• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
A mere 1,245 days and 193 refwatches ago, we won a home League match on a Tuesday evening! Even that was courtesy of a late winner after Mohsni had earlier been sent off.

On the face of it, we will never get a better chance to end that record than against a Cheltenham team in free-fall who have won just one of their last 15 League matches. (Mind you we probably said the same about Hartlepool, Dagenham, Aldershot (twice) and Wimbledon (twice) during that run!).

Anyway, the man in charge is fourth year referee Carl Berry from Cheam in Surrey who is the UK and Ireland Distribution Manager for a major provider of network security appliances.

He has refereed Southend five times before - firstly, 2011/12’s opener and customary win against Hereford at home. He did okay as far as I can recall with Hereford just shading the yellow cards 3-2.

The second was the 1-0 defeat at Bristol Rovers the same season when a somewhat "soft" late Harrold penalty clinched the points. We had a good shout for a penalty ourselves which was marginally outside the box. One yellow apiece with Prosser getting ours.

Thirdly was a far from convincing performance in the home win against Rochdale in 2012/13 and later in the same season as a late replacement at Barnet which saw a 2-0 defeat both with goals and cards. Prosser again and Hurst.

Finally, he made the long trek up to Tranmere for our 2-1 win back in last November. Yellows for Bolger, Timlin and Corr and a couple of theirs.

His card count is well above average with 74 yellows and 5 reds (all for double yellows) from 20 matches.

Assisting will be Neil Davies from London and Wade Norcott from Harlow Ryan T Atkin, also from London acting as 4th Official.

Out of interest, if someone is sent off for two yellows, do you count the the yellows and the reds, or just the reds?

Out of interest, if someone is sent off for two yellows, do you count the the yellows and the reds, or just the reds?

On the ref stats as stated above, but in terms of records against the player I think just the red is recorded.

On the ref stats as stated above, but in terms of records against the player I think just the red is recorded.

It would be interesting to know the breakdown of straight reds and two yellows...

Mick i noticed that he never used the vanishing spray for free kicks, is this discretionary for refs or should it be mandatory?

Mick i noticed that he never used the vanishing spray for free kicks, is this discretionary for refs or should it be mandatory?

Discretionary, but if he declines to use it and experiences difficulties with encroachment, he will quite rightly be marked down (slightly) on his assessment.

Back