• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Charlton Athletic vs Southend United

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the fifteenth away game of the 2018/19 season and the 24th away game since Chris Powell’s return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our fifteenth away match is against Charlton Athletic

SkyBet League One.jpg
image.pngVS.pngSUFC.jpg

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at The Valley, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow.

Chris Powell's 15th Southend United League One Away Team of the 2018/19

Dy9-xdnWkAIUvHL.jpg

The Valley, is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 9th February 2019, it looks like we are going to have some sunny intervals this afternoon but it will be very windy for the game so wrap up warm.

Dy9wI5NWoAEeXI4.jpg

Dy97vyQX4AE2ysA.jpg

The weather forecast for day at The Valley

Chalton v SUFC Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current away record after 24 games

Won 10
Drawn 4
Lost 10
Goals scored 28
Goals conceded 27

League Positions Last Season

6th (2017/18) League One Charlton Athletic
10th (2017/18) League One Southend United

League Positions Current Season

5th (2018/19 Season) Charlton Athletic
12th (2018/19 Season) Southend United

Recent League Positions Change

Charlton v SUFC Positions.png

Previous five Meetings

Southend United 1-2 Charlton Athletic (L1 01/09/18 Att. 7,923)
Southend United 3-1 Charlton Athletic (L1 26/12/17 Att. 9,588)
Charlton Athletic 2-1 Southend United (L1 09/09/17 Att. 12,229)
Charlton Athletic 2-1 Southend United (L1 08/04/17 Att. 11,730)
Southend United 1-1 Charlton Athletic (L1 31/12/16 Att. 10,329)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 10
Draws: 10
Charlton Athletic Wins: 27

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views
Charlton Athletic

Charlton Athletic boss Lee Bowyer talks to the Charlton Athletic OS before the game

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer is confident his side can bounce back from Saturday’s defeat at Fleetwood Town when they host Southend United at The Valley.

Last weekend’s encounter, which was decided by Ched Evans’ solitary goal, saw the promotion-chasing Addicks fall to a rare defeat – their first of 2019.

Charlton had controlled much of the play up until Evans’ goal and Bowyer believes that his team are capable of getting back to winning ways when they face the Shrimpers.

He said: “The lads have given me everything all season, Saturday was the same, and I was never going to criticise them after the game, even though we lost.

“I thought we were the better side but it just didn’t happen for us. Certain things just didn’t fall for us or go our away. They are human beings and that can happen on the odd occasion.

“Saying that, we can’t afford too many more days like that and I was glad to be back out on the training pitch on Monday. We have had a good week of training and I’m looking forward to having two home games because we have had two tough away games [against Fleetwood and Peterborough United].

“We probably haven’t got the rewards that we deserved in both of those away games but we go again, we have worked hard and we will be ready for Saturday.”

Charlton won away at Southend at the beginning of September and Saturday’s game will see Valley favourite Chris Powell – who of course led the Addicks to the League One title in 2012 – return to SE7.

Bowyer said: “I’m sure Chris will get a great reception from our fans. He was of course a player here, like I was, and he did a good job as manager here too.

“He deserves plaudits and whenever someone does well for a football club they deserve recognition for it. Chris is no different. I played with Chris as well, I hope he gets the cheer he deserves and I’m expecting his team to give us a very tough game.”

Krystian Bielik headed home Charlton’s late winner at Roots Hall in September and the Arsenal loanee is likely to slot into the heart of defence of Saturday, following Patrick Bauer’s late red card against Fleetwood.

“Krystian can easily slot in there,” Bowyer said. “He’s the only person we have that can play there so it won’t be a difficult choice!

“That is the luxury we have with Krystian. He is someone that can do both roles centre half and midfield – and because he has been playing in midfield he is fit, ready and strong for Saturday.”

Striker Josh Parker could make his home debut at the weekend. The deadline-day signing from Gillingham came off the bench at Fleetwood and Bowyer says the front-man is adapting to his new surroundings every day in training.

He said: “We did a lot of work on Tuesday – had a long training session – and it doesn’t happen overnight but the more Josh trains with us, the more he will understand. He’ll get fitter and better.”

Full text can be found here:-
https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c...-chris-powell-krystian-bielik-and-josh-parker

Southend United

Chris Powell talks to the Southend United OS before the game

Chris Powell returns to The Valley to face Charlton this weekend, a club he played at, managed and is held in high regard.

Powell made 270 appearances in three spells for the Addicks before achieving promotion from League One at the helm of south London club.

But the Blues manager has returned to his old club before, as manager of Huddersfield, and was keen to play down the occasion.

“I’m going back to a place I know really well but the good times I had with Charlton as a player and as manager have gone now,” said Powell.

“It’s about now and the immediate future for Southend United.

“We need to go there and show real courage and quality.

“The last couple of games have been disappointing but we’ve had a really tough week in terms of training and preparation and we need to make that count on Saturday now.

“People want to do well and we know how tough and tight the league is at this present time so we have to get ready for every game that comes our way with 16 to go.

“I’ve been back twice as a manager before, both with Huddersfield.

“The first time was quite an emotional and difficult time if I’m honest because of everything that went on there with myself and the ownership.

“It’s all water under the bridge now but it was a sold out stadium and it didn’t go great.

“But I went back again and all that fanfare was done.

“It was nice to go back and there was a ripple of applause but it was about performing and we did that on the day, getting the three points.

“It’s a difficult place to go, and actually a game against Charlton or a team in the upper reaches of the league, people right you off so in many ways the pressure is off, but I’m putting the pressure on our players.

“I want them to out run the opposition and make our moments tell.

“We’re still in the top half of the table but it’s all very close with a number of points still left to earn.”

Charlton are well placed in the table, in fifth place, but will be missing two key men this weekend.

“They’ve lost (Karlan) Grant to Huddersfield Town who is a very good young player and (Lyle) Taylor is suspended,” Powell added.

“I think they’ve scored 29 of their goals this season but that might give an opportunity for someone else because they certainly have a decent squad.”

Full text can be found here:-
https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2019/february/powell-im-putting-the-pressure-on-our-players/

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Yearwood as a left/right winger? Blimey, he really doesn’t fancy Macca does he

From Chris Phillips "Harry Bunn out running on the pitch with Norman Wabo ahead of the game today".

I’m not sure the need for two centre halves on the bench. Whatever the laughs and jokes regarding the clamour for Wabo’s inclusion over the last year or so, surely it’s better to have an extra forward on the bench?

With Kightly thats a bold risk given our defensive frailties especially in midfield , not noted of late for his helpful defensive covering

Early goal to them all over, early goal for us, you never now. Still great away support though

Back