• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question appeared on skysports.com on Friday 4th Feb.

Are you surprised at how well Southend are doing so far? (Darren Venus)

I was initially surprised at how well they were doing, but I had a good chat with Spencer Prior after Steve Tilson went in and he said he had plenty of good qualities and might do better than Southend in the long run. To get a glowing report from someone who has been around, like Spencer has, is a good sign. I thought Freddy Eastwood was a good signing and he has chipped in with some goals since joining from Grays.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Feb. 07 2005,13:03)]might do better than Southend in the long run
I doubt Spinner put it quite like that - sounds like Mr. Kamara's typical attitude to anything outside the glamour clubs breaking through to me....

ghostface.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Feb. 07 2005,14:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Feb. 07 2005,13:03)]might do better than Southend in the long run
I doubt Spinner put it quite like that - sounds like Mr. Kamara's typical attitude to anything outside the glamour clubs breaking through to me....

ghostface.gif

mad.gif
Don't think CK does have an attitude like that to lower clubs at all.

I think what Spinner is saying is that Tilly is doing a great job and could be at a higher club than Leage 2. Heres hoping that Tilly and Southend are higher next year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Feb. 07 2005,14:28)]
[b said:

ghostface.gif
mad.gif
I always find Kammy seems to know his stuff when it comes to the lower leagues, I've never found him disrespectful towards the basement leagues at all.

OK, I withdraw my whinge then
smile.gif

Just wound me up with the "Better than Southend" bit... There is NOTHING better that the Shrimpers.

biggrin.gif

Don't give in too easily SiaK... this is the second time this guy has condescended to say things about Southend United that have wound me up... Kamara is a tit and talks out of his backside!
mad.gif

If you're reading this Kamara... go and boil your head!
rock.gif

FWIW I think Tilly would be nowhere near as good anywhere else. He is Southend through and through, and has a passion that wouldn't exist elsewhere. I'd be amazed if he went anywhere else at all, actually.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Feb. 07 2005,22:43)]FWIW I think Tilly would be nowhere near as good anywhere else. He is Southend through and through, and has a passion that wouldn't exist elsewhere. I'd be amazed if he went anywhere else at all, actually.
Spot on!
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Feb. 07 2005,22:43)]FWIW I think Tilly would be nowhere near as good anywhere else.  He is Southend through and through, and has a passion that wouldn't exist elsewhere.  I'd be amazed if he went anywhere else at all, actually.
I disagree, I think Tilson has a desire to win and to play good football. Thats a great basis for a mangerial style and career, what he wouldn't have had anywhere else was respect, but because of his history at this club, he had fans and players respect at this club and has used that to become a manager. Now I hope he never leaves thus never proving us right or wrong! But FWIW I think his style and ideals would make him a success at most teams, particulary at a higher level.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Feb. 07 2005,22:43)]FWIW I think Tilly would be nowhere near as good anywhere else.  He is Southend through and through, and has a passion that wouldn't exist elsewhere.  I'd be amazed if he went anywhere else at all, actually.
Agree 100%. Was Blue through and through as a player and the passion is there for all to see as a manager. There's no chance in hell of Tilly abandoning us for another club, so let's back him all the way to Cardiff (again) and enjoy every minute now that our club is on the rise and destined for League 1 in the next 3 years!
cool.gif

It certainly is the ideal set up at the moment and from a fans' perspective, long may it conitnue.

However, for some reason, I can't see Tilly staying here for ten years (he'll get bored once we make the Champions League) and I think his determination and professionalism, there for all to see in his playing days, will give him a very sound basis for building other managerial qualities.

Still, I can't see him anywhere other than Southend for at least two or three seasons. Especially if we keep up the form we've had so far!

[b said:
Sorry guys, get with the real world. If he continues to have success with us and a bigger club playing in a higher league offers him a job there's every chance he'll take it.

However I firmly believe he'll handle the situation in the right way and won't do a Judas Fry on us and I'd hope that we as Southend fans will respect his decision and wish him well (unless he goes to W**t H*m of course in which case I'll be shinning up the nearest lamp post to hang his effigy from it  
mad.gif
).

To say he'll never go elsewhere is the same as saying Southend fans will never call for his head if results go against us - of course we will, that's how football works

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 08 2005,09:19)]
[b said:
Sorry guys, get with the real world. If he continues to have success with us and a bigger club playing in a higher league offers him a job there's every chance he'll take it.

However I firmly believe he'll handle the situation in the right way and won't do a Judas Fry on us and I'd hope that we as Southend fans will respect his decision and wish him well (unless he goes to W**t H*m of course in which case I'll be shinning up the nearest lamp post to hang his effigy from it  
mad.gif
).

To say he'll never go elsewhere is the same as saying Southend fans will never call for his head if results go against us - of course we will, that's how football works
I agree that he could be successful at other clubs because of his desire to play good football and the passion he has for the game.

However, Tilly is not one motivated by money so I do not think he would walk out on us if a higher club came in for him. He had plenty of options as a player and could have earned a great deal more away from this football club, but decided to stay here.

Anyone who knows him will know that the only club outside the top flight who could poach him is Leeds United.

I can quite possibly see Tilly in another management job though if it doesn't work out here and think he has the ability to succeed with lower division clubs!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 08 2005,10:19)]
[b said:

mad.gif
).

Yeah, like when - as a player - he left us for Coventry City when they came in for him.

Never forgave him for that. *******!

mad.gif

(Sorry, just playing Devil's advocate. I actually find this thread rather amusing. Has it really got to this stage already?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Feb. 08 2005,09:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 08 2005,09:19)]
[b said:

mad.gif
).

I agree that he could be successful at other clubs because of his desire to play good football and the passion he has for the game.

However, Tilly is not one motivated by money so I do not think he would walk out on us if a higher club came in for him. He had plenty of options as a player and could have earned a great deal more away from this football club, but decided to stay here.

Anyone who knows him will know that the only club outside the top flight who could poach him is Leeds United.

I can quite possibly see Tilly in another management job though if it doesn't work out here and think he has the ability to succeed with lower division clubs!
I do hope you're right but what if, say, Reading came in for him? Brand new stadium, Championship football and a decent transfer budget on offer. I wouldn't blame him for going, I'd be disapointed of course but would wish him every success.

He's not immune to the harsh realities of football and I'm sure remembers being released by Ronnie Whelan - I wonder if at that point he regretted not taking the chance to move to Coventry earlier in his career?

Ideal situation of course would be that he becomes our very own Dario Gradi, but realistically that is not likely.

I wonder what Chris Waddle's answer would be on the same question considering he tipped us for relegations at the beginning of the season
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 08 2005,13:00)]I wonder what Chris Waddle's answer would be on the same question considering he tipped us for relegations at the beginning of the season
biggrin.gif
Anyone who saw Burnley during his brief stint as manager knows not to pay too much attention to Waddle's wisdom when it comes to the lower leagues - I doubt he'd seen us play when he came out with that load of b******s.

Let's give him his due though, he was nearer the mark when it comes to the Ooze.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 08 2005,13:00)]I wonder what Chris Waddle's answer would be on the same question considering he tipped us for relegations at the beginning of the season
biggrin.gif
Yeah, his column's in the Sun is the biggest load of sh*te i have ever read in my life and i am sure he has a bottle of Jamesons beforehand.

Well, to put the cat amongst the pidgeons, I hear Tilly's been offered a 2 or 3 year contract from the end of this season but, for whatever reasons, hasn't accepted yet.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SoC @ Feb. 08 2005,13:20)]Well, to put the cat amongst the pidgeons, I hear Tilly's been offered a 2 or 3 year contract from the end of this season but, for whatever reasons, hasn't accepted yet.....
Presumably because, if he takes us up and/or to the LDV Final plus playoffs, he can ask for a sh*t-load more money than he's currently on...?

Please, let's have no idle speculation about this.

oops.gif

Back