• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chris Phillips and The Echo

I know this has been mentioned before (i think:confused: ), but seriously that guy needs to get some new phrases, i.e. 'the basildon based forward', 'the highly rated goal getter', and most recently 'for the goal-getter was responsible...', bla bla bla!! Seriously he needs to broaden his vocab a bit. Also as well, everytime he interviews a SUFC fan it is always the same bloody people; Matt Donohugh and Adam Duffill, there is more Southend fans than them two!!
Also as well i have to pick up on his spelling, it's awful, surely the editors, if they have any, at the echo must realise them, especially in todays echo; he spelt the word 'exclusive' completely and utterly wrong; 'exclusice'!
Now come on mate you may be a nice person etc but you are writing sport articles about Southend with the same phrases and wrong spellings!! I know its only the echo, but if you can't spell how did you get the job!?

Last edited by a moderator:
no ones as bad as essex fm. whenever they report anything about sufc they havn't got a clue what they were talking about and are often wrong with what they say

I know this has been mentioned before (i think:confused: ), but seriously that guy needs to get some new phrases, i.e. 'the basildon based forward', 'the highly rated goal getter', and most recently 'for the goal-getter was responsible...', bla bla bla!! Seriously he needs to broaden his vocab a bit. Also as well, everytime he interviews a SUFC fan it is always the same bloody people; Matt Donohugh and Adam Duffill (bum chums), there is more Southend fans than them two!!
Also as well i have to pick up on his spelling, it's awful, surely the editors, if they have any, at the echo must realise them, especially in todays echo; he spelt the word 'exclusive' completely and utterly wrong; 'exclusice'!
Now come on mate you may be a nice person etc but you are writing sport articles about Southend with the same phrases and wrong spellings!! I know its only the echo, but if you can't spell how did you get the job!?

The Echo's always been like that - 'the former Spurs trainee', 'the tough-tackling midfielder' etc...

Or the fact that "V" and "C" are next to each other on the keyboard and it was an accidental mistake...

Oh and one letter incorrect... Yes 'completely and utterly wrong' I agree :flamer:
beat me to it, not a spelling mistake but a typo

I know this has been mentioned before (i think:confused: ), but seriously that guy needs to get some new phrases, i.e. 'the basildon based forward', 'the highly rated goal getter', and most recently 'for the goal-getter was responsible...', bla bla bla!! Seriously he needs to broaden his vocab a bit. Also as well, everytime he interviews a SUFC fan it is always the same bloody people; Matt Donohugh and Adam Duffill (bum chums), there is more Southend fans than them two!!

Sorry, but I think this is totally unnecessary. When I write the match reports for this site, it is a struggle to come up with different ways of describing a player and it's hard enough in one report so over a season the same phrases are bound to be duplicated. I'm not a trained journalist but Chris writes every day, not once a fortnight and he must find it very difficult.

To have a go at him and the Echo means it really is close season!

Nail on head FBM.

When articals upon articals are written, it is very hard to come up with something different. So you end up thinking of a name that best describes the player. Eastwood is a goal getter, which is why he's called a goal getter. Better than calling him a goal keeper I suppose.

The thing that really annoys is me is when they talk about a goalkeeper as a "custodian" or "shot stopper". Blimey hes a goalie, or a keeper. Why cant they write the same way people talk. How many times have you discussed who will be the custodian for this weeks sunday morning game?

A few years ago the club asked the Trust if they could assist in finding a matchday reporter for the official site. They wanted someone who would be going to the away games who would write a report for the web site and program (This was pre Scriv). Lets just say they were not innundated with volunteers , yet the 16 year old who did it (sometimes writing the report at 4 in the morning before going to bed after a long away trip) occasionally got similar critiscisms.......
Chris does a good job, I would imagine that he had more copy in yesterdays paper than any other reporter and generally I would guess that he has less time to do his articles than anyone else . How many other stories in the paper are that detailed about events which happened at 8-9.30 the previous evening ? (or even 3-5 the previous afternoon for that matter)

Sorry, but I think this is totally unnecessary. When I write the match reports for this site, it is a struggle to come up with different ways of describing a player and it's hard enough in one report so over a season the same phrases are bound to be duplicated. I'm not a trained journalist but Chris writes every day, not once a fortnight and he must find it very difficult.

To have a go at him and the Echo means it really is close season!

Hear hear! Roll on August and have something sensible to talk about. God help us and save us from this drivel.

Last edited:
And how many times have you listened to john Motson commentate.......... he uses the same script for every match just inserting the team line ups......"and for those of you watching in black and white" may be a familiar phrase for people on here that like me are of a certain age !!!!

I write a small piece in Brentwood's local rag about the Brentwood Sunday League, and it's very difficult to think up new things to say every week. There's only so many ways you can describe goalscorers and goals being scored...
I'd hate to have to try and write it every day, so perhaps people should go easy on Mr. Phillips.

I've just gone through your post and highlighted everything that is wrong, either spelling, grammar, failure to capitalize, wrong punctuation, incorrect use of language or clear ignorance as to the meanings of words.

For instance - learn what "also" means. You do not need the words "also" and "as well" next to each other.

Like many of the older chaps on here, the misuse of grammar is something that really digs at me but I am not one of those who forever pick others up on it. However, when you criticise others for that very thing (not withstanding the fact that the person in question is a journalist) then in my book you become fair game, so best you be absolutely spot on before deriding others.

Last edited:
Back