• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He's a good lad is Ben, takes all the normal banter in good part but, if it hasn't been done already, I think Chesterfield need to make a public apology, not just a tweet directly to him.

Digs at someones weight is wrong and needs a public apology but homophobic chanting isn't? Strange where you draw the line...

TBH it's to be expected. He works in a sport, a fitness industry where people are used to athletes at their best.. So anything out of the ordinary or someone who doesn't meet that is going to get stick. I'm sure he expects it all the time.

What if he was black gay and fat?
Transgender she-male with physical and mental disabilities that had been abused by the priest, thespian and M of P for years before appearing on TV for social outing and paternity tests!

#only in the USofA

Digs at someones weight is wrong and needs a public apology but homophobic chanting isn't? Strange where you draw the line...

For goodness sake. Are you still harking back to that? As I recall, I said I was less offended than others by what was directed at the Brighton fans. And, in any case that was fans reacting to fans, this was (presumably) an employed member of Chesterfield's staff's action towards our physio and the two scenarios are entirely different.

Suppression of natural pee taking alert!

I do so miss the old days when we could verbally attack anyone about anything. As long as the humour was good no one really cared. I'd much prefer to go to a football match in the seventies than one these days. The terrace wit was brilliant then. What would you choose as your last match to experience. One from the seventies or one from now. All my mates would go for the former.

If your job is to raise the profile of the club and all you do is make them look like a joke, then that's probably defined as unprofessional.

"All you do (he does) is make them look like a joke"....? Really? You think that is ALL he does? It was a silly and immature bit of fun, it didn't hurt anyone or slight anyone. You can't say that about the Chesterfield tweet.

Any comments made about an individual whether it is consider banter or not that, causes distress to an individual (whether that distress is viable to others or not) should and must not be tolerated.

Ben obviously has the respect of all the playing staff, I loved his reaction to the Millwall fans throwing sweets, picking them up and eating them was a great response :Worthy:

I'm sure he's used to all the jibes by now and whilst I agree that any abuse is wrong Ben always seems to rise above it and make those shouting the insults look silly!

Whether it is water of a ducks back to Ben, which knowing his charector it is, it was totally unprofessional and unacceptable coming from the official Chesterfield twitter account, and from what I have heard the apology only came after complaints from other twitter users. sincere ??

I have been told the ref has a very loving wife and he has no need to take things into his own hands.
I would like to appologise for my match day assumption screamed at the top of my voice, that this was not the case.

I don't know Ben, but I have seen several games at roots hall when he has walked back to the dugout from the south of the half way line in front of the west stand, therefore walking past lthe away fans despite it being the longest walk back !

that suggests he either enjoys it or is making a point that he won't be intimidated, or both

I can't decide what it is that I dislike the most, the Chesterfield tweet or the eagerness of those that are desperate to feel offended on behalf of others.

Back