• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Post your Match Reports and Ratings here please.

There are going to be a few upset fans making the long trek back tonight and after listening to the commentary on the radio IMO we should of won easily.

Sturrock is holding his hands up for the defeat.

"Maybe the wrong type of subs we're made at the wrong times in hindsight, but you cannot miss the chances we have had and expect to win games"​

Gutted - deserved at least a point and probably more. But we had some glorious chances to finish the game and didn't. A shade of misfortune about the winner but when you're near the top those things go your way. I'll take the positives out of a good performance at a side at the top of the table but we really need to start putting those chances away.

Just got home!

I don't think Sturrock should be too harsh on himself about the substitutions, although I'm not sure why Ryan Hall for Fairhurst. Paterson probably should have been subbed earlier, and I was hoping that both Fairhurst and Paterson would come off for Jarvis and Crawford. When Hall and Jarvis came on we seemed to play 451 with Hall in the middle and our shape fell apart, Soares didn't seem to know where he should have been.

After a slow start and going 1-0 down we got back into the game and finished the first half very brightly. Both teams settled down in the second but we continued to create chances and defended well. Granty was more disciplined than he has been and that helped us both defend and attack. Chesterfield were a threat down both flanks but Soares and Simpson both worked hard to cover our full-backs. Granty took his goal well, stroking the ball into the corner from the edge of the box... I think it was him who gave away the pen (looked like he dangled out a leg and the attacker obliged and fell over it). Their late winner was a sickener, it wasn't a corner... and then our attempted clearance hit the back of a player and the striker brought it down and smashed it in. A draw would have been a fair result and we had a few good chances (including Soares hitting the post) to go 2 up.

Morris - 5.5 - Kicking was off today, and spilled an easy catch
Gilbert - 5.5 - Run ragged
Barker - 7 - Solid, except for a couple of scuffed clearances
Cloughlan - 7 - Legs like Spinner, head like Sodje. He was excellent
Clohessy - 7 - Solid, with good delivery going forward
Simpson - 7 - Really worked hard, linked up well and played very high up which really put pressure on their defence
Grant - 7 - Good disciplined game, took his goal well
Timlin - 6 - Wasn't impressed, his passing isn't great and his heading was poor. Will be good to have Easton back
Soares - 7.5 MOTM - He was excellent, looked a completely different player to the one last week against Lincoln. Worked hard in both defence and attack, put some good balls in and wasn't afraid to run at players. Denied a good goal by the post and then keeper.
Fairhurst - 7 - Very impressed, he looks a useful player. Linked up well and has good skill and technique.
Paterson 5.5 - Sorry but just didn't do it for me, far too weak and every header or tackle was halfhearted. We missed the physicality of Sturrock and Corr up front today

Subs:
Jarvis - 6 - Linked up well a couple of times
Hall - 5.5 - Didn't do anything except for seemed to get in our players way. Don't know where he was supposed to be playing

TBV - 9 - Fantastic support today

Ref - 6 - A few strange decisions for both teams, but on the whole he was consistent

Just got home!

I don't think Sturrock should be too harsh on himself about the substitutions, although I'm not sure why Ryan Hall for Fairhurst. Paterson probably should have been subbed earlier, and I was hoping that both Fairhurst and Paterson would come off for Jarvis and Crawford. When Hall and Jarvis came on we seemed to play 451 with Hall in the middle and our shape fell apart, Soares didn't seem to know where he should have been.

After a slow start and going 1-0 down we got back into the game and finished the first half very brightly. Both teams settled down in the second but we continued to create chances and defended well. Granty was more disciplined than he has been and that helped us both defend and attack. Chesterfield were a threat down both flanks but Soares and Simpson both worked hard to cover our full-backs. Granty took his goal well, stroking the ball into the corner from the edge of the box... I think it was him who gave away the pen (looked like he dangled out a leg and the attacker obliged and fell over it). Their late winner was a sickener, it wasn't a corner... and then our attempted clearance hit the back of a player and the striker brought it down and smashed it in. A draw would have been a fair result and we had a few good chances (including Soares hitting the post) to go 2 up.

Morris - 5.5 - Kicking was off today, and spilled an easy catch
Gilbert - 5.5 - Run ragged
Barker - 7 - Solid, except for a couple of scuffed clearances
Cloughlan - 7 - Legs like Spinner, head like Sodje. He was excellent
Clohessy - 7 - Solid, with good delivery going forward
Simpson - 7 - Really worked hard, linked up well and played very high up which really put pressure on their defence
Grant - 7 - Good disciplined game, took his goal well
Timlin - 6 - Wasn't impressed, his passing isn't great and his heading was poor. Will be good to have Easton back
Soares - 7.5 MOTM - He was excellent, looked a completely different player to the one last week against Lincoln. Worked hard in both defence and attack, put some good balls in and wasn't afraid to run at players. Denied a good goal by the post and then keeper.
Fairhurst - 7 - Very impressed, he looks a useful player. Linked up well and has good skill and technique.
Paterson 5.5 - Sorry but just didn't do it for me, far too weak and every header or tackle was halfhearted. We missed the physicality of Sturrock and Corr up front today

Subs:
Jarvis - 6 - Linked up well a couple of times
Hall - 5.5 - Didn't do anything except for seemed to get in our players way. Don't know where he was supposed to be playing

TBV - 9 - Fantastic support today

Ref - 6 - A few strange decisions for both teams, but on the whole he was consistent

So you made up your mind about Corr on the basis of one appearance too then? :winking:

So you made up your mind about Corr on the basis of one appearance too then? :winking:

Nope, I've seen Corr play a couple of times this season and he was excellent (and scored) both times.

Please copy & paste the below and add your match rating out of 10 for the Pringello Index. Deadline is 5pm Monday for inclusion.

Morris -
Gilbert -
Barker -
Coughlan -
Clohessy -
Simpson -
Grant -
Timlin -
Soares -
Fairhurst -
Paterson -

Subs:
Jarvis -
Hall -

The Blue Voice -

Couldn't you just see it happening when we were pounding them just before the break without getting that so important 2nd. But I guess that what makes football the best sport in the world, any other competion and the referee would have stopped it or the aggressor would have been so out of sight the rest of the game would have been boring. Oh well.... only 3 points off the playoffs. And the BV were absolutely fantastic making it more like a home game for us. Lets just get rid of that horrible morroon kit and get back to yellow as quick as pos and everything will be fine.

Couldn't you just see it happening when we were pounding them just before the break without getting that so important 2nd. But I guess that what makes football the best sport in the world, any other competion and the referee would have stopped it or the aggressor would have been so out of sight the rest of the game would have been boring. Oh well.... only 3 points off the playoffs. And the BV were absolutely fantastic making it more like a home game for us. Lets just get rid of that horrible morroon kit and get back to yellow as quick as pos and everything will be fine.

Yep, we all said it was a shame when the half time whistle went because we were really putting the pressure on. To be fair Sturrock has said that it's a balancing act between going for the second and remaining tight at the back, I think we did that very well in the second half and although Chesterfield had a few chances it was just a horrible ending to what was a very encouraging performance. We should definitely take a lot of positives from today... and in the end the fact we came away empty-handed is just what can happen in football.

I think we were genuinely genuinely unluckly not to nick a point today - which would have been a great result. Lucky rebound in the area, and a good finish from their lad and it's 1-2. A great shame considering the work we put in.

Morris - 7 - little to do, although doesn't have the presence of our recent keepers.
Gilbert - 6 - struggled for a period early on, but improved later
Barker - 7 - scrapped away all day and generally won his battles.
Coughlan - 8 - good game, won pretty much every header - a big physical presence. committed.
Clohessy - 6 - did nothing wrong, but i've seen him play better.
Simpson - 7 - good work and use of the ball in midfield.
Grant - 7 - too good for this level - immediately finds space with the ball at his feet.
Timlin - 7 - same as simpson
Soares - 7 - best game i've seen him play.
Fairhurst - 7 - useful debut. clearly has a bit of potential. start him next game too.
Paterson - 7 - worked hard, but a classic example of why (Blair) Sturrock should not get the abuse he does. The ball doesn't stick to Patterson as well.

That was a painful finish to my first game of the season......

We did start slowly, and Chesterfield dominated things early going with some positive and direct running, culminating in the Penalty. Seemed a bit soft, but from pitch level at the other end of the ground, it's hard to tell. We then raised the tempo, with some nice passing, Simpson looking a good technical player, with Fairhurst and Patterson turning their cumbersome markers we started to cause problems.

Lovely passed into the net equaliser, stroked in along the ground. It was in as soon as it left Grants boot. Unfortunately half time then came too early. If only Simpson hadn't blazed over on the half volley from eight yards out.......

Second half was fairly end to end, with Grant and Timlin passing well, and Clohessey making some lovely overlaps and swinging in some deep crosses. Soares caused some chaos cutting in from wide. Another deep cross caused mayhem in the Chesterfield box, Ford, their centre Half looked at sea most of the game, and Soares contrived to hit it straight at a flailing keeper when unmarked close in, with the rebound clipping the bar.

Chesterfield hit a hopeful ball into the channel, Soares tracked back surperbly and made a great sliding tackle, with the ball rebounding off the forwards shins, who then cleverly shielded the ball across the touchline. The brainless linesman gave a corner, and we all know what happened next. Very harsh defeat, but if you don't take your chances.......

Morris - 6. Looked calm and assured. One hot potato moment, but did what he had to.

Gilbert - 4. Didn't win a tackle all afternoon, causing Barker to be pulled out of position.

Barker - 7. Solid oerformance, a couple of shanked clearances aside.

Coughlan - 7. Again, Solid. Kept it simple, won headers and cleared his lines.

Clohessy - 8. Thought he was excellent, both defensively and going forward.

Simpson - 6. Nice passing, but drifted in and out far to much.

Grant - 8. Pulling the strings, and covering between the Centre Backs superbly.

Timlin - 5. Anonymous at times. Needs to get more involved.

Soares - 7.5. Bit too casual, but caused a few problems.

Fairhurst - 6. Some nice touches, turned his marker a couple of times.

Paterson - 6. Willing running, and got involved. Missed his ine chance of the match.

Subs:
Jarvis - 5. Ran, but didn't get involved.
Hall - 5. As above.

The Blue Voice - 9. Loved the '****ing Useless' chant, which described their number 9 perfectly. :hilarious:

Last edited:
This is a game where we got mugged. We out played Colchester for large parts of this match and they were very forunate to get the win.

I don't think any of us who were at the game can have a single bad word to say about the passion of the players and their will to win. What was unfortunate today was that our best scoring chances didn't fall to our strikers!

Morris - 7 - Apart from one spilled catch was great
Gilbert - 6 - A difficult afternoon against some veyr talented players but played his heart out
Barker - 7 - 100% dedication, really does get stuck in and challenges for everything
Cloughlan - 7 - He was excellent, so unlucky with his clearance in the last second
Clohessy - 7 - Solid, had to work hard against some very mobile players
Simpson - 7 - Worked hard, missed a sitter
Grant - 7.5 - Great finish, kept pushing the lads on and on
Timlin - 6 - Struggled to cope with the bald lad in midfield for Colchester
Soares - 7 - Doesn't do it for me yet, but there's a good player in there, again missed a sitter
Fairhurst - 6 - Good first half, but faded in the second looks stronger than Jarvis
Paterson 7 - Challenged well in the air, chased down and put some superb passes through that should have led to a red card after Grant was hauled down. I don't think he should have been subbed as he was causing problems for their defence.

Subs:
Jarvis - 5 - Couldn't get involved
Hall - 5 - Just ran around

TBV - 9 - Fantastic support today - at what was a very nice new stadium, locals were friendly in the Derby Donkey!

Ref - 6 - A few strange decisions for both teams, but on the whole he was consistent - lad should have gone for the cynical tackle on Grant

this is a game where we got mugged. we out played colchester for large parts of this match and they were very forunate to get the win.

I don't think any of us who were at the game can have a single bad word to say about the passion of the players and their will to win. What was unfortunate today was that our best scoring chances didn't fall to our strikers!

Morris - 7 - apart from one spilled catch was great
gilbert - 6 - a difficult afternoon against some veyr talented players but played his heart out
barker - 7 - 100% dedication, really does get stuck in and challenges for everything
cloughlan - 7 - he was excellent, so unlucky with his clearance in the last second
clohessy - 7 - solid, had to work hard against some very mobile players
simpson - 7 - worked hard, missed a sitter
grant - 7.5 - great finish, kept pushing the lads on and on
timlin - 6 - struggled to cope with the bald lad in midfield for colchester
soares - 7 - doesn't do it for me yet, but there's a good player in there, again missed a sitter
fairhurst - 6 - good first half, but faded in the second looks stronger than jarvis
paterson 7 - challenged well in the air, chased down and put some superb passes through that should have led to a red card after grant was hauled down. I don't think he should have been subbed as he was causing problems for their defence.

Subs:
Jarvis - 5 - couldn't get involved
hall - 5 - just ran around

tbv - 9 - fantastic support today - at what was a very nice new stadium, locals were friendly in the derby donkey!

Ref - 6 - a few strange decisions for both teams, but on the whole he was consistent - lad should have gone for the cynical tackle on grant

colchester????

My first game of the season and was as gutted as the rest of us to see that late goal go in. I was initially disappointed that Hall had been dropped as felt it might inhibit our attacking play. But Soares did a decent enough job as his replcement on the left. For the first 30 mins they were all over us and we were just playing too many long balls that neither Pats or Fairhurst could hold up. Then in a flash things changed and we bossed the last 15 mins of the opening period. Barker and Simpson both had great chances to put us in front after Grant had coolly levelled things up. indeed the home side should count them selves lucky to have still had 11 men on the pitch at the break after their centre back tripped Grant when through on goal. From behind the goal he looked like the last man.
Second half I felt that we never really had a sustained spell of serious pressure and I was slightly disappointed that we didn't take the game by the scruff of the neck and go full out for the 3 points....especially considering that they must have been feeling the pace having played on Wednesday night (24 hrs later than ourselves).
I thought Coughlan was immense at the back and used his experience really well...his positioning was particularly good I felt.
Grant was naive for the penalty...and anyone who watches Danny Whittaker take pens must have seen that he generally puts them straight down the middle....yes a bit harsh on Morris I know!! He did however drop one simple cross which almost led to a goal. All in all a decent, committed performance, and we were unlucky not to claim a point. We have a group of committed players which is pleasing.

Morris - 6 - Strange match for him....picked the ball out of the net twice....but then didn't really have a save to make as the Chesterfield finishing was so wayward.
Gilbert - 5.5 - Got done for pace a few times throughout the 90 mins and didn't get forward a whole lot....but I felt he improved in the 2nd period.
Barker - 7 - Stuck to his task well....a few shanks which led to panic stations.....but generally he was solid aginst two very decent strikers at this level.
Coughlan - 7.5 - got his head on most things and marshalled the defence excellently. Great leader. Looked gutted at the end. Wife and kids were in the away end too which made it even harder to take.
Clohessy - 7 - Supports our attacks well....like him. Sometimes Simpson wonders infielf which leaves him a little exposed.
Simpson - 7 - Has got a bit about him......should have made it 2-1 on stroke of HT but missed a sitter. Good football brain. Would be more effective in the middle IMO.
Grant - 7 - Was good, but I want him to be dominting the midfield against league 2 sides and I didn't think he did that today. Great finish to equalise.
Timlin - 5 - Was disappointed in his performance. The game passed him by for long periods. His passing was wayward at times as well.
Soares - 6.5 - Does some great things, but then can also have you tearing your hair out with some sloppy play. Has good pace when in full flow and is committed 100%. Just needs to work on his final ball and learn when to pass, because once or twice he was caught with the ball in dangerous areas.
Fairhurst - 6 - Had a fantastic 15 minute spell just before half time when we game him the ball in areas where he can really affect games. However he tired in the second half and should have come off earlier IMO. I would also question why Sturrock has not signed a target man to replace Corr for a month? The ball kept coming back at us in the opening 30 mins because neither Waide or Paterson could hold the ball up.
Paterson - 6 - His style of play is often quite frustrating to watch as he looks half hearted at times. Failed to hold the ball up in the opening 30 mins when we played hoof ball too much, although he looked better when we got the ball down and played......needs to play off either Sturrock or Corr to get the best out of him.

Subs:
Jarvis - 6 - Looked to have something about him. Showed a couple of nice touches.
Hall - 5 - No chance to shine....nice touch to come over to a young lad who he hit with a free kick at half time.

The Blue Voice - 8 - great atmosphere

Didnt go to the game but one theme seems to keep coming up and its one I have noticed too.....Gilbert is not much cop....

Morris - 7

Clohessy - 7
Barker - 8
Coughlan - 8
Gilbert - 6

Simpson - 7
Grant - 8
Timlin - 6
Soares - 6

Fairhurst - 7
Paterson - 6

Subs:
Jarvis - 5
Hall - 5

The Blue Voice - 9

Quite liked there stadium apart from the open corners, something just a few thousand bigger than that would be perfect for us.

An entertaining game, and one where we deserved to get something. Twice we hit the woodwork, Simpson missed a glorious chance and at times we played some really good football. If we can perform like that every week, the future is rosey. Ok, so we didn't get anything but this was so much better than most of our previous games.

Morris 7 - Had little to do.
Clohessy 7 - Solid again, he is going to be star sooner or later
Gilbert 6 - Another average performance
Barker 6.5 - Strong, solid, but a few mistakes and slips today.
Coughlan 7.5 - Won pretty much everything.
Grant 7 - Ran and ran and ran. Good goal too
Timlin 7 - I like him, can we keep him please?
Simpson 6.5 - Missed a glorious chance before the break, played some tidy passes
Soares 8 - The best I have seen from him so far. At times looked unplayable.
Fairhust 7 - Not a bad debut, battled and fought very well
Paterson 5.5 - One decent header, and that was about it.

Subs.
Jarvis 6 - Didn't have a chance to much
Hall 6 - As above

TBV 8 - Normally don't comment on the crowd, but today was a very vociferous performance.

Back