• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
Time to look forward to next weekend. I was delighted to have gone to the league fixture at the start of the season and to see how well we can play, even if, in the end, a result was snatched from us. To all those going up have a great time and have a pint in the Derby Tup for me! (What was the name of that light Sheffield bitter???)
Really difficult one to call but isn't that the truth for the majority of matches this season? Chesterfield had a dodgy period in October when they suffered home defeats by neighbours Mansfield and Burton but they haven't lost at home since and they seem to be buoyed up a bit, following their Cup victory against Daventry Town. those that wish to draw comfort and hope from their defeat at Newport on Sunday, should read the following.

Newport County manager Justin Edinburgh told BBC Radio Wales: "I think today was our biggest test, we came up against the best team I think I've seen in this League and it's a fantastic win.
"We're normally used to putting teams to the sword here but credit to Chesterfield they came out in that second half and they pinned us back, they got the goal and at that time they looked like they were the team who were going to go on and win it.

Whatevever happens on Saturday, I want a result...........hopefully a good one. It's going to be a very tough game and honestly, with our squad situation, I don't relish a replay that I fear we are no likelier to win. Personally, with our injury and suspension problems at the moment (Leonard, Eastwood & Woodrow), I fear that this is going to be too big an ask..
........sadly, a narrow defeat

Full respect to the Spireites they always allow the drum in and allow us to stand with no grief, nice to see a 'pro atmosphere' club - looking forward to the game

Well it was no Fratton Park for atmosphere!.......however for a modern stadium it wasn't too bad and it was great to have the necessary amenities (pubs& chippy) within easy walking distance. Disappointed there was no programme available when I arrived at the ground, quarter of an hour before kick-off.

Well it was no Fratton Park for atmosphere!.......however for a modern stadium it wasn't too bad and it was great to have the necessary amenities (pubs& chippy) within easy walking distance. Disappointed there was no programme available when I arrived at the ground, quarter of an hour before kick-off.

Oh of course not but as new Stadiums go Chesterfield is one of the better ones

Difficult game to call this. Two good footballing teams. I'd settle for a replay, get them back to Roots Hall on a bouncing Tuesday night - we don't have enough home games in December anyway!

Yes, the game earlier in the season was close ......... and a draw would have been a "fair" result .......... and I would be quite happy with another one on Saturday.

Why? Well, it gives us a chance to win at Roots Hall Football Ground and more money in the kitty and we will know what team is next in the cup (a potential incentive for both teams of course) .......... and it is possible that we will be over this "poor patch".

I know 2 wins and 1 draw is hardly a "poor patch" but let's be honest we (S.U.F.C.) have not been playing well ....... a bit like last year when we won at their ground much against the run of the game.

And, as mentioned above, a replay may allow Woodrow, Leonard and Eastwood to be back.

On the minus side a replay will be scheduled between a trip down to Torquay and a Friday home game against Rochdale ......... so that would be 3 very difficult matches within a week. :unsure: We do have a small squad so any red cards or injuries could be significant.

Woodrow sits out the 2nd match of a 3 match suspension, Atkinson is also suspended for this one (5 yellows) and Corr struggling with an ankle injury, so let's hope Eastwood and Leonard are going to be fit.

I'd definitely settle for a draw and bring them back to Roots Hall.

If Corr , Eastwood and Leonard aren't ready , I'd go with :

BENTLEY
WHITE KIERNAN PROSSER COKER
CLIFFORD LAIRD TIMLIN
HURST REID STRAKER

SUBS : SMITH NJIE PAYNE PHILLIPS THOMPSON AUGER PINNOCK

Woodrow sits out the 2nd match of a 3 match suspension, Atkinson is also suspended for this one (5 yellows) and Corr struggling with an ankle injury, so let's hope Eastwood and Leonard are going to be fit.

I'd definitely settle for a draw and bring them back to Roots Hall.

"But the Shrimpers have been boosted ahead of the tie by striking duo Barry Corr and Freddy Eastwood both resuming training." Extract from the Echo article with PB published today, lets hope it's good news for Saturday.

"But the Shrimpers have been boosted ahead of the tie by striking duo Barry Corr and Freddy Eastwood both resuming training." Extract from the Echo article with PB published today, lets hope it's good news for Saturday.

You can say that again. I said you can say that again .............

Not expecting much from this for me, maybe a 3-1 loss to bring us back down to earth a little. Prefer to either win or lose this, as others have said a draw does us no real favours (other than minor financial).

If we won here it would signal that this really could be our season, but even with a loss I won't be too downhearted.

I feel the run may come to an end here. Concentrate on the league after that. Although my dream is to play newcastle away in the third round.

Ditto with that. Newcastle away would be brilliant!

If it happened, would need to buy myself a spare lung to climb the stairs at Newcastle !!

I think the last time we played Newcastle was the 1st day of the season ......... and it rained all game and we stood in an open end so an umbrella would have been the best thing to have. I think Dave Martin was captain and we lost 3-2.

I've never yet met a Newcastle fan who admits to not going to games around this time ............. they were all loyal supporters and St James Park (the one in Newcastle rather than Exeter) has always been a fabulous ground filled to capacity at every occasion. "My ar_e" is the phrase that comes to mind ............

I think the last time we played Newcastle was the 1st day of the season ......... and it rained all game and we stood in an open end so an umbrella would have been the best thing to have. I think Dave Martin was captain and we lost 3-2.

[B]I've never yet met a Newcastle fan who admits to not going to games around this time ............. they were all loyal supporters and St James Park (the one in Newcastle rather than Exeter) has always been a fabulous ground filled to capacity at every occasion. "My ar_e" is the phrase that comes to mind ............

To be fair it was a 28,500 crowd that day and we were only getting crowds around the 4,500 mark.
Even the other 'big' clubs in Div 1 that season Sunderland, Derby, Leicester and even West Ham were only getting 15,000 crowds.

Back