• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Charlton Athletic vs Southend Utd

What's your starting 11 for Saturday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WESTY_SUFC has only picked 6 players, 3 of which are forwards and has bravely gone for a 1-1-1-3 formation ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Makes a mockery of it all tbh

I think it’s time to not play Dru.
We have got to play 4 at the back.
I just think when things are tough - revert to simple.
442 or 4231. Narrow 3 behind Humphreys. Cox high up behind him. Full backs pushing on for the width.

- - - - - - Bish - - - - - -
Elvis Moore White Hart
- - - Mantom Dieng - - -
Kightly Cox McLaughlin
- - - - Humph - - - - - - -

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Football can be stupid so I can see us winning this one but we have got to come out as we did in the second half v gas - from the off.

442 or 4231. Narrow 3 behind Humphreys. Cox high up behind him. Full backs pushing on for the width.

Elvis Moore White Hart
- - - Mantom Dieng - - -
Kightly Cox McLaughlin

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Football can be stupid so I can see us winning this one but we have got to come out as we did in the second half v gas - from the off.
Decent line up this, although I think it would only be effective if the service to Humphrys is also decent. Not that I blame him after the last 2 games, but he does look a bit half arsed if the service is poor. Need to make sure we support him in numbers

Elvis Moore White Hart
- - - Mantom Dieng - - -
Kightly Cox McLaughlin

Been calling for this set up for nearly 3 months now.....all this talk about no options and no quality is ludicrous and this formation / set up proves it....

You could also go with Dieng alongside Moore and Dru in midfield but you could also slot JW in at right back if preferred...

Personally I really don’t see what McLaughlin/Kightly have done to deserve another opportunity...one or the other for me....there’s no way Kightly has 90 mins in him (he blew up after 20 mins Saturday!) and McLaughlin just looks very uninspiring and lacking any energy whatsoever.....

Elvis Moore White Hart
- - - Mantom Dieng - - -
Kightly Cox McLaughlin

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, decent side that. I'd just like us to show some balls and take the game to someone regardless of their league position

Last night I sat and watched West Ham do exactly that. They didn't sit off and act scared of Liverpool given their league position or show them any respect. They took it to them and they got something from the game

Charlton are without Lyle Taylor and 6ft4 CB Patrick Bauer for this one due to suspension. I don’t know who will come in for him, but hopefully they’re a bit shorter!

I really like that 4231 and I also like the idea of dropping Dru - I don’t know if his lack of preseason or confidence but he isn’t the player we had last season.

I would bring back Kightly and McLaughlin and tell them their season starts now. Look to get good crosses into the box for Humphrys with cox there from the knockdown.

I don’t see us keeping a clean sheet, so we are going to need to show more creativity

Elvis Moore White Hart
- - - Mantom Dieng - - -
Kightly Cox McLaughlin

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really like the look of that XI

Doesn't really matter what team we play, we will still lose (happy to have this post come back to bite me).

Can we have Lennon and Demetriou please? It’s a week into Feb so it is possible that one or both of them might be available and we sure as hell need them!

Hyam, Hendrie and Bunn are closer to a return than those two. Hyam was considered the closest to making last week's match.

Been calling for this set up for nearly 3 months now.....all this talk about no options and no quality is ludicrous and this formation / set up proves it....

Personally I really don’t see what McLaughlin/Kightly have done to deserve another opportunity...one or the other for me....there’s no way Kightly has 90 mins in him (he blew up after 20 mins Saturday!) and McLaughlin just looks very uninspiring and lacking any energy whatsoever.....

Eh?

You’ve totally contradicted yourself.

You can’t say that the lack of options or quality arguement is ludicrous, and then advocate sticking in two players who you describe as being not deserving of another opportunity :ROFL:

Eh?

Eh?

You’ve totally contradicted yourself.

You can’t say that the lack of options or quality arguement is ludicrous, and then advocate sticking in two players who you describe as being not deserving of another opportunity :ROFL:

Eh?

What the hell are you talking about? I haven’t picked that side it was someone else’s!

I said I’d possibly pick one of the two but neither have really done enough.

I’ve been advocating that system for months. My preference would be Hutchinson and Bunn. Bunn is injured but two from three is still options regardless of whether I favour them or not!

Think about it!

Based upon the above comments, I've selected Hyam for a bit of experience / bite in the midfield....use Druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu for the last 20 mins as they tire..

What the hell are you talking about? I haven’t picked that side it was someone else’s!

I said I’d possibly pick one of the two but neither have really done enough.

I’ve been advocating that system for months. My preference would be Hutchinson and Bunn. Bunn is injured but two from three is still options regardless of whether I favour them or not!

Think about it!

So you’d pick one of them, despite not really wanting to pick either of them.

And you claim we have options? I see.

Last edited:
Charlton looking light up front

Grant: Sold in Jan
Clarke: Sold in Jan
Ajose: Loaned out in Jan
Taylor: Suspended

Yes they brought in Josh Parker, but he didn’t seem anything special for Gillingham

They’ve only just got Vetokele back from injury, and he isn’t that popular at all

They played a kid up front on his own against Fleetwood

Could mean a lack of attaching threat

I don't get why most people want Dru left out, IMO he was the only centre midfielder getting stuck in and driving forwards. Yes, his passing was awful, but he wasn't the only one.

Personally I have no issues with CP playing 5-3-2 away from home, but I do think Elvis and Hart need cover and the centre backs don't seem to be able to move across and do that job!!

Back