• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cheap Places to Stay in Portsmouth

pickledseal

cowboy
As a fountain of all knowledge and wisdom, and having a wide geographical spread of members....

I was wondering if anyone knew any cheap B&Bs, hotels in Portsmouth area?

Me and two friends are doing Great South Run in October and need somewhere to stay for Sat21st and SUn 22nd

Doesnt matter if it is a bit away from Portsmouth as apparently there is loads of transport on the day

Any help, direction would be most useful - not in our favour is there is probably a fair few other people thinking the same, and it is the start of half term!

Obscurer the better
wink.gif

As a worst case scenario you can always hit "Time & Envy" in Portsmouth town centre. You can't fail to pull in there as long as you have two arms and two legs ( Even if you dont I still think you could get a result). Not only will you get some action you will get a free bed for the night.

Not great preperation for a race I know but you will save some cash on a room.

DtS

I would suggest going for a B&B in Southsea - it's the cheaper part of Portsmouth, not too dissimilar from parts of Southend in a way with its rows of Victorian terraces. It's close to the sea, and should also be very handy for the run, as I'm sure it starts/finishes in Southsea.

Click here for a few possibilities - but I'm sure you could find more if you wanted to!

Cheers for that SS - will have an investigate!

I really don't think 15 pints and a minging bird is the best preparation for a 10 mile run
wink.gif

It depends what you want out of Portsmouth really. For a quiet night in preparation and little more than a nice little place to stay for the night, Southsea may be your best bet. Don't get too close to Time/Envy if you actually fancy getting a good night's sleep but if you stay nearer to Fratton (which itself isn't too bad), it quietens down considerably. Even up the coast by the minigolf course I think you could probably get a nice little BnB by the sea that may not be too bad.

If you actually want to be impressed by Portsmouth, try and find somewhere nearer Old Portsmouth. It's at Portsmouth Harbour station with good access to and from and there are pubs there that you'd actually go to to impress someone.

My only other suggestion would be to look round Guildhall somewhere. There's enough to do at night (after the race of course) round there but generally less lively than the seafront. Also, there are some pretty sizable hotels, not to mention the Student accomodation that you could probably get for a snip and, being fairly newly built, shouldn't be (or isn't from my occasional trips there) in too bad a condition.

I'm racking my brains to think of somewhere specific you should try but obviously living down there, I dind't have much need for accomodation. Hilsea and North End I'd probably stay away from but Cosham would be fine to stay in if you aren't stifled by it's boredom.

Personally, I'd head for the Guildhall area if I wanted to stay down there. Whereabouts is the run?

cheers
smile.gif

the night before has to be as quiet as at all possible! i do enjoy a few beers BUT....

the night after, the sunday, will be party time (if I am not in hospital....)

I will try and check out a few places (google is an amazing thing!)

thanks ever so much for all the help guys

apparently it is along the front of both Portsmouth & Southsea -
Castle Field?!?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pickledseal @ Aug. 14 2006,15:18)]apparently it is along the front of both Portsmouth & Southsea -
Castle Field?!?
Think I know where you mean. Sounds like the field between the Pyramid centre and the 'castle'. That, unfortunately is the Southest of Southness in Portsmouth but you can walk there easily from anywhere up to Albert Road. Taxis are rarely more than a fiver as long as you are South of the railway line.

Unfortunately, one of the best things you can do in Portsmouth won't be open Sunday night (I don't think anyway).

Spitbank Fort

If you're really quick though, you can head there for lunch at just gone twelve...

biggrin.gif

Back