• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
An injury to Graham Horwood has brought about a late change and a hastily thrown together refwatch.

Tomorrow's referee is a bald man from the armed forces, which will not please everybody! However he's not the worst example of that ilk (damned with faint praise?).

Man in charge will be 46 year old, Darren Drysdale from Lincolnshire. A sergeant in the RAF, on the human resources side, he began refereeing in 1988, officiating in the Northern Alliance and Northern Premier League, became an assistant referee for the Football League in 1996, and in 1997 progressed to being a Conference North referee. In 1998 he was appointed as an assistant referee for the Premier League, and two years later was given the honour of being an assistant referee to Graham Poll in the 2000 FA Cup Final, he also became a FIFA assistant referee in the same year. In 2002, he became a UEFA assistant referee, one of only three from the UK at the time. He was appointed to the Football League List of referees in 2004.

He attracted some media attention in 2007 after Bradford City's Dean Windass received a five-match ban for swearing at him in the car park after a home game against Brentford. He was dropped from the list a couple of years later and is now in his second spell as a League referee. Apparently he used to drive a top of the range Bentley with personalised number plates.

He made the headlines earlier this season for a better reason when he assisted a player who had swallowed his tongue in the match at Morecambe.

We have seen little of him over his 13 years; just nine matches the last of which went okay. This season's win at Walsall when he booked four of theirs and the game's only goalscorer, Cox.

Before that was the disappointing home defeat against Chesterfield in 2015/16. A yellow for Coker and 2 of theirs. Phil Brown "slammed" the referee for a penalty decision. Others, including Adam Barrett, slammed Phil Brown for his tactics.

The one before that was far from his best. It was the 2014/15 home draw with Bury when he cautioned Prosser, Worrall, Payne and Binnon-Williams along with 3 of theirs.

Prior to that, the most recent match was 2013/14's Friday night 3-0 victory over Mansfield which also turned into a bit of a cardfest with a red for Clifford and two reds and three yellows for them. A difficult match to referee and he did what he had to do reasonably well.

Previously it was the unforgettable Cup replay at Brentford, when he (and Smith) did rather well. One caution for Prosser. He rushed to congratulate Smith at the final whistle.

Before that it was the 3-2 away win at Bristol Rovers in 2012/13 when any criticism would have centred on a slightly soft penalty. He sent off one of theirs and booked Tomlin and Phillips. Before that he brought the curtain down on the season before with the home play-off match against Crewe which, of course, we drew 2-2. Four cautions - one for us (Grant) and 3 for them including a controversial one for simulation.

Previously, it was a 3-2 home defeat by Coventry in 2006/7 (2 yellows apiece; Maher & Guttridge) and the 2-1 win at Port Vale the following season when Macca got the winner (we shaded the yellows 3-2; Clarke, Bailey and Macca).

Card count remains below average this season with 4 reds and 66 yellows from 25 games.

Assistants are Dan Cook a ship building welder from Portsmouth and Marc Wilson from Cambridge. fourth Official is Paul Kelly from Gillingham.

A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !

A really good ref watch Mick and it doesn't bear testament to the claim that it was hurriedly put together. Now get on with your Christmas!! :thumbsup:

The Ref sounds okay to me,we have a decent record with him in charge, so after that he should now book 6 of theirs and send another two for an early cold shower .We might just win then ,no promises :smile:

I think I always get him confused with Darren Deadman so expect a bad ref!

There are no less than five Darrens on the list of referees. Deadman is currently suspended/sacked and comfortably fifth best of the five. I'd put today's one right in the middle.

There are no less than five Darrens on the list of referees. Deadman is currently suspended/sacked and comfortably fifth best of the five. I'd put today's one right in the middle.

Is he? Good news then, it's because they're both double D initials!

Question to our resident ref experts, is the ref allowed to blow up to end the half whilst we are waiting to take free kick as this one did end of first half ? I've always believed the ball has to be in play .

Question to our resident ref experts, is the ref allowed to blow up to end the half whilst we are waiting to take free kick as this one did end of first half ? I've always believed the ball has to be in play .

He certainly can! The only free kick he has to wait for is a penalty!

He certainly can! The only free kick he has to wait for is a penalty!

Ok, so he can, but it's incredibly bad form isn't it?

Thought he was ok on the whole but that did really annoy me.

In fairness to the ref he told our players to hurry up and take the kick as time was running out, they did not so he blew up for time when he did.

Ok, so he can, but it's incredibly bad form isn't it?

Much worse form by the player to not heed the referee's advice to hurry up if there's only a second or two left.

If that, for you, was his stand out "error" obviously one of the better ones !

As for the ball having to be in play, it always annoys me when there's a goal kick at the end of the match. They wait for the keeper to retrieve the ball, carefully place the ball and as soon as he's kicked it they blow for full-time!

If that, for you, was his stand out "error" obviously one of the better ones !

To be fair, I did say that I thought he was ok on the whole! Did think he missed a few obvious fouls on our players, clearly signalling a "no foul". Let's see how he compares with Mr Ward on Saturday!

I always feel the good refs are the ones that let things go and try to keep the game flowing and in that respect, he did OK for me.

No. That would amount to adding time on (as opposed to injury time). The only time a game can be extended is for the completion of a penalty kick. so therefore, the ball does not have to be in play.

As for the ball having to be in play, it always annoys me when there's a goal kick at the end of the match. They wait for the keeper to retrieve the ball, carefully place the ball and as soon as he's kicked it they blow for full-time![/QUOTE]

This is probably why I thought ball had to be in play :stunned:

Back