• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What should be done with it?

• Invite 16 B teams again

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • League 1 and 2 clubs only

Votes: 133 83.1%
  • Scrap it completely

Votes: 23 14.4%

• Total voters

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Clubs have held talks regarding potential improvements for next season, mostly regarding the number of first choice players who will have to play to avoid a fine, prize money and fixture dates and regionalisation. More here: http://mobile.efl.com//news/article/2016/efl-statement-checkatrade-trophy-3670256.aspx

Clubs will now vote on whether to continue as this season, make it only for League 1 and 2 clubs again with no B teams, or to remove it completely. Thoughts?

Go back to FL1 & FL2 clubs only. It's not a thrilling cup competition but it is still a great opportunity for lower league clubs to visit Wembley with a reasonable crowd, as proven by the Coventry and Oxford gate this time round.

Basically what RHB said.

Ideally get rid of the B teams, but I personally preferred the league format in the early stages of the competition.

The prize fund was also greatly increased this year from previous years, so for me it ultimately boils down to whatever format generates the most money for our club.

Scrap the stupid thing altogether....risking first teamers in such a meaningless comp is pointless,low crowds coupled with dull atmosphere is a no no.

Bit of both....invite Lg1 & 2 plus some non league teams (Leyton Orient for example :hilarious:). B teams can FRO.

Personally have no issue with a lower league cup, I went to a couple of games. I love midweek games and love the opportunity to see more games watching Southend. Higher league clubs get more chance of additional cup games , we don't really.

The tweak of including B teams didn't really work, but again for me , chances of watching moe games, I'm ok with !

I decided to vote to scrap it completely. If they need to invite teams higher up the pyramid to make it more exciting maybe we shouldn't have it?

By taking it away, and taking the opportunity for supports a chance to reach Wembley perhaps it will raise the demand for this trophy and it can be relaunched with a refreshed energy and new ideas.

Having B teams added nothing to the tournament, whatsoever. The crowds proved that.

it should be combined with the League Cup and put into a group format, so lower league clubs have group games with Premier League sides.

However, I would exclude Premier League sides in Europe, altogether and maybe add some of the top National League sides into it.

Winner gets a place in the Europa League and a whack of prize money throughout the competition, so sides don't put their reserves out.

Yep, get rid of the B teams getting involved, and leave it purely for the lower leagues.

If we're going to "invite" anyone else, then I think it should be the clubs relegated from L2 and the top clubs not promoted from the Conference! Voted to revert back to L1 & 2 only.

Yep, go back to Lg 1 and 2 clubs and the top ons'e from the conference for me. This season was a flop for me and I had no interest in it at all.

Scrap it, bring back the Anglo Italian Cup, or start an alternative version....much more interesting

I'd rather the top 12 conference sides were added than go up against under 23 sides.

Scrap the stupid thing altogether....risking first teamers in such a meaningless comp is pointless,low crowds coupled with dull atmosphere is a no no.
We're the orient games a dull atmosphere ?
even if you think it's a waste of time isn't it an opportunity for young players to prove themselves ? Especially with no reserve league.
New rules will change the criteria for 1st team players
Going to wembely pointless ?

theres more to the B teams than is in the statement. Reading the statement there is no upside to having B teams- common sense says that isn't right

Well on that basis, you must have the same feeling about us not bothering to compete in the FA Cup or the EFL Cup every year, as we are not clearly going to win that either.

Well on that basis, you must have the same feeling about us not bothering to compete in the FA Cup or the EFL Cup every year, as we are not clearly going to win that either.

Why scrap it though?...if Southend Utd are offered at the group stage £10,000 for a win or £5.000 for a draw in prize money, (on top of the profits from gate reciepts and food & beverage takings etc). Who would turn that down!

Especaily for what you regard as a tin pot competition, that is most realistically our best chance to go Wembley for a Cup Final.

Last edited:
Be interesting to know what me made from the group matches, given the attendances v. cost to put the match on (floodlights, staff and so on).

Certainly, we'd have made a loss for the Stevenage away match!

Is there the option to add some lower leagues Scottish, Irish or European teams - maybe in later stages, might make it more attractive to sponsors / media. If it reverts back to the old format crowds will still be poor

I've got nothing against trying different things to spice up the competition but I think it's fair to say the U23 team experiment didn't really work. The crowds for those games were poor and most of them got knocked out of the group stages. The fact it was two league teams in the final speaks for itself.

Personally I wouldn't be devastated if they got rid of the competition completely but if they are going to keep it I think it should just be for League One and Two clubs.

Back