• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Man in charge of the last game of 2016 will be Mark Heywood from Northwich (not to be confused with the more experienced Mark Haywood from Wakefield). He is in his sixth season as a League referee and has refereed Southend five times before.

Firstly the home 2-1 win over Oxford in 2011/12 with the yellows going 2-1 to us as well (Phillips and Dickenson).

Secondly the 0-0 draw at Torquay towards the end of the same season where they picked up 4 yellows to our one (Mohsni).

More recently and most memorably he did 2012/13's fine away win at Chesterfield in the snow, cautioning only Tomlin for over-celebrating (slightly!).

Next came the home match late 2012/13 against Fleetwood when a very late Corr goal equalised a very early Fleetwood goal - one yellow (Phillips) to their 2.

Finally, in 2013/14, he took charge of the home draw with Wycombe, Corr again on target and Coker our only yellow to their two.

He was also Fourth Official in our match at Bolton this season.

So we have a decent record to maintain with him.

His card count this season is unusually very high with 96 yellows and 3 reds from his 21 matches.

He will be assisted by Paul Kelly from Gillingham and Rob Smith from Letchworth. Robert Hyde from East London will be 4th Official.

Last edited:
An ok ref; my main criticism is that he bottled a late decision, Ranger had beaten his man down our right flank and got fouled. The ref awarded the foul and the seemed to start getting his card out but realised it would be the 2nd yellow for the CB, (german type name) and then walked away. IMO it was worthy of a yellow AND 2 yellows make 10 men but as said fair ref today over the whole game.
1 nil, playing 10 men could = 3 points?

An ok ref; my main criticism is that he bottled a late decision, Ranger had beaten his man down our right flank and got fouled. The ref awarded the foul and the seemed to start getting his card out but realised it would be the 2nd yellow for the CB, (german type name) and then walked away. IMO it was worthy of a yellow AND 2 yellows make 10 men but as said fair ref today over the whole game.

It was Fox who did the same foul twice in quick succession. The ref booked him for the first and bottled the second yellow. Same offence but different punishment

Was consistent on the whole by letting the game flow by the 21 should have been off and this could have made a big difference as he then got subbed off 2 mins later and their sub/s made an a big impact on the game!

It was Fox who did the same foul twice in quick succession. The ref booked him for the first and bottled the second yellow. Same offence but different punishment

And then Robinson subbed him off double quick!
He's the local lad, ex SHSB lad I think?

Ref did fine today, bar the non sending off. But as I sit as far as you can get to that incident, I couldn't tell you whether he was right or not.

Other than that, he let a game flow. Let two teams who wanted to play, play. Didn't get in the way. You can't ask for much more.

Fox should have got a second yellow (was worse than his first one) and when they scored their equaliser, he should have booked or sent off their big lump, for wrestling Leonard to the floor while attempting to get the ball. Apart from that, he was excellent!

Can the refs on here clear this one up for me please , how can Wordsworth be offside at that short corner routine with Atkinson when Atkinson merely stopped the ball dead and did not pass it forward, always thought you could only be offside from a forward pass .

Can the refs on here clear this one up for me please , how can Wordsworth be offside at that short corner routine with Atkinson when Atkinson merely stopped the ball dead and did not pass it forward, always thought you could only be offside from a forward pass .

Certainly. It is not the direction the ball moves in but the position of the "offside" player relative to the ball.

Ref did fine today, bar the non sending off. But as I sit as far as you can get to that incident, I couldn't tell you whether he was right or not.

Other than that, he let a game flow. Let two teams who wanted to play, play. Didn't get in the way. You can't ask for much more.

Both incidents were in front of us in the West Stand.

They were both fouls that sometimes you see yellows and sometimes you do not. On balance a sending off for 2 borderline decisions would have been harsh.

I actually thought the first booking on Macca at the time was quite harsh as more shoulder to shoulder and the ball was probably going out in any case. The Ranger foul to me was the more worthy of a yellow.

Do referees set a slightly different levels for a 2nd yellow. Especially if the first was not as clear cut as say others yellow cards?

Both incidents were in front of us in the West Stand.

They were both fouls that sometimes you see yellows and sometimes you do not. On balance a sending off for 2 borderline decisions would have been harsh.

I actually thought the first booking on Macca at the time was quite harsh as more shoulder to shoulder and the ball was probably going out in any case. The Ranger foul to me was the more worthy of a yellow.

Do referees set a slightly different levels for a 2nd yellow. Especially if the first was not as clear cut as say others yellow cards?

The first one was less of a foul, but more deliberate. We were breaking in numbers, and if the foul hadn't been committed I think we would of had a very very good goal scoring chance.

The 2nd one, although a worse foul, was slightly less deliberate, and Ranger was pretty much on his own and it would of been some going to get a good scoring chance.

That is how I saw it. Could of been a yellow for both, but was 50/50 on the 2nd one.

Spot on, he definitely motioned to get the card out and then bottled it! My neutral Spurs supporting mate was fuming!

The first one was less of a foul, but more deliberate. We were breaking in numbers, and if the foul hadn't been committed I think we would of had a very very good goal scoring chance.

The 2nd one, although a worse foul, was slightly less deliberate, and Ranger was pretty much on his own and it would of been some going to get a good scoring chance.

That is how I saw it. Could of been a yellow for both, but was 50/50 on the 2nd one.

The first foul was more cynical taking out the player who was going past him and a prescriptive yellow card.

The second was more an attempt to make a tackle which turned into a foul and therefore more of a decision for the referee to make and I would always want a referee to think twice about a second yellow and be 100% sure. He didn't "bottle" the second yellow, he just decided it wasn't worth a sending off.

Heywood had a good game, letting play flow and having a high tolerance level towards pulling and pushing, frequently giving nothing at all when both players were infringing. He contributed towards an entertaining match.

My only criticism was his benign indifference to the outrageous behaviour of their forward who wrestled Leonard to the ground to grab the ball from him after the equaliser. An absolute nailed on yellow or possibly a red.

The first foul was more cynical taking out the player who was going past him and a prescriptive yellow card.

The second was more an attempt to make a tackle which turned into a foul and therefore more of a decision for the referee to make and I would always want a referee to think twice about a second yellow and be 100% sure. He didn't "bottle" the second yellow, he just decided it wasn't worth a sending off.

Heywood had a good game, letting play flow and having a high tolerance level towards pulling and pushing, frequently giving nothing at all when both players were infringing. He contributed towards an entertaining match.

My only criticism was his benign indifference to the outrageous behaviour of their forward who wrestled Leonard to the ground to grab the ball from him after the equaliser. An absolute nailed on yellow or possibly a red.
Phew, you and I agree! I also thought about the "2nd yellow that wasn't" that Ranger was going nowhere with it, looked loads more innocuous than the 1st one.

Also agreed about the incident after the goal - likely to be anything retrospectively for Magennis after that or not?

Back