• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cockle43

Manager⭐
(Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W.
Listening to BBC Essex this morning I was interested to hear that Col U have announced that they will be looking to reduce their wage bill/levels next season. It would appear from the report that the lack of a decent crowd is now beginning to bite, 2,800 the other night. It was intimated in the report that Robbie Cowling might have deep pockets which he has been dipping into but that his arms are now becoming a bit shorter and he can't reach the loose change at he bottom......

A while ago it was said that the conference facilities were paying for any shortfall in the gate income but it would now appear to not be the case.

Listening to BBC Essex this morning I was interested to hear that Col U have announced that they will be looking to reduce their wage bill/levels next season. It would appear from the report that the lack of a decent crowd is now beginning to bite, 2,800 the other night. It was intimated in the report that Robbie Cowling might have deep pockets which he has been dipping into but that his arms are now becoming a bit shorter and he can't reach the loose change at he bottom......

A while ago it was said that the conference facilities were paying for any shortfall in the gate income but it would now appear to not be the case.

Layer Road?

Non league outfit above their station ! :smile:

I'm actually suprised that we hadnt picked up one or two of their fringe players this week - their squad is pretty big for mid table L1.

Thats just shocking - what a way to run a football club. :smile: :whistling: :whistling:

Last edited:
Layer Road?

No, they have conference facilities for about 400 delegates at their current ground. A nice little earner from what I can tell - there's very few places that have free parking for that number of people in North East Essex.

I'm ashamed to say that I have had to use them more than once in the past :thumbdown:

If Cowling packed up tomorrow non show Colchester fans would only have themselfs to blame. Imo they dont deserve a league side, these low gates have been going on for years.

I was suprised it took some of you that long to start a thread about the U's/finances/attendances/

Firslty - attendance are very poor - always have been - always will without promotion/massive cup game etc (or perhaps until you lot sort yourselves out and get promoted???).

Second - our "debt" - we don't have one - we don't owe anyone anything - Cowling has bankrolled us - we aren't losing millions each season as non match-day revenues are supporting the club -- he will continue to do so but without the extravaggance previously seen under Williams/Lamber/Boothroyd which has resulted in us having a huge squad for our club in this division - players are leaving/out of contract and that's what meant by trimming budget - not all will be replaced but money is available for next season

We are lucky - we have an honest chairman who enjoys owning a club rather than seeing it as a chance to make money - he is building a training complex for us as the land adjacent will eventually be developement for housing and as the land is a club assett then the profits will go directly into the club too.

As for the winding-up orders - there is more chance of Ron giving your manager (whoever he will be next season) a transfer budget to pay for a player.

Yes we are a smaller club than you, with poorer attendances, but we are in a higher division, more financially stable that you've been in years and with a chairman that wants to be here, rather than yours who is looking to exit as soon as he's got the most out of the sale of Roots Hall and potential new stadium at FF.

Laugh at us all you like but I would bet that there is not a single one of you that would rather be in our league, with our chairman that league two with Ron Martin in charge eh??!

Still cannot believe them Farm Hand Carrot crunching imbreds are a league above the mighty Shrimpers... good news though from Care in the community stadium ..lol

I was suprised it took some of you that long to start a thread about the U's/finances/attendances/

Firslty - attendance are very poor - always have been - always will without promotion/massive cup game etc (or perhaps until you lot sort yourselves out and get promoted???).

Second - our "debt" - we don't have one - we don't owe anyone anything - Cowling has bankrolled us - we aren't losing millions each season as non match-day revenues are supporting the club -- he will continue to do so but without the extravaggance previously seen under Williams/Lamber/Boothroyd which has resulted in us having a huge squad for our club in this division - players are leaving/out of contract and that's what meant by trimming budget - not all will be replaced but money is available for next season

We are lucky - we have an honest chairman who enjoys owning a club rather than seeing it as a chance to make money - he is building a training complex for us as the land adjacent will eventually be developement for housing and as the land is a club assett then the profits will go directly into the club too.

As for the winding-up orders - there is more chance of Ron giving your manager (whoever he will be next season) a transfer budget to pay for a player.

Yes we are a smaller club than you, with poorer attendances, but we are in a higher division, more financially stable that you've been in years and with a chairman that wants to be here, rather than yours who is looking to exit as soon as he's got the most out of the sale of Roots Hall and potential new stadium at FF.

Laugh at us all you like but I would bet that there is not a single one of you that would rather be in our league, with our chairman that league two with Ron Martin in charge eh??!
No one is saying your in dept, and we no as well as you that Colchester are kept afloat by your rich chairman. What i am saying is that the general public around the Colchester area dont deserve a league side, with there non league attendances, and also are not backing there chairman, who imo will eventualy get fed up with feeding a lost course.

No, they have conference facilities for about 400 delegates at their current ground. A nice little earner from what I can tell - there's very few places that have free parking for that number of people in North East Essex.

I'm ashamed to say that I have had to use them more than once in the past :thumbdown:

I thought they had conference facilities for about 10,000 fans and a team.

:hilarious:

Good ploy - get your retaliation in first! You wont find many on here who wouldnt swap our two chairmen!

Col U have been punching well above their weight for a few years now. Its been amazing me to listen to Col U fans slagging off the lack of investment in the Club this season and speaking of get back to the Championship, 'where they belong'. Our very own Chairman came out with that crap when we went up, which set him of on his mission to build a 22k seat Super stadium - a project that has become so bogged down, its nearly finished the club!

Just savour the past few years, Mr Col U fan, you DO seem to have a good chairman and need to look after him, they are few and far between.

Back