• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Chesterfield v Southend United, Saturday 6th November, 3.00pm, FAC1

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 63 80.8%
  • Jason Demetriou (edit: not available - still injured)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 59 75.6%
  • John White

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • Kacper Lopata

• Shaun Hobson

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Jack Bridge

• Harry Phillips

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Zak Brunt

• Sam Dalby

• Rhys Murphy

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Louis Walsh

• Terrell Egbri

• Nathan Ralph (edit: not available - still injured)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Matt Dennis

• Will Atkinson

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Harry Seaden

• Win

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 19 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Well, what a difference a couple of days makes! Suddenly the mood on the zone has shifted from disappointment and despair to one of hope following the 4-1 spanking of Dover Athletic on Tuesday evening.

Undoubtedly it is not just the win that has contributed to this, but also the addition and contributions of two excellent loan signings who have since been given clearance to be cup-tied to Southend this season. It will be interesting to see whether any Blades fans decide to make the short trip to Chesterfield to check out the progress of two of their promising young players.

We travel to the home of the Spireites for the round that we have traditionally exited the competition in recent years, and it's less than a month since we played them in the league. That day was possibly the low point (I hope!) for this season and saw Phil Brown pay the price with his job, and set a new record of being the first manager to be sacked from jobs in each of the top 5 divisions of English football. It also saw protests on the pitch of course and a call to BBC Essex from @StanleyVictorCollymore after the game calling for change, which seems to be bearing fruit at last.

Given the performance on Tuesday night, surely there must be more confidence in the camp and, barring injuries, it is possible that no changes will be made to the starting line up. However there is potentially the option of including Nathan Ralph and/or Jason Demetriou again, but at who's expense? Ogogo is still suspended for this game and it sounds like neither Simeon Akinola nor Tom Clifford will be fit enough to be involved.

Let's hope for a more competitive game than when the Spireites visited Roots Hall in October, but how would you set the team up, who makes the starting XI and what do you predict will be the result?

I fancy us to spring a surprise win here. Think there is a new found optimism and buoyancy in the camp which will transfer itself onto the pitch against Chesterfield, particularly to channel some recompense for the recent defeat.

If Demi is fit, then it wouldn't surprise me to see him back in for Howard. Ralph I reckon may make the bench. I don't see any reason to change from a team that won their last game 4-1 unless injury dictates. Phillips and Bridge would be my concern there, in which case I would think Fergy for Phillips, and Ralph to come in to start.

Edit - in view of Demi and Ralph confirmed as still unavailable, then Howard to stay in and Walsh possibly if Bridgey is not fit.

Last edited:
Be nice to actually win a cup match for once and get a decent away day at one of the big League One sides like Ipswich or Charlton in round 2. But, as long as we give Chesterfield a proper game this time, then it's another step in the right direction I suppose.

Assuming Harry Phillips has gotten over the dead leg then I wouldn't change the side from Tuesday.

Think I saw that Chesterfield have only one fit CB and could make an 11 of injured players, (Pffft, wait until you can fill the subs bench before you reach our level these past few seasons), so it could be a good time to play them.

Again, I'd love to win. However so long as the performances continue to show we are moving the right direction then I'll be happy.

Same as before if possible. Left-hand side may be a little awkward if Bridge wasn't fit. I'm not sure if I'f go offensive with Walsh or defensive with Sayers. I bet Kinali and Gard can't wait to get back now Maher is in charge.

Gutted to be missing this game but having only missed Halifax away this season need to give the wallet a break. Would like to think we can go there in a positive frame of mind and its a free hit. So would hope the teams sets up as it did on Tuesday and go for it. Chesterfield reporting practically a whole team of injuries so they may be a bit disjointed.

seeing as Ralph and Demi are still unavailable,i doubt there will be any changes ,if any i would think Ferguson for Philips is about all.

Same as Tuesday but we need to be ready to use subs earlier if the fast, pressing game slackens, and tired legs become apparent.
Fergie, Walsh and Rush must be chomping at the bit to get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back