints.

By what everyone has been posting about Dru recently I reckon he could do with the 3 match break anyway.

I think it was just about a deserved red. Lets be honest, who here wouldn’t be furious if that was a Charlton player on Dru and they weren’t shown a red card?

Well I have now seen it and no way should Dru have been sent off, in fact Williams should have been booked for simulation. :Smile:

(Takes off Rose Tinted Glasses)

Definite red for me, went in two footed and nobody slips like that! I'm also not sure why Dru's pointing to the skid marks where he recklessly dived in as if it's an excuse? He's been playing with fire making rash challenges for weeks, it was only a matter of time before he got a red.

For those saying it was a slip, be honest, if that was an opposition player diving in on one of our boys like that, would you be happy if the ref gave a yellow?

Last edited:
Looking at the video, I thought that we brought their goal on to ourselves. We stood off them let the cross go in without one single challenge or even closing down.

It looked like a red to me, he wasn't in control of the tackle, the slip might have made the angle higher but it was still an out of control challenge, maybe a spell on the sidelines will do him good and if he struggles to get back into the team due to Klass or anyone else taking his place then it might help him a bit

left leg gives way - his standing leg goes from under him and he does not actually go for the ball or player and would have simply landed on his backside -

but it looks bad and Williams rolling about is unnatural and cheating as there was no real contact on his legs ..

a freak accident - looks awful but no intent and no contact on Williams lower legs -

oh well - frame by frame you can see it - in real time its like a kamikaze lunge

left leg gives way - his standing leg goes from under him and he does not actually go for the ball or player and would have simply landed on his backside -

but it looks bad and Williams rolling about is unnatural and cheating as there was no real contact on his legs ..

a freak accident - looks awful but no intent and no contact on Williams lower legs -

oh well - frame by frame you can see it - in real time its like a kamikaze lunge

Absolutely bang on analysis. Williams rolled over 5 times before the camera moved, not sure if there was a sixth time but it's blatant cheating.

And that is all the referee and Lino get when making the decision, they certainly don't get frame by frame replay assistance. Don't get me wrong, Hooper was grim yesterday but having warned Dru twice on his tackling earlier in the half this one was a no brainer for him especially as we had only played 26 minutes up until his red card.

Bishops save was class, it did look as if yearwood slipped during the challenge but you can see why the ref gave the red card as he only had one view of it.

I think the red was deserved. It wasn't 'out of control' but it was reckless. Dru shape was all wrong leading in to it and if you're going to make a tackle in that situation you're just asking for a card. In this case two feet were off the ground and the card was red.

There's a lesson for Dru here, last season he was a terrier and making the kind of tackles cleanly. This season it isn't happening for him and it's a point like this he needs to change the approach and broaden how he thinks and become better for it. He was two yards in front of Williams there. There's no way Williams could touch it passed Dru if he stood him up, kept tight and tracked the run.

Not disagreeing but bare in mind Kightly did exactly the same later on......it happens unfortunately....but we have to be objective about it...

Back