• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tough game, no doubt about that, hope individuals will have been motivated by the deplorable tactics of Chesterfield in "tapping up" (allegedly) Ryan Cresswell and feel the need to teach the club a lesson.

On the right day, it's definitely winnable, if we all play to our full potential. Head says a 1-1 draw but heart says we might just sneak a winner.

I have some mixed views about this. We seemed to be a good defensive 11 at the moment (as highlighted by the clean sheets and playing for 45+ minutes against 10 men) ........... but that can't last for ever. It was great for Bentley to save the penalty but the reality is that ordinarily one expects the penalty taker to score.

I just feel we may concede goals on Saturday ........... but then we aren't scoring that many. That's fine so far given that a 1-0 win gets three points just as much as a 4-0.

And then I wonder about the creative flair for midfield for Saturday. Leonard and Laird have been lions in their work rate and dedication to date but if we (SUFC) were to fall behind would there then be more space as the team tries to get forward more?

Most people would say don't change a winning team and none of the players deserve to be dropped ........... but the manager has to do more than the obvious at times.

That all sounds a little pessimistic.

But it leads me to ask if they (Browny & Penny) may change the team to match the Chesterfield team and their tactics?

Me too ......... and no red cards and no injuries please.

Absolutely right! It will be my first match this year - hoping to get to the 3 that are local to me - and I would look for evidence of a really good performance and work rate even if we lose. I haven't seen SZ so upbeat for ages, if ever, so I'm looking forward to being really impressed by the potential of a relatively new squad, playing in an exciting and committed way which looks like it could belong to a higher league. If I see that and we lose 2-0 I'll be happier than if we played hoofball and looked lazy and scraped a draw. But 4 wins at the start of a season would be something rather special of course.......

Lets hope they don't score, for this Southend side look set up to prevent goals rather than scoring them, and any side that gets 1 or 2 goals against us, imo we will struggle to get the goals we require. So I am going for a 0 0 draw, with everything crossed.

Could have been 2-0 down at Bury but pulled things around to win 2-0. Got battered by Leeds in the cup, we didnt play very well, only took 2,500 to Elland Road, we were very quiet, managed to scrape a 2-0 against Cheltenham, 2-2 at Rochdale with 2 penalties against us. so we've started very slowly, and as Mr Brown says we are not favourites for the league. Whatever, it will be a good game and you should win comfortably, 3-0

The conundrum is the message of "keep it tight at the back" and we risk being TOO defensive and inviting them on to us.
We will play Fred and BBBC up top and we will need the middies to support them but not leave too much space.
My thoughts are to have Hirst ready to come on as super sub and steal all three points from a dour game in a classic 1 nil like last year.

Will settle for a draw, thinking 1-1 at the mo. Wouldn't mind all 3 points though...!!:smile:

Back