• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Cheltenham Town 1-0 Southend Utd

Even if he’d dived that way,he wouldn’t have got his fingertips near it.
You’re remembering keepers don’t usually reach their prime when under 30, but many wouldn’t describe him as young (27 next month).
Everyone is young to me!

I get what you say completely , but I guess that Taylor and Akinola ( and probably Ferguson ) just weren't fit enough after playing last Wednesday and Saturday.
I really don't think MM is ignoring his best eleven , but just managing them the best he can.
If those three had all started and broke down ( like Ranger ) we would be in deeper mire than we already are.
As I say , I'm not disagreeing with your idea but I trust MM knows the level each can give right now.
I think the question is that it is perhaps not the best approach to alternate between no changes and 6 changes. Rotating 2-3 game to game would be more sustainable and less destructive.

Why on earth did we re-sign Acquah in the summer? Desperation I presume. He is clearly not up to professional standard. Isn't Hackett-Fairchild a striker by trade? Why not play him up front if Goodship or Akinola aren't fit. Our biggest problem is clearly lack of goals, and we're never going to solve that with Acquah on his own up front.
Its not Acquah's fault we failed to sign any other other strikers. As has been said repeatedly if he was one of say 3-4 strikers who could play in that same role he would be learning his trade as part of the squad. Instead it's all been put on his shoulders- he is doing a decent job and improving (despite the lack of support from some of his own supporters). At the same time there are plenty on who believe he is doing well.

Its not Acquah's fault we failed to sign any other other strikers. As has been said repeatedly if he was one of say 3-4 strikers who could play in that same role he would be learning his trade as part of the squad. Instead it's all been put on his shoulders- he is doing a decent job and improving (despite the lack of support from some of his own supporters). At the same time there are plenty on who believe he is doing well.
Not an easy task but you could never say he was doing a decent job!

A few observations

It’s weird as the opposition commentators thought we were really good at what we had set out to do.

They were (IMO) the better side but it was hardly backs against the walls.

Apparently the season is decided in the first week of March/ or you need to not only be third from bottom but also have a cushion

It’s weird how despite not being complete idiots ( I’m happy to give the benefit of the doubt), some posters don’t seem to be able to comprehend that any manager takes into account fitness/ injuries/ ability to play in future matches into account when picking a side.

I took away all references to the score and showed this thread to 10 mates ( i didn’t but you get the drift). The average score guessed was a 4-0 loss.

On to the game, yes very frustrating watching ANG loose it all the time, Holmes not do what we all hoped, one of our (few) chances not go in.

But also good to see how hard we are to score against, concentration and effort levels to be high right to the final whistle.

Added to that we made a lot of changes to the starting 11 and didn’t look like 11 strangers.

Loads of things we could have done better , but we are at the bottom for a reason

The only issue I had with the starting line up, was playing a CB at RB; surely we had another option.

I understand why MM did what he did; with the other changes.

The idea behind that change was fairly simple. Cheltenham are a big side with a long throw as one of their biggest weapons. For this particular game it made perfect sense in the absence of Elvis to replace him with the biggest, most physical option available.

What about the dozen or so other times every match where he doesn't jump? One instance proves nothing. If he wants to help, then Nile can do some mentoring there.
It's not one instance though. You said he never jumps. He does, you just choose not to see it. He may not jump for balls that are sailing over his head, or when he's being leaned on by defenders, but that's fair enough. Sometimes the job of the forward is just to be in the way, to make it harder for the defender. Watch the opposition forwards they don't jump for everything either

That is some statement:

Mellis hasn’t played one minute in a Southend team this season. Given this, how is he, at this point in our season, a first choice CM?

We also look much more solid with the midfield overload of a central 3, that a 451/4231/433 (whatever you want to call it) provides, yet you are pronouncing a switch to a midfield 4.

Who plays up front? We have well documented struggles with availability of suitable strikers this season and yet I assume you’re advocating a front two.
Akinola simpson
Akinola goodship
Holmes akinola
Goodship simpson

Look,All because we dont have any recoignised strikers other then goodship fit right now doesent mean we cant try others up top? Trying anyone other then acquah gets my vote!! Bilel moshi was versatile a player who could player almost anywhere.We could try the same with the likes of mellis,olyinka,I'm sure Ferguson could do a good job!! One of the many midfielders we have could turn out to be an asset upfront.But I'm hoping we sign Simpson asap!!

The idea behind that change was fairly simple. Cheltenham are a big side with a long throw as one of their biggest weapons. For this particular game it made perfect sense in the absence of Elvis to replace him with the biggest, most physical option available.
Yeah it seems MM chose to fight fire with fire and play them at their own game rather than let them worry about us. I’m not gonna criticise too much as it almost helped us secure a point and hey, our issues were at the other end of the pitch ... no not Acquah but our lack of creativity when we moved into the final third. I was disappointed Holmes didn’t have more impact, let’s hope it’s just game time he needs.

Akinola simpson
Akinola goodship
Holmes akinola
Goodship simpson

Look,All because we dont have any recoignised strikers other then goodship fit right now doesent mean we cant try others up top? Trying anyone other then acquah gets my vote!! Bilel moshi was versatile a player who could player almost anywhere.We could try the same with the likes of mellis,olyinka,I'm sure Ferguson could do a good job!! One of the many midfielders we have could turn out to be an asset upfront.But I'm hoping we sign Simpson asap!!

We've tried Halford and we've tried Dieng up top. Your suggesting abandoning the big lump up front. I think that could only work if we also stop the long balls forward.

Akinola simpson
Akinola goodship
Holmes akinola
Goodship simpson

Remind me how many of the above are fit

I'm looking forward to seeing him play as we need him ! I'd have olyinka,mellis,fergusson and holmes in the midfield

I can't let that one go ... I simply wouldn't drop Dieng for anyone in our squad unless he needed resting, was injured or suspended. Same goes for Taylor over a player I haven't see play in our side yet. He'll have to prove his fitness and work his way into the team, then hopefully we have a deep set of midfielders we can maximise over the run-in.

Holmes should be rotating with RHF and Egbri imho. Although I wasn't sure where Holmes wanted to play the other night. It felt like he cut inside a lot and chased the game a bit.

Akinola simpson
Akinola goodship
Holmes akinola
Goodship simpson

You're doing it again aren't you shrimpet, turning to a player we haven't even signed let alone seen play for us yet!

But then the circle is complete, turning to Goodship who I'm pretty sure early on in the season many were pretty vocal about not being good enough in the same vein as Acquah. I'm not going to trawl back to see what your earlier thoughts were on Goodship but I'm having a wild stab.

I personally think Goodship does still have something to offer though so perhaps we'll agree; a lot like Acquah is at times, Goodship was being asked to fulfil roles early on in the season that just didn't play to his strengths.

The only issue I had with the starting line up, was playing a CB at RB; surely we had another option.

I understand why MM did what he did; with the other changes.

and it cost us the game ..

small understandable mistake but fine margins and all that ..

Not an easy task but you could never say he was doing a decent job!
Well many on here would disagree with your opinion. So you can say "you could never" but saying it demonstrably doesn't make it true.

You're doing it again aren't you shrimpet, turning to a player we haven't even signed let alone seen play for us yet!

But then the circle is complete, turning to Goodship who I'm pretty sure early on in the season many were pretty vocal about not being good enough in the same vein as Acquah. I'm not going to trawl back to see what your earlier thoughts were on Goodship but I'm having a wild stab.

I personally think Goodship does still have something to offer though so perhaps we'll agree; a lot like Acquah is at times, Goodship was being asked to fulfil roles early on in the season that just didn't play to his strengths.
I will admit I didnt rate goodship but the goals he has scored have been strikers goals if u know what I mean? We also have much better players in midfield now and goodship may flourish given the chance!! Unlike acquah who has been given umpteen chances and fouled miserably!!

Remind me how many of the above are fit
All ! If there on the bench they are fit enough! If there not fit too play then they shouldn't travel to the games at all!! Akinola looked fine when he came on the other night but apparently before he was injured?? Same with mellis been training at least a month now I'm sure he is ready!!

Akinola simpson
Akinola goodship
Holmes akinola
Goodship simpson

Hmmm... You’ve got Olayinka, Mellis, Ferguson and Holmes in your midfield. Make your mind up: are they in midfield or attack? And, Simpson hasn’t signed. So that leaves Akinola and Goodship: one was recently injured, the other is coming back a couple months out injured.

Hmmm... You’ve got Olayinka, Mellis, Ferguson and Holmes in your midfield. Make your mind up: are they in midfield or attack? And, Simpson hasn’t signed. So that leaves Akinola and Goodship: one was recently injured, the other is coming back a couple months out injured.
Yes they are midfielders and of course that's where there best suited,but I'm suggesting we try one of those upfront.

Back