• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch .... Charlton

Mick

Life President
After what I thought was an excellent performance by late replacement, Mick Russell on Tuesday, the referee for tomorrow night's match is Kevin Wright from Yaxley near Peterborough.

His last action in a Southend match was to give Brentford their last minute match winning penalty in the away match this season. He also gave them another penalty and cautioned 6 players, whilst letting a Brentford player off a nailed-on second yellow.

A bit of a homer? Not sure, but none of his 20 League matches this season has been an away win - quite a record.

His previous Southend match was the lively and successful Colchester away game last season (6 cautions - 4 of which were ours including, of course, Macca). Prior to that he officiated away at Scunthorpe earlier last season. This will be his 8th Southend League match in his 7th season as a League referee and has also refereed one Southend Cup match.

His card count is just about average this season.

He is generally an official who likes to keep the game flowing if given a chance.

His debut League match was actually at Roots Hall for the victory over Cheltenham at the start of the 03/04 season and the pick of his other matches was our 1-0 win over Forest a couple of years back.

His assistants will be Wade Norcott from Harlow and Michael McCoy from West Sussex. Gary Evetts from Hertfordshire is 4th Official.

After what I thought was an excellent performancee by late replacement, Mick Russell on Tuesday, the referee for tomorrow night's match is Kevin Wright from Yaxley near Peterborough.

His last action in a Southend match was to give Brentford their last minute match winning penalty in the away match this season. He also gave them another penalty and cautioned 6 players, whilst letting a Brentford player off a nailed-on second yellow.

A bit of a homer? Not sure, but none of his 20 League matches this season has been an away win - quite a record.

His previous Southend match was the lively and successful Colchester away game last season (6 cautions - 4 of which were ours including, of course, Macca). Prior to that he officiated away at Scunthorpe earlier last season. This will be his 8th Southend League match in his 7th season as a League referee and has also refereed one Southend Cup match.

He is generally an official who likes to keep the game flowing if given a chance.

His debut League match was actually at Roots Hall for the victory over Cheltenham at the start of the 03/04 season and the pick of his other matches was our 1-0 win over Forest a couple of years back.

His assistants will be Wade Norcott from Harlow and Michael McCoy from West Sussex. Gary Evetts from Hertfordshire is 4th Official.

Excellent performance......................until he awarded four minutes of additional time.

Sadly, 4 minutes was about right on the night.

How comes with no injuries and only 3 substitutions (one of them a double)?

That makes 90 seconds, plus maybe another minute form minor things.

Maximum of 3 minutes, really should only have been 2.

Oh on that point, why in the Chelsea vs Inter game when there were 4 substitutions, a long injury to a goalkeeper, plus another injury were there only 3 minutes?

A little bit of consistancy is all we ask for Mick.

How comes with no injuries and only 3 substitutions (one of them a double)?

That makes 90 seconds, plus maybe another minute form minor things.

Maximum of 3 minutes, really should only have been 2.

Oh on that point, why in the Chelsea vs Inter game when there were 4 substitutions, a long injury to a goalkeeper, plus another injury were there only 3 minutes?

A little bit of consistancy is all we ask for Mick.

The 30 seconds per substitution is a myth. You should add on how long it takes.

To be honest, I was expecting 3 minutes so I wouldn't quibble about a minute.

There is a tendency for officials to understate the amount of time to be added on and, unless we resort to timekeepers, it will never be an exact science.

This guy is an absolute moron.

Lets hope he keeps that home record up. We never ever ever get home refs

No he's not. He's a fairly steady referee who perhaps, on occasions, gives the home side the benefit of the doubt.

As I recall there were plenty of posts on here agreeing with the penalty decision(s).

The 30 seconds per substitution is a myth. You should add on how long it takes.

To be honest, I was expecting 3 minutes so I wouldn't quibble about a minute.

There is a tendency for officials to understate the amount of time to be added on and, unless we resort to timekeepers, it will never be an exact science.

With the benifit of hindsight I would certainly quibble about a minute! As they say, no point crying over spilt milk........let's move onto tonight and hopefully a victory, no matter how much added time there is.

Tilly wants us to get right behind the team for tonights game. Comon people don't be afraid to just start a chant, just sing your heart out, the team will appreciate it. Be aas loud as ever, comon southend.

After what I thought was an excellent performance by late replacement, Mick Russell on Tuesday, the referee for tomorrow night's match is Kevin Wright from Yaxley near Peterborough.

That's jinxed that then.

Mick, your thoughts on Mr Wright's performance last night.:)

Putting the match-defining dismissal aside for one moment, he probably got more right than he got wrong.

However, I don't think it was one of his best matches by a long way. He missed a few advantages, normally his strong point but maybe after the early flash point, you could understand him playing safe.

Back to the sending off. Without knowing what he saw, what the assistant saw, it's difficult to critique his decision.

It appears that Cristophe did strike Bailey and was therefore probably correctly sent off (the fact that Bailey may have gone down holding a different part of his anatomy does not, unfortunately, change that). The bigger issue is whether Bailey's initial action was also violent conduct and whether he too should have walked. I didn't see it.

Six minutes additional time seemed about right.

Putting the match-defining dismissal aside for one moment, he probably got more right than he got wrong.

However, I don't think it was one of his best matches by a long way. He missed a few advantages, normally his strong point but maybe after the early flash point, you could understand him playing safe.

Back to the sending off. Without knowing what he saw, what the assistant saw, it's difficult to critique his decision.

It appears that Cristophe did strike Bailey and was therefore probably correctly sent off (the fact that Bailey may have gone down holding a different part of his anatomy does not, unfortunately, change that). The bigger issue is whether Bailey's initial action was also violent conduct and whether he too should have walked. I didn't see it.

Bailey ran 20-yards to barge Christophe over when he bent over to pick up the ball which is what started it all - it's debatable if it's a sending off but the worst part was it was clear all the booing really spurred Bailey on

Total inability to over rule his linesman's glaring mistakes.
He should of gone to Biley and presented a yellow card for play-acting and got the game going again.
People want to be entertained with the ball in play, not see some idiot with a whistle trying to make a name for himself.
I've seen better refs in Sunday league.

A Charlton player had kicked the ball away from the free kick awarded position towards the left back area and JFC was grabbing it back before the full back could pick it up. Bailey was running back towards his position in the wall before changing direction to push JFC. JFC did raise his hands in retalliation. The difference is that Bailey went down as if he had been shot, JFC did not. Perhaps if he had then the roles would have been reversed. Frankly, both of them should have been sent off.

What I would like to know is why was Lloyd Sam not sent off for his shove on Malone. This was when Malone was warming up and trapped the ball, Lloyd Sam ran over to pick it up and blatantly 2 hand shoved Malone in the chest, now I would like to ask any qualified officials out there how that can be any different to what Christophe did? (who when i saw it happen thought he only raised his hand to baileys chest with no intent, but then I don't have the sharpest of eye sights after a few beers)

I'd pretty much agree with all of that.

It doesn't say in the Laws that "fat, ginger, former players should be dismissed". Like most I didn't properly see what happened with him and JFC, but if JFC raises his hands and makes contact, he gets sent off.

As for the rest of the game, it was clearly a bit spicey at times and that'd explain a lack of advantage. But he seemed to handle it well and got most things right.

I don't think we've got much to moan about in this respect.

Back