• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
Put your ratings and no doubts rants here.

Please can someone who went explain to me where 6 mins added time came from?

The added on time came because so much of the second half was taken up with rather oddly awarded free kicks and bits of time wasting. Goal celebrations too now seem rather lengthy and this ref did not seem to try to hurry up either team.
i wrote on the pre match thread that I would rather see a good performance that gave hope for the season overall even if it was with a defeat than a lack lustre performance and a snatched draw/ victory. For me - and I see Blues very rarely - this is a fit and really positive squad who work for each other constantly and who can only do well at this level. I can't believe the change in Straker even though I have of course read a lot about it on here. He and Coker are a fantastic blend of quick passing, quick movement and amazing understanding of each other. White is great as is Thompson and the defence looks overall really sound. Their second goal was one of the few defensive lapses in the game. I do think we need greater strength up front. Both Barry and Freddie were quite deep today and they did well, especially in Fred's determination to get that goal but I think we miss last year's strike force a lot - the rest of you know better than me how that looks a Ross several games. But I was really proud to be a fan today and look forward to Burton and Mansfield.
Great support too - made the home crowd look very quiet and ordinary.

Nearly nicked a point here against a decent Chesterfield side - incredibly frustrating. Can't think when I last saw us play better and lose though - a very good performance today. To be fair we aren't the biggest side and were always up against it at set pieces. They owe their keeper as well for saving point blank at 1-1.

Bentley - 7 - a great shot stopper and his cult status amongst fans mean any flaws in his game will be overlooked.
White - 7 - another safe and assured performance. Looks as reliable as the man he replaced.
Thompson - 6 - struggled to impose himself against a big centre forward. stuck to his task though. When is Phillips fit?
Prosser - 8 - is now the main man at the back, and looks very composed at this level.
Coker - 8 - gets up and down well, and links up well with Straker.
Atkinson - 7 - improved as the game went on, and had more influence when he moved into the middle.
Clifford - 7 - lots of energy, but didn't influence the game as much as we'd like him to.
Leonard - 8 - cuts the mustard in the middle now, but lacks a killer ball.
Straker - 7 - who is this half decent player that's stolen Straker's shirt?
Corr - 6 - struggled to get involved with the game, but you know if you leave him on, sooner or later he'll score.
Eastwood - 8 - when this guy bothers to try, he's a cut above anything else on the park.

Sub

Hurst - 7 - team played better with him on the right and Atkinson in the middle.
Cowan - 6 - doesn't look to have much to add. not even sure he has real pace.
Timlin - 6 - not on long. didn't go into his first challenge like a man who had recently broken his leg!

Personally I wouldn't have taken Freddy off. I thought he was very effective today and the 90 mins wouldn't have done any harm to his fitness levels. Maybe wrong but not being too critical but didn't their corner that led to their winning goal came about because Don Cowan lost it up top. Always felt we could nick a goal or 2 the way Freddy played today.

9's and 10's all round! Great performance and a cracking draw!! Shame I had to leave early as I would of wanted to clap them off..!
E I E I E I O

:net:

Probably the hardest fixture out of the way this season.... No shame in this result. Big reaction needed now in High Wycombe.

Result could have gone either way, with Prosser nearly snatching all 3 points just moments before there winner. Not the end of the world though, just make sure we pick up maximum points at Wycombe now.

UTB

Bit gutted at the end - well worthy of at least a point - maybe more. They're a decent side and thought we matched them. Except Cowan ,who did nothing, every player contributed all they could.

And as for the home 'fans' who tried to stop play by not returning the ball - grow up you *****. But as their dick of a manager tried to do the same earlier in the game then I shouldn't be surprised they followed his lead.

Also nice to briefly meet Yogi in the pub beforehand - good to put a face to the name! :smile:

Horrible to lose it like that and Prosser had the chance to make it happen the other way just a minute before, I think we played well overall and deserved a point and have shown that we can compete with one of the top sides in the league. In the last 10 minutes Brown seemed to decide to settle for a draw which at the time we definitely could of gone on to get all 3 but ended up with none, Eastwood, Leonard, White and Coker impressed and Hurst changed the game when he came on, The game showed we can definitely make a push for promotion
UTB

Horrible to lose it like that and Prosser had the chance to make it happen the other way just a minute before, I think we played well overall and deserved a point and have shown that we can compete with one of the top sides in the league. In the last 10 minutes Brown seemed to decide to settle for a draw which at the time we definitely could of gone on to get all 3 but ended up with none, Eastwood, Leonard, White and Coker impressed and Hurst changed the game when he came on, The game showed we can definitely make a push for promotion
n
UTB
Sorry mate not sure Hurst changed the game. I thought they were all excellent. 6 ------- mins extra time what planet was that ref on.
lets take the positives and don't harp on the loss.i read Luke as held his hands up for the goal, but it could have been so different, great game, well played boys.
i would rather go down like that.

Bit gutted at the end - well worthy of at least a point - maybe more. They're a decent side and thought we matched them. Except Cowan ,who did nothing, every player contributed all they could.

And as for the home 'fans' who tried to stop play by not returning the ball - grow up you *****. But as their dick of a manager tried to do the same earlier in the game then I shouldn't be surprised they followed his lead.

Also nice to briefly meet Yogi in the pub beforehand - good to put a face to the name! :smile:

I can confirm that he is indeed a very nice bloke.

My first chance to see the team this season, and I have tosay that I doubt I have seen us play better, particularly away from home, sincethe better part of Tilly’s era. Our football was on a different level toanything under Sturrock. It was slick, attacking, with everyone seemingly confident on the ball for the full 90 minutes. The two full backs were superb throughout, tenacious in the tackle, whilst getting forward and joining in attacks at every opportunity. Everyone worked their socks of, and the tremendous team spirit clearly evident will surely see us have a successful season. The cruel finish of course was a real kick in the teeth, especially considering that over the 96 minutes, I felt that we had just edged it. Indeed,the fact that the away following were singing and chanting as the players came over to thank the fans for their support told you a lot about the performance today.
The difference between defeat and victory today was GaryRoberts. He is so technically gifted and if he stays fit, then I’m sure Chesterfield will finish in the top 3 this season. I saw him play for Accrington about 8 years ago against Lincoln and knew then that he would go onto have a decent career.
Ratings:

Bentley – 7.5……One early fumble from a low cross/ shot, buthe oozes confidence in the main. His kicking was pretty good too. Made awonderful fingertip save to stop a shot destined for the top corner in the firsthalf. No chance with the first goal (wonderful free kick from a fabulouslytalented Roberts), but I would have to see the second goal again to see if hecould have come out and dealt with the corner before the Chesterfield player thumped home the unmarked header from close range
White – 8……Very impressed both defensively and going forward. One early burst into the box after some great triangular interplay was superb. He hardly put a foot wrong all afternoon. From what some others had said previously, I wasn’t expecting him to get forward so much and support Atkinson(especially first half).
Coker – 8……As with White, I feel we have a signed a wonderful player here. Very determined, decent pace and comfortable in possession. He continued his excellent understanding with Straker on that left side. He was up and done all afternoon, always looking to get forward. Won some important tackles and looked gutted at the final whistle.
Prosser – 7.5….Loses half a mark as he seems to have admitted that it was his man who got the winning goal after he misjudged the flight of the corner. He was excellent otherwise though, winning numerous headers against the experienced and clever Mark Richards. He is growing with every game and looked to play a simple pass whenever he could which will please many.
Thompson – 7….I was impressed with Adam today. Although helost out in one or two aerial battles, his ability to read the game and seize upon a loose pass, and get a vital foot it to prevent an attack was evident throughout. He seems to have settled in really well and looks a very decent signing. He will get better and better I’m sure.
Atkinson – 7….after a fairly quiet initial 15 minute when I barely noticed him, his importance to the team was there for all to see. Technically good, determined and kept possession well in tight areas. Lacks that extra yard of pace to be a real threat in the final third, but his contribution to the team should not be underestimated.
Leonard – 8….I loved everything about Ryan’s performance today. He has bundles of energy and didn’t give Chesterfield time to settle on the ball. He showed a great range of passing that I hadn’t seen before and if he stays fit then I’m sure he will go on to be our player of the season.

Clifford – 7….I was impressed by Connor alongside Leonard. After a difficult first 10 minutes when Gary Roberts seemed to be in control ofthe midfield, he suddenly came into his own, and stamped his authority on the game. His passing was accurate and he won countless tackles. I’m sure once he’s played a few more matches, we will see him get forward more to support the attacks. He was subbed after being yellow carded for a late tackle which was as ensible move from PB as the red mist had definitely started to descend!

Straker – 8…..I saw Anthony several times last season and I couldn’t stand him! He looked so far away from being a professional footballer…always giving the ball away and doing nothing positive with it. What a difference a change of position and a new manager can make. He surged forward at every opportunity and as I’ve said, linked up really well with Coker. He got in several decent crosses today, particularly in the first half and is another who will hopefully get even better in the weeks and months to come. He looked comfortable on theball, even when surrounded by opposition players in tight areas of the pitch.

Corr – 6……Not Barry’s greatest game today. Nothing seemed toquite come off for him, although his attitude and commitment couldn’t be questioned. It was probably the right time to take him off, bringing on Cowan to try and stretch their defence. Barry’s a vital member of the team though and he will have better days for sure.

Eastwood – 7….Freddy showed some good touches as usual, and you can see his confidence is returning. He had a couple of chances late on when through on goal, but was crowded out, not quite having the pace to get away from the final challenging defender. Took his goal superbly, a left foot half volley that was struck instinctively. He unfortunately began to look leggy just after Corr had been taken off which was a shame as for the last 10 minutes, we were only playing with Cowan up front which limited our attackingoptions.

Subs – Cowan 6….Chased…closed down well. But, as someone else said, I’m not quite sure if he’s as quick as we initially thought.
Hurst- 7…..his clever lay off supplied Eastwood with thec hance to grab the equaliser and he generally looked fit and gave us a definite attacking threat when he came on.
Timlin – 6….no chance to make an impression

Phil Brown – Just a quick note on Brown’s substitutions. I thought he timed all three changes really well for what it’s worth. As I earlier, it was just unfortunate that Freddy only began to look tired acouple of minutes after Corr was taken off. Had he shown signs of fatigue earlier,then PB might well have kept Corr on, and bought on Cowan to play alongside himas we were looking more likely to grab the winner than the home side.

A hugely enjoyable match and performance. I can’t wait tosee us in action again soon.

Sorry mate not sure Hurst changed the game. I thought they were all excellent. 6 ------- mins extra time what planet was that ref on.
lets take the positives and don't harp on the loss.i read Luke as held his hands up for the goal, but it could have been so different, great game, well played boys.
i would rather go down like that.
Fair enough but he gave a clever assist for the goal and put pressure on their defence which wasn't there so much before

Gutted to say the least and I think most of the 369 travelling supporters that went wanted to know how 6 mins were reached.
We will probably play a lot worse that we did today and win a match comfortably.
Again I thought it was a good performance and have to say - from what I have seen so far I am already enjoying this season.
I am please that Bentley is coming into his own and makes all the difference too have a confident keeper.

Laughing though in the programme today the player profile had Anthony Straker described as a - Dynamic Winger :smile:

Yes - it has been said a couple of times above already - we will play a lot worse than that and win.

First half was nicely balanced and a cracking save from Bentley to tip over a shot after about 25 minutes - I hope they show it on the highlights.

The second half had a lot more "needle" about it and I'm not sure that it suited us. A 1-1 draw would have been fair ......... but then football is not about being fair! Two goals from 2 set pieces. I am sure Browny won't be pleased with that.

All the team played well with the possible exception of Barry (if I was being harsh).

My Man of the Match - Straker. I know - it's madness! :hello:

Hash tag: NightboattoCairo

Last edited:
As a few have mentioned, gutted to lose, but sometimes it's more about the performance. On paper this was always going to be our toughest test so far this season, and we more than matched a Chesterfield side tipped to do well. Of course losing a game we deserved at least a point from us disappointing, but the performance wasn't. Play like that next week at Wycombe and we should get something. Still a good start to the season. Utb

That's it ! I've heard enough ! I'm up nooorth next Saturday, but I can't contain myself any longer. I'm gonna have to travel down to Wycombe with the kids. Can't miss the mighty blue boys while we're putting in displays like this.
Could one of you fine friends speak to the Mrs on my behalf, please. I'm scared !!

That's it ! I've heard enough ! I'm up nooorth next Saturday, but I can't contain myself any longer. I'm gonna have to travel down to Wycombe with the kids. Can't miss the mighty blue boys while we're putting in displays like this.
Could one of you fine friends speak to the Mrs on my behalf, please. I'm scared !!

Time management my friend. The friday before an away day take the mrs out for dinner, awww you make time for me so of course you can devote a whole day to watch football x x.........no need for thanks see you at Wycombe

Back