• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who was the greater Southend legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chris Guthrie joined us from Newcastle and was a more than adequate replacement for Bill Garner, good in the air and deceptively good on the deck, I think his most memorable match IMO was at Roots Hall against QPR in the FA Cup 3rd Round. QPR were a seriously good side then with the likes of Bowles, Francis, Givens etc, we were 2-0 down and came back to draw 2-2 Guthrie scoring one and IIRC Davie Cunningham the other. Sadly we lost the replay 2-0. He eventually left us for Swindon for about 100k.

Chico Hamilton joined as from Chelsea as an 18 year old, IIRC he made his debut for Chelsea as a 16 year old scoring on debut against Spurs. Skillful left sided midfielder who scored some fine goals for us in the wonderful season of 68/69. He left to join Tommy Docherty's Aston Villa for around 50k, a considerable sum then, comsidering the British record fee was about 150k. I'll probably opt for Chico because of the team he played in, and I think he was a better player than Chris.

Liked Guthrie, thought he went to Sheffield United though, or came from there? Maybe that was later.

Liked Guthrie, thought he went to Sheffield United though, or came from there? Maybe that was later.

Joined us from Newcastle in November 1972 after Garner had gone to Chelsea, left in May 1975 for Sheffield United, :embarrassed: I think he played for Swindon later in his career.

And he was another one of the more famous brother club, being brother of Ron who played in the Sunderland team that won the cup in the early 70's.

Another difficult one to call to my way of thinking.

Chico Hamilton brilliant young midfielder signed as already said from chelsea. I think we signed him under the noses of a lot of bigger clubs and everyone wondered how we had managed to pull that deal off. Seem to remember him in cup game against Villa then away win at swindon (don rodgers) and all where I think he scored.

Chris Guthrie big strong forward particulary good in the air very strong and loved to mix things up a bit. What I wold call a `proper centre forward`

Not sure at the moment who will get my vote

Chris Guthrie joined us from Newcastle and was a more than adequate replacement for Bill Garner, good in the air and deceptively good on the deck, I think his most memorable match IMO was at Roots Hall against QPR in the FA Cup 3rd Round. QPR were a seriously good side then with the likes of Bowles, Francis, Givens etc, we were 2-0 down and came back to draw 2-2 Guthrie scoring one and IIRC Davie Cunningham the other. Sadly we lost the replay 2-0. He eventually left us for Swindon for about 100k.

Chico Hamilton joined as from Chelsea as an 18 year old, IIRC he made his debut for Chelsea as a 16 year old scoring on debut against Spurs. Skillful left sided midfielder who scored some fine goals for us in the wonderful season of 68/69. He left to join Tommy Docherty's Aston Villa for around 50k, a considerable sum then, comsidering the British record fee was about 150k. I'll probably opt for Chico because of the team he played in, and I think he was a better player than Chris.
Same views as above, both cracking players but Chico the more skilful. My big memory of Chico was the 2-0 FACup win against Swindon when Swindon were flying high, when we smacked them at the County Ground. The record 'Obl-de,Obla-da' by 'Marmalade' was blaring out on the loudspeakers before the match. Think of that game every time I hear the tune. Happy days!!

Chico all the way for me, but i wouldnt Guthrie up front for us now, he would scare div 2 centre halfs witlest.

There's some rose-tinted views of Chico as a player on this thread - but he WAS glamorous having come from Chelsea and all that went with it. Southend don't do glamour as a rule, not that I minded Guthrie.
But he got lumped in with the Derrick/Stuart-Parker-OK-type-of-forward we had loads of in the 70s and 80s.
Chico also became something of a hero at AV when he left us. A pal was a Villa fan, and he used to rib me that his club now had Hamilton.

There's some rose-tinted views of Chico as a player on this thread - but he WAS glamorous having come from Chelsea and all that went with it. Southend don't do glamour as a rule, not that I minded Guthrie.
But he got lumped in with the Derrick/Stuart-Parker-OK-type-of-forward we had loads of in the 70s and 80s.
Chico also became something of a hero at AV when he left us. A pal was a Villa fan, and he used to rib me that his club now had Hamilton.

I always remembered Guthrie as being a good deal better than either of the Parkers.

Back