• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tomorrow's man in charge is the loose cannon that is Trevor Kettle. Or, rather, Wing Commander Trevor Kettle based at RAF High Wycombe.

His last visit to the Hall was co-incidentally against Cheltenham when he was good enough to send off one of theirs in our 4-0 win. A repeat would be good although, on the other hand, it would be nice to see a match finish with 22 players on the pitch.

This is his 11th season as a League referee and his matches have been littered with controversy and condemnation throughout. I am sure there is not the slightest truth in the rumour that he only obtained and retained his position by virtue of his marriage to the daughter of the man who used to be in charge of Football League referees (Mr Ashworth). A referee noted for extreme over reactions and maverick decisions (a bit worrying you might think, given his day job!).

This is his 17th Southend match and we have a fantastic record with him in charge (won 12, drawn 4, lost 0); in fact there is no referee we have had a better run of results with.

However his matches have not been uneventful and include:

11/12 Cheltenham H – sent off one of theirs
11/12 AFC Wimbledon A - sent off one of theirs
10/11 Barnet A - not great - booked Hall & Easton
09/10 Brentford H - not great - booked Macca
09/10 Orient H decent game - booked Macca
08/09 Stockport H - sent off Harding
07/08 Oxford H - 8 yellows
Oldham A - sent off Richards (successfully appealed)
06/07 WBA H - 7 yellows
05/06 Bradford A - sent off one of theirs
Bournemouth H - sent off one of theirs
03/04 Canvey H - 5 yellows
Canvey A - 8 yellows and sent off Warren
Carlisle H - just 2 yellows but it was one of his first matches

He has actually had a couple of reasonable matches, especially a couple of seasons ago, when I have seen him, but needless to say these have been few and far between. His most recent games were last season's win at Aldershot (4 yellows, only Straker for us) and our win at Wycombe in which he cautioned both of our forward pairing of Corr and Assombalonga.

Overall this season he has shown a higher than average (but lower than average for him) 45 yellows and just 2 reds from 13 games.

Assistants are Neil Davies from North London and Mark Mellor from Hemel Hempstead. Fourth official is and Elliott Kaye from Hainault.

Please Mr Kettle, don't let us down, let us continue to view you as a good omen! :'(

He puts the f in ref
astonished when addressed the crowd,each side of the ground in turn, pointing to his watch,
informing the home support he was adding time
astonishing
what a Pratt

astonished when addressed the crowd,each side of the ground in turn, pointing to his watch,
informing the home support he was adding time
astonishing
what a Pratt

Always interesting how people see things differently. Looked to me like he was making sure all the PLAYERS saw that he wouldn't be accepting time-wasting. I doubt very much he was doing it for the crowd's benefit. For me, this was the moment that cost us 2 points as we deliberately ran away from taking a throw-in. I can never understand why we do that and made the point at the time as it was only ever going to string-out maybe 10 seconds or so but inevitably **** of the ref and cost us at least a minute... which it did. Stupidity.

Back