• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
So it's a team of Select Group officials two weeks in a row at Roots Hall. First up for our big match against Chesterfield is Robert Madley, one of two refereeing brothers from Ossett in West Yorkshire. Only in his 4th season he has been fast-tracked into Select Group status although he has only been given three Premiership matches this season, two involving Hull.

He has refereed Southend just twice before, both in his first season. They were the drawn Cup match at Macclesfield (3 yellows for them, one for Prosser) and the home draw with Burton which saw a red card apiece (Sawyer for us).

He has been 4th Official for quite a few Premiership matches and as a result has only done 15 matches producing a high-ish 57 yellows and 5 reds. Since we last saw him at Roots Hall he has refereed Chesterfield three times, each one being a home defeat for the Spireites. In the last of these, this season, he sent off Gary Roberts.

He seems to have attracted a fair bit of criticism in some of the games he has done outside the Premier League this season!

One of the assistant referees is Sian Massey from Coventry (who will shortly be off to Costa Rica to officiate in the Womens U17 world cup). She has lined a Southend match before (at Torquay) but this will be her Roots Hall debut. The other is Mark Scholes from Buckinghamshire who can be seen here enjoying the hospitality at Millwall.

no one likes us, I wonder why

Fourth Official is League referee Lee Collins who refereed the match this season at Newport. His performance was rather better than ours.

Thanks again Mick, was going to say that Mr Madley will no doubt be on chummy/first-name terms with Hull then, although they will probably field a full reserve side (a'la the 3rd round victory at 'Boro).

Thanks again Mick, was going to say that Mr Madley will no doubt be on chummy/first-name terms with Hull then, although they will probably field a full reserve side (a'la the 3rd round victory at 'Boro).

it'll be a shock for him when Chesterfield run out, then...

it'll be a shock for him when Chesterfield run out, then...

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

So it's a team of Select Group officials two weeks in a row at Roots Hall. First up for our big match against Chesterfield is Robert Madley, one of two refereeing brothers from Ossett in West Yorkshire. Only in his 4th season he has been fast-tracked into Select Group status although he has only been given three Premiership matches this season, two involving Hull.

He has refereed Southend just twice before, both in his first season. They were the drawn Cup match at Macclesfield (3 yellows for them, one for Prosser) and the home draw with Burton which saw a red card apiece (Sawyer for us).

He has been 4th Official for quite a few Premiership matches and as a result has only done 15 matches producing a high-ish 57 yellows and 5 reds. Since we last saw him at Roots Hall he has refereed Chesterfield three times, each one being a home defeat for the Spireites. In the last of these, this season, he sent off Gary Roberts.

He seems to have attracted a fair bit of criticism in some of the games he has done outside the Premier League this season!

One of the assistant referees is Sian Massey from Coventry (who will shortly be off to Costa Rica to officiate in the Womens U17 world cup). She has lined a Southend match before (at Torquay) but this will be her Roots Hall debut. The other is Mark Scholes from Buckinghamshire who can be seen here enjoying the hospitality at Millwall.

Fourth Official is League referee Lee Collins who refereed the match this season at Newport. His performance was rather better than ours.

Best lino in the country.

#justsaying

Thanks for the detail Mick. I also concur that Ms Massey is a top drawer Lino. Seem to remember her also officiating in one of our away games last season around Xmas or so, Burton, I think ? Did'nt put a foot wrong all game.

I thought Madley made the easy decisions quite well today - all the yellows were deserved - but he bottled a couple of big 'uns. One in our favour when he didn't give Chesterfield a first half penalty - looked clear cut to me - anyone think he got it right? Then in their favour he bottled it when he chickened out of giving Morsy a second yellow for a challenge that was just as bad as all the other yellows he dished out. Sian Massey seemed OK, though did Dan Bentley get a petty flick from behind by Richards in the second half that she ignored? The west stand lino seemed to meet the spec for all west stand linos .... useless!

Poor effort by the ref. Bottled out of sending off Morsy(No 5), then gave them a soft penalty.
His falling apart affected the little girl running the East Stand line who had been having a good game but then missed a kick by No 9 on Bentley and gave a free kick to Roberts when he fell at her feet and pleaded with her that he had been fouled.:thumbdown:

Poor effort by the ref. Bottled out of sending off Morsy(No 5), then gave them a soft penalty.
His falling apart affected the little girl running the East Stand line who had been having a good game but then missed a kick by No 9 on Bentley and gave a free kick to Roberts when he fell at her feet and pleaded with her that he had been fouled.:thumbdown:

Was going to mention this. The kick/trip on Bentley was bang out of order and needed a yellow. For the free kick, Roberts leaned back into Straker then threw himself forward and got the free kick. There has been a bit of hype about Roberts, good free kick taker etc but all I saw today was a pedantic con artist and a cheat

Was going to mention this. The kick/trip on Bentley was bang out of order and needed a yellow. For the free kick, Roberts leaned back into Straker then threw himself forward and got the free kick. There has been a bit of hype about Roberts, good free kick taker etc but all I saw today was a pedantic con artist and a cheat

It's called experience

Bottled it majorly, two clear red cards for me and I thought the penalty appeared very harsh. Also disagreed with Thompson's yellow. West stand lino was poor as anything - you can't be offside in your own half FFS!!!

Bottled it majorly, two clear red cards for me and I thought the penalty appeared very harsh. Also disagreed with Thompson's yellow. West stand lino was poor as anything - you can't be offside in your own half FFS!!!

If you mean on Barry Corr, then he was about 3 yards offside when the ball was played but he was in his own half when he received it.

How he missed the handball by their number 9 was poor though. Chesterfield seemed to try and bully us and when their player went down after a tackle by Leonard, minimal contact, his reaction was way over the top and was trying to get Leonard sent off.

I think everyone knows that (except the Chesterfield defender who tried to take the free kick in our half!).

Comfortably offside at the time the ball was played but running back fast.

People are (quite rightly) watching (and, on occasions like today, enjoying) the match rather than watching where players are off the ball. So the lino gets a volley of abuse for a perfectly correct decision. That's life for an assistant referee.

No.2 should've been sent off and No.5 should've been sent off.

Sian Massey was excellent though.

Corr was offside when he went back into his own half, but wasn't a bit later when a ball was played down the channel. Missing that handball though was a disgrace!

Thought that their shout was probably a pen in the first half (I have seen them given), but the one that he did give was never a pen in a million years.

Think that sending off the number 5 would of been harsh, as if he wasn't already on a yellow, nobody would of expected anything other than a free kick for the 2nd foul.

Lots of blue tinted specs here.

Back