• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chico - Worth the money?

• Yes - The kids loved it and it was good fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Bloke is a total tool - Bring back the Opera bloke.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
First off I must say that I cant knock the club for making an effort to get in more fans. The kids are the life blood of the club and if we can get them in young we can keep them for life. I think we are tremendos at this and long may it continue.

However - I have got to say whoever booked Chico has in my book made a bit of a boob. Baring in mind in the past we have had a few decent(ish) people down at the Hall.

Saturday looking from the front row of the south upper down on the kids by the south lower wall not one of them seemed remotely interested in Chico.

His performance was the worst seen at the hall since the days of Neville Roach. It was so bad even the players were wetting themselves.

With a reported fee of £3k to play which may or may not be true I cant help but think we could have got the army blokes in the fought with Elvis Eel for a lot less.

Anyone with Kids at the game care to let us know their thoughts?

upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 20 2006,11:40)]First off I must say that I cant knock the club for making an effort to get in more fans. The kids are the life blood of the club and if we can get them in young we can keep them for life. I think we are tremendos at this and long may it continue.

However - I have got to say whoever booked Chico has in my book made a bit of a boob. Baring in mind in the past we have had a few decent(ish) people down at the Hall.

Saturday looking from the front row of the south upper down on the kids by the south lower wall not one of them seemed remotely interested in Chico.

His performance was the worst seen at the hall since the days of Neville Roach. It was so bad even the players were wetting themselves.

With a reported fee of £3k to play which may or may not be true I cant help but think we could have got the army blokes in the fought with Elvis Eel for a lot less.

upside.gif
did he definitely cost 3k?

Or is it one of those things made up on here? I thought the company who did the PA systerm used these family days to showcase their acts, presumably free?

The best was the opera singer vs Brentford in January and I can't stand the opera.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Nov. 20 2006,11:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 20 2006,11:40)]First off I must say that I cant knock the club for making an effort to get in more fans. The kids are the life blood of the club and if we can get them in young we can keep them for life. I think we are tremendos at this and long may it continue.

upside.gif
did he definitely cost 3k?

Or is it one of those things made up on here? I thought the company who did the PA systerm used these family days to showcase their acts, presumably free?

The best was the opera singer vs Brentford in January and I can't stand the opera.
I am only going by what someone said on here which is usually made up....Even so if we paid any money for him I think it was too much......

The Opera bloke was ok....Didnt mind the "Out of Touch" club classic thing.......Even the Cheeky girls as they accepted they are a joke act....

As for Chico - Love to smack the bloke full on in the face for making me sit through his performances...

I am thinking of entering next years X-Factor. I cant sing or dance so I am hoping for a final 8 place.....

JOKER
mad.gif
mad.gif

And perhaps Chico's fee would have been better spent put towards the beam back... something the fans actually wanted....

But when did what the fans want ever come in to the clubs thinking?!?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Nov. 20 2006,12:38)]And perhaps Chico's fee would have been better spent put towards the beam back... something the fans actually wanted....

All 300 of them.

I still have no idea who Chico is (nor do I have any real desire to find out who he is), but if he put an extra 300 on the gate, then that was money well spent. The South Lower seemed packed full of kids, so maybe it worked.

Last time we played Plymouth we had 3,716 there, on Saturday there was 9,469. OK, we've gone up a couple of divisions, but when we played them in 1991 in the (old) 2nd division there was only 4585 there.

Chico is a tip-top entertainer, another legend to add to the greats of British artistes, and I for one was so very glad to see his unique talent on our hallowed turf.

After all, when are you ever again going to see someone listed in the Guinness Book Of Records under "Person That's Made The Biggest C**t Of Himself But Doesn't Realise It"?

300,000 pennies very well spent. Well done SUFC.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Nov. 20 2006,12:38)]And perhaps Chico's fee would have been better spent put towards the beam back... something the fans actually wanted....

1) Out of interest would you have come to see Southend play if they hadn't done the family day?

2) Would you have come to Roots Hall regardless of what else was happening just to watch the football?

Yes ... if I was still in the UK ... I don't need some crooning tw&t to attract me to the football; kids are going to grow up thinking that SUFC is all about Chico Time!
biggrin.gif

Some of the acts we've got in have been ok, some haven't been as good, but who on earth decided to get that knob Chico?!!!

Absolutely, completely and utterly atrocious!

Was there one person inthe ground that wanted to see him??

The fact that he was booed and told to F&%£ Off as soon as he came on said it all.

Please think about these 'performances' a bit more SUFC - put simply no-one who turns up for a football match wants to witness that embarrasing trash.

I'd say your wrong.

We sold out the family areas for the first time in weeks, had to allocate additional space within the ground to cope, and all without a ticketing discount.

I'd say off the back of that it was a success. These days are not aimed at you guys and gals. Your the hardcore that come rain or shine, we're trying to build a fanbase for the future so we can get excellent gates at the new stadium.

You come to Roots Hall every week for the football, but for some people they want a little bit more.

And if these people turn into the fans of the future who want to keep coming back to our games for the football its been worth it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Nov. 20 2006,14:54)]
[b said:

1) Out of interest would you have come to see Southend play if they hadn't done the family day?

2) Would you have come to Roots Hall regardless of what else was happening just to watch the football?
I was coming regardless with my son who is 7 as STHs, but my 3 year old is heavily into dancing and would have gone if a little older to see supposed professional dancers ( personally I thought the NOTW were much better than the Blue Belles) and my wife would have come if one of the latest X Factor batch were appearing, but Chico did not do it for her.

So a similar situation would have pulled in 2 extra punters.

Also spoke to a Dad and a son who had come to Roots Hall for the first time as it was a family day. Who knows, they may return.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Nov. 20 2006,14:54)]
[b said:

Actually that is a much better poll, if 200 - 300 people turned up especially to see him, then financially it makes sense.

But why oh why Chico?!!!

Many other 'acts' could have attracted Kids and anyone would have been more bearable than the tacky tones of that fool!

Also if 50 of those people come to further games then definately makes sense.

I took my kids to see the Xmas lights being turned on in Chelmsford on Thursday, and appearing on the BBC Essex stage was Andy someone-or-other who was an X-Factor finalist last year. He sang two songs, definitely live, and I must say he was very good indeed. He could actually sing, and perform well - unlike most of these talent show incumbents.

He may be a good idea for a future performance at the Mecca of football. Surely better than his X-Factor peer $hite-o?

Back