• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chris Guthrie hat trick

Hello

Full Back
Hi all.
Congratulations on your result on Saturday.
I am a Sheffield United fan.
Doing an article about Chris Guthrie.
I know he achieved a record, namely, he was the player who got a hat trick of headers v Halifax Town , for Southend, then for Sheffield United.
Was the game for you, on Sept 2 1974?
I looked on head to head stats but goalscorers not given, you won 4 0.
On Sept 10 1975 he headed three for Sheffield United v Halifax Town in a 4 2 away League cup win..Any confirmation from you folks most welcome.
Thanks.

Hi
Congrats on the blades making the promised land ..
The game you refer too ..sufc v Halifax 2/9/74 ..
Chris Guthrie indeed got a hat trick ..i think Stuart brace scored the other
But that last goalscorer may be incorrect ..but Guthrie got hat trick
Regards sussexshrimper

Thanks so much for that.
All three were headers , as were ours a year later.
Chris was much maligned, but definitely had his moments of achievement.

You are very welcome ..indeed a pretty decent forward in my eyes
Prone to laziness at times ..just a point I am sure you remember
A winger called Colin Morris.., who gave great service to both of our clubs
Regards

The one and only Colin Morris.
Thanks again for your help.

One fact about Southend.
You were relegated to Div 4 in 1989.
That season you beat us home and away but we went up to Div 2 .

I remember ..i went to the game at roots hall ..
By the way one of my mates is a Scotsman called Dave Cunningham
Who played in that Halifax game ..a half decent winger who can count
Aston villa amongst his club's
Regards

I remember ..i went to the game at roots hall ..
By the way one of my mates is a Scotsman called Dave Cunningham
Who played in that Halifax game ..a half decent winger who can count
Aston villa amongst his club's
Regards

Did he have a brother ?...Laurie...quality player him

Apologies it's after closing time

"Six foot two
Eyes of blue
Big Chris Guthrie
Is after you."
Teenagers used to chant this at Bramall Lane, about our centre forward with that silly fringe.

This post brings back the old days. Southend United had a club house for players next door to me at Orchardside in Eastwood. Both Chris Guthrie and Dave Cunningham were my neighbours. Chris was a very nice man, who I played golf with at Belfairs. He very much better at the game than I was. As for Dave Cunningham I did not have so much contact with him. Others were Derek Parker, Alister Love etc.
At that time Dave Smith, our manager was often calling in to see his team members.
I saw them all play, great times of long ago.

was also at that gamebut do not remember anything about it.
But im sure it C.Guthrie....but my father ,those days had a season ticket for both Sheff utd & Wednesday.
Did we not sell him for about 100,000??
anyway,i liked him(Guthrie),but my father told me "he was the worst centerforward" he had ever seen in Sheffield.
At leastyou,like me,thought he was good

Overall, he was dreadful in Division one as Blades got relegated immediately, by the end of March.

Back