• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PhilChester

Hello everyone, I am heading down to your place on the train with my young lad for next weeks FA Cup match. Are there any boozers/chippies that you can all recommend to me? Want to make his first train journey for an away match a good one.
On the ticket front do the away fans need to get tickets beforehand or can we just pay on the gate?
Thanks.

The Fish House, right next to the ground, is cracking. Gets pretty busy pre-match, but you should be able to get a table for two without too much bother. Enjoy your tirp! Well, not too much....

Hi Phil

If you get the train, the closest station to the ground is Prittlewell (not any of the ones with Southend in their name!) - if you walk from here to the ground, you'll pass the Fish House on the way to the ground, it's a decent chippy and they have a few tables if you'd rather eat in (sometimes easier if your lad is young).

I would imagine you'll be able to pay on the day (unless you think Chester will be bringing a few thousand, in which case they may make it all ticket!). It's not cash on the turnstile itself, but there's a small ticket office next to them where you purchase first as the turnstiles are automatic with a barcode reader (the most modern and high-tech bit of the ground!).

Away fans have their own entrance off Fairfax Drive, head down the hill past the club shop, left at the lights and about 400yds on from there, just past the car park.

I hope your lad enjoys his fish and chips, the friendliness of the locals, banter and everything else - I hope the game itself is a miserable drubbing for you though! ;-)

As the others have said the Fish House by St Mary's Church is good and the Blue Boar on the opposite corner across the traffic lights is the normal designated 'away' pub.
If you're coming by train from Liverpool Street then you'll want Prittlewell station as that's the closest to the ground, The Railway by Prittlewell station is a 'home' pub as is the Spread Eagle in Victoria Avenue.
If you're coming from Fenchurch Street then you will want Southend Central and then walk up the High Street and Victoria Avenue; there is a Wetherspoons, The Last Post, opposite the upside of Central Station. C2C from Fenchurch is quicker, cheaper and has newer trains but has the walk at the end, not unpleasant or too far on a nice day....

As I live 12 miles from Chester City I would love a replay.
Are there any exiles wanting the same and how close are you to Chester's ground which sits across the border of England and Wales?

Hello everyone, I am heading down to your place on the train with my young lad for next weeks FA Cup match. Are there any boozers/chippies that you can all recommend to me? Want to make his first train journey for an away match a good one.
On the ticket front do the away fans need to get tickets beforehand or can we just pay on the gate?
Thanks.
How much is the train journeys to Southend?

hi Phil,a great day ahead.Taking your boy to the first away game.Remember taking mine (in a pushchair),to his first..Bristol city v sufc,late 80s..Dont remember the game that well,other than we won..but i remember the buffet bar inter city 125 ,to &from Bristol,plus a few "pubs"in Bristol..Remember my wife picking us up from the station,saying i had been drinking!!!hallo!!!also took him onto the (think) Great weston!!(ship),which he loved..the reason why im writting this
,is get to "sarfend" early,then take him onto the pier..you both will love that,honest..Been to Chester 3 times,last one was 23 aug 1975..it was your first ever game in the 3rd..before , the game you had a little(very)4 floates,carnival...was you at that game??anyway,have a great time,with your boy,who do you think "sarfend" will get in the next round:smile:

Thanks for your help everyone!

Spoons, I live in Elton...train is £75 for me and my Son. My brother has a rail card to make it more affordable for us all.

Ozzie, it's not my lads first away match but the first one over such a distance and via train. Easy win for your lot mate, no pressure :winking: A draw would be superb for us but you being full time should see you through one thing is for sure though is that you'll know Chester fans are in the ground, since being exiled in Macclesfield when we had our ground sold our away following has been superb...seems we don't mind the distances after having to travel 90 odd miles round trip for home games. I came to your place back in 99-00 when you beat us 3-1 (I think).

Spoons, I live in Elton...train is £75 for me and my Son. My brother has a rail card to make it more affordable for us all.

Ozzie, it's not my lads first away match but the first one over such a distance and via train. Easy win for your lot mate, no pressure :winking: A draw would be superb for us but you being full time should see you through one thing is for sure though is that you'll know Chester fans are in the ground, since being exiled in Macclesfield when we had our ground sold our away following has been superb...seems we don't mind the distances after having to travel 90 odd miles round trip for home games. I came to your place back in 99-00 when you beat us 3-1 (I think).

Always nice to hear from fans from other clubs. I hadn't realised the Deva (?) had been sold - not that I miss it as I did not think too much to the ground (or location). Once saw a game there when conditions could have been described as 'monsoon' weather - except the wind was bringing the rain in horizontally.

Still remember that Gary Bennett chap - I think he found his way back to Chester after leaving us.

Last edited:

I wouldn't bank on it!!! Enjoy your day, as others have said, try and get down early and head for the seafront, the pier is worth a visit, and then there's also plenty of options to get something to eat as you walk back up the High Street towards the ground (probably just over a mile walk. There's a good fish and chip shop in Queens Road near the top of the High Street, by the Post Office, which will be less busy than the Fish House. There's plenty of seating in there too.

Always nice to hear from fans from other clubs. I hadn't realised the Deva (?) had been sold - not that I miss it as I did not think too much to the ground (or location). Once saw a game there when conditions could have been described as 'masoon' weather - except the wind was bringing the rain in horizontally.

Still remember that Gary Bennett chap - I think he found his way back to Chester after leaving us.

Chester still play at the Deva Stadium it is just called the Swansay Chester Stadium now. They had I think 2 seasons playing at Macclesfield I can remember going there at least once. Also went to their old ground Sealand Road a couple of times it wasn't actually a bad ground.

Chester still play at the Deva Stadium it is just called the Swansay Chester Stadium now. They had I think 2 seasons playing at Macclesfield I can remember going there at least once. Also went to their old ground Sealand Road a couple of times it wasn't actually a bad ground.

Thanks for that.

Yes we sold the Sealand Road ground, moved to Macc for 2 seasons then came to our lego stadium (Deva), now known as the Swansway - typical souless ground. Sadly for us our main threat has been sent off today so he will be missing. :'(
Looking forward to the trip, should be down your way just after 1.

Got my ticket this morning .Its the east greens for me but have been advised that if enough tickets get sold then they will open the south and I could transfer over .

Back