• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cheating Aussies

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
This deserves a thread of its own surely. Now we're not squeaky clean of course - plenty of suspect behaviour by England players over the years - but this is something else.

Smith will be sacked in the next day or two, right?

And what exactly is a ****ing 'leadership group' anyway?

This deserves a thread of its own surely. Now we're not squeaky clean of course - plenty of suspect behaviour by England players over the years - but this is something else.

Smith will be sacked in the next day or two, right?

And what exactly is a ****ing 'leadership group' anyway?
Smith's future as a captain is completely untenable so yes agree, he needs to be sacked from the captaincy and maybe needs to miss a test tour (not sure what they have coming up) because his actions have been awful. It's not just the case of the ball tampering which has been going on for ages, but the captain and "leadership group" (e.g. team bullies) getting a junior member of the team to actually do it. It's all pretty scummy.

Smith's future as a captain is completely untenable so yes agree, he needs to be sacked from the captaincy and maybe needs to miss a test tour (not sure what they have coming up) because his actions have been awful. It's not just the case of the ball tampering which has been going on for ages, but the captain and "leadership group" (e.g. team bullies) getting a junior member of the team to actually do it. It's all pretty scummy.

Their next Test 'series' is away to Zimbabwe - one match! If they tried to just make him miss that - and maybe the two-Test home series against Bangladesh - that would be a bit of a cop-out.

Very interesting to see if they ban him for the following series - four Tests at home to India which are set to be massive. And the Aussies will surely need Smith as a player then...

The real question is whether or not this was a one off. I suspect not.

This deserves a thread of its own surely.

Eh - how come Australia cheating is considered newsworthy?

Lehmann has to be toast.

Even their attempt to troll England was 1 run short (their opening partnership put on 57 before they lost all 10 wickets for 50).

Smith has stepped down as skipper of his IPL side now but is hanging on to his Aussie role for now...

I find it incredible that Mike Atherton has the balls to moan about Aussie ball tampering, when he was caught with dirt in his pocket

Was a very lucky man to escape with a fine !!

Back to the original topic, Smith will always be known as the Captain that ordered the ball tampering, and will not show what a classy batsman he is, similar to Warner a few years a go he stuck his head above the parapet when Pakistan was found guilty, and said these players should be banned , as there is no room for cheaters in the game.

It comes back and bites you on the bum Warner

The real question is whether or not this was a one off. I suspect not.

Indeed.

They would be incredibly unlucky/stupid if this was the first attempt and within 42 minutes they had been caught!

It would appear not, there is a video widely being circulated in the media showing Bancroft tipping sugar in he's left pocket during the ashes.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...t/news-story/727bc0e33932cd3d4edc0a7742fa6ad6

In other news, great banter from the barmy army......
4A88314E00000578-5541205-image-a-38_1521961607134.jpg

Huge news over here. The Aussies are pretty disgusted and ashamed by it. (oddly they usually think their behavior is whiter than white) Coach tipped to resign today and I would think Smith and Warner will resign their positions and miss a couple of test series.
Most Aussie teams have 'leadership groups' Generally just the more experienced (or younger but future captain material players)

Should stitch up the pockets off all cricket players lol or ban whites with pockets ,Seriously this has many repercussions not just on those responsible here but on all countries teams ,you can be sure now they all will be monitored very carefully also sheffield shield players in Australia and county teams in UK every where .In a way this is a good thing to happen now perhaps the powers that be will now finally clean up the game ,I dont mind a bit of sledging but lately it seems even that has gone a bit to far,used to be called the gentlemens game , no longer im afraid .

You have a valid point, why is it really necessary for cricketers to have pockets in their trousers?

At the beginning of The Ashes, the fella holding the opener spot for Australia and seen as a future star with an already healthy batting average was Matt Renshaw.

Suddenly and for no apparent reason he isn't included in the squad and in comes unknown Cameron Bancroft with an average First Class record.

Matt Renshaw was born in England and of English parents.

I think the maths might well speak for themselves.

I don't know what your eluding to there Andy, Are you suggesting Renshaw got dropped because he wouldn't cheat? or wasn't picked because of his English heritage during the Ashes?

My point being, if we did win the ashes, it would tarnish the victory if we had an Aussie in the squad, in the same way if we won the World Cup being managed by a Scotsman. & the same reason for not picking a pom for an ashes tour against us?

Either way, if he was as good as you say, I do wonder then why he wasn't picked for their South Africa tour though.

Maybe Bancroft fell in favour because he wanted to do what was needed (in the Ashes tour or perhaps beyond??), & in order to get into the team and make a name for himself at an international level.??

You're getting there 'matti' I think.

Interestingly, now that this has blown up and certain people are likely to be banned, have a guess who is flying out today to play in the Johannesburg test!

LOL

Cheers, it's before my first cuppa of the day (so i'm not firing on all cylinders).. to be fair, i'm rarely firing on all cylinders even before my last cuppa of the day. :smile:

Let me guess, another legendary Matt??... he's got nothing on me though (except on the cricket field).

No worries 'matti'. I might, of course, be completely wrong, but stranger things have happened in cricket than that scenario.

Yep, our old mate Matt Renshaw is on his way there.

The irony, of course, will be when Australia win the final test without all the "stars"!

And now apparently Warner has 'gone rogue'. Which means sitting on his own and leaving a WhatsApp group. If that's 'going rogue' I'd love to know what the next level up is. This story gets odder by the hour.

At the beginning of The Ashes, the fella holding the opener spot for Australia and seen as a future star with an already healthy batting average was Matt Renshaw.

Suddenly and for no apparent reason he isn't included in the squad and in comes unknown Cameron Bancroft with an average First Class record.

Matt Renshaw was born in England and of English parents.

I think the maths might well speak for themselves.

Renshaw had been struggling for runs in the sub-continent (he averaged 25 in India and Bangladesh) and then again at the start of the Shield.

It was a little like England dropping Hameed after he'd impressed in test cricket but had then struggled for runs when he returned to the Championship after injury.

And now apparently Warner has 'gone rogue'. Which means sitting on his own and leaving a WhatsApp group. If that's 'going rogue' I'd love to know what the next level up is. This story gets odder by the hour.

It's clear that Warner is being made the fall guy for this. There have been a series of ugly incidents after ugly incident that Warner was central in and this seems to be the final straw for the Aussies. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he doesn't play test cricket for Australia again. I expect Lehmann to go as well, as he's encouraged the climate the last two series have been played in. Australia's next tests are against Zimbabwe (A) and Bangladesh (H). Smith will probably be sacked as captain and miss those that they'll win anyway but return for India (H) in November.

The most incredible thing is the high regard that the Australian public held their cricketers in in the first place. They seem shocked by this, whilst I think for most of us, this is exactly the sort of behaviour we expect from Australians.

Back